"Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: "Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 pm

ccass wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
Oh man, I keep slapping my hand away from the mouse but I am not sure how long I can keep it up, someone needs to buy that thing.
Me too

I got a better than new Alphas AIR I may need a home for if I can't sell it.
No worry boyzz, I am keeping your wallets happy! ;)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm

freelancer27 wrote:Hi all,

I am in the same boat. Looking for a BFS rod that I can throw true 1/16th lures on for bass fishing.

Looking at the three following models:

MS-X CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER MS-X
Length & Power:
6'5''+L
$274.99

$274.99

CORZZA CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER CORZZA
Length & Power:
6'5''+UL
$169.99

$169.99

SPEEDSTYLE CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER SPEEDSTYLE
Length & Power:
6'4''+L
$239.99

Any thoughts on this?
True 1/16 oz baits are going to be tough on an BFS stick and even more difficult if they are micro hardbaits like tiny poppers and cranks. The VKC 65UL is great at a 1/16 jig head and a tiny soft plastic but it's not ideal for 1/16 total weight but it'll do it. Being a BFS rod the rod is fairly stiff for an UL once you get past the tip. A softer non bass taper will load more deeply and cast a true 1/16 oz bait better. I don't even fish any baits that weight a true 1/16 for bass and I fish a lot of little stuff. Are you sure you want a BFS stick? Would a casting trout rod work? These "trout" rods are designed for trout and have very flexible, often times very small diameter, blanks that allow them to load deeply with tiny baits. Just a thought.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 pm

LowRange wrote:

I am in the same boat. Looking for a BFS rod that I can throw true 1/16th lures on for bass fishing.

MS-X CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER MS-X
Length & Power:
6'5''+L
$274.99

$274.99

CORZZA CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER CORZZA
Length & Power:
6'5''+UL
$169.99

$169.99

SPEEDSTYLE CASTING
Length & Power:
6'4''+L
$239.99

Any thoughts on this?
True 1/16 oz baits are going to be tough on an BFS stick and even more difficult if they are micro hardbaits like tiny poppers and cranks. The VKC 65UL is great at a 1/16 jig head and a tiny soft plastic but it's not ideal for 1/16 total weight but it'll do it. Being a BFS rod the rod is fairly stiff for an UL once you get past the tip. A softer non bass taper will load more deeply and cast a true 1/16 oz bait better. I don't even fish any baits that weight a true 1/16 for bass and I fish a lot of little stuff. Are you sure you want a BFS stick? Would a casting trout rod work? These "trout" rods are designed for trout and have very flexible, often times very small diameter, blanks that allow them to load deeply with tiny baits. Just a thought.
Yeah, fair enough! I was thinking of getting a trout rod as well. I think I am trying a BFS rod and see how it goes. I can always sell it again (for a small loss) or use it for different applications.

Thanks for your comment though!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

MS-X CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER MS-X
Length & Power:
6'5''+L
$274.99

$274.99

CORZZA CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER CORZZA
Length & Power:
6'5''+UL
$169.99

$169.99

SPEEDSTYLE CASTING
Length & Power:
6'4''+L
$239.99

Any thoughts on this?
Yeah, fair enough! I was thinking of getting a trout rod as well. I think I am trying a BFS rod and see how it goes. I can always sell it again (for a small loss) or use it for different applications.

Thanks for your comment though!
Did you buy the VKC 65UL? If so, that's a great rod and and really good UL BFS stick. Bonus point for being a one piece too.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 am

LowRange wrote:

MS-X CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER MS-X
Length & Power:
6'5''+L
$274.99

$274.99

CORZZA CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER CORZZA
Length & Power:
6'5''+UL
$169.99

$169.99

SPEEDSTYLE CASTING
Length & Power:
6'4''+L
$239.99

Any thoughts on this?
This is the rod I use for 1/16oz and below:

Custom Phenix Mirage 6'1" UL

I can cast 1/16oz very easy.

I'll make a video of the casting capability of the rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 am

As UI indicated in a previous post, I bought the 6'8" G-Rods Game Changer "jerkbait" rod during the TW Labor Day discount sale.

I have been busy with a home-repair project so I did not have a fishing opportunity until yesterday, 8/20. (The wire shelving in the master bedroom closet collapsed, and it needed immediate attention or else there going to be some domestic problems.)

The rod just felt "right" when I unpacked it and held it in my hand.

One thing that I noticed is that the tip is a little stronger than other ML baitcasting rods where the tip section feels fragile.

I put on a Daiwa SS SV 103 and the balance felt "right on." 8 lb test co-polymer.

I shore fished a small local reservoir, starting with a 1/8 Ned rig. The casting was great....loading was very good. I recently tried a BCR802, but it didn't load very well. But the G-Rod was good, enabling me to get excellent distance and accuracy.

I then switched to a 4-inch weightless Senko. Same results, except distance was good but not quite as far as the Ned.

In summary, I like the rod very much. I enjoyed using the combination.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm

BlaineFred wrote:As UI indicated in a previous post, I bought the 6'8" G-Rods Game Changer "jerkbait" rod during the TW Labor Day discount sale.

I have been busy with a home-repair project so I did not have a fishing opportunity until yesterday, 8/20. (The wire shelving in the master bedroom closet collapsed, and it needed immediate attention or else there going to be some domestic problems.)

The rod just felt "right" when I unpacked it and held it in my hand.

One thing that I noticed is that the tip is a little stronger than other ML baitcasting rods where the tip section feels fragile.

I put on a Daiwa SS SV 103 and the balance felt "right on." 8 lb test co-polymer.

I shore fished a small local reservoir, starting with a 1/8 Ned rig. The casting was great....loading was very good. I recently tried a BCR802, but it didn't load very well. But the G-Rod was good, enabling me to get excellent distance and accuracy.

I then switched to a 4-inch weightless Senko. Same results, except distance was good but not quite as far as the Ned.

In summary, I like the rod very much. I enjoyed using the combination.
Did you use a 1/8 oz head on a TRD or 1/8 oz total weight?

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 pm

It was a 1/8 head...

I wanted to try a little heavier lure at first, and then move to a lighter lure like the weightless 4-inch Senko.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 pm

It was a 1/8 head...

I wanted to try a little heavier lure at first, and then move to a lighter lure like the weightless 4-inch Senko.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm

BlaineFred wrote:It was a 1/8 head...

I'm guessing the head and plastic weighs in near a 1/4 oz. That sounds about right for a M jerkbait rod. Keep us posted on how low the rod can go. I'd like to see how it handles a 1/20 head and trd.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 pm

The TRD 2 3/4 inch plastic weighs 0.162 oz or 1/6 oz. More than a 3-inch Fat Senko.

My wife weighed a lot of my plastics back in 2015 on her very accurate scale in the university medical research lab where she worked as a research scientist.

I posted the weights in 2015, here in the plastics section of "Tackle."

I just bumped my original post to get it up front to get more attention.

My lure weight using the 1/8 head and the 1/6 oz TRD equals 14/48 or 7/24 oz. if it was 8/24, it would be 1/3, so 7/24 is slightly less than 1/3 which is more than 1/4 oz (12/48)if my fraction math is correct.

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 am

Blank Cts elite xf light
Amazing rod and a joy to fish With a bsf reel

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Even a 4" weightless Senko is a 1/4oz minimum, any M rod and decent reel can easily cast it. I don't understand the goal here.
Andy

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Drew03cmc wrote:Even a 4" weightless Senko is a 1/4oz minimum, any M rod and decent reel can easily cast it. I don't understand the goal here.
1/4 ounce is the high end the OP wants to cast. He is looking for a rod to cast 1/8 to 1/4 ounce total weight.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:14 pm

I can cast 1/8oz on my original Lightning Rod 5'6" M with my Morrum SX1600C Hi-Speed. Any quality blank of a mod-fast action is capable with the right reel, IMO.
Andy