Destroyer USA Oneten special

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Destroyer USA Oneten special

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 am

Anyone here fished the rod? A lot of info on the Daemos, FMJ, and Javeline but haven't seen much about the Oneten Special. I'm actually not looking to toss jerkbaits on the rod. From handling the rod at the store it felt like it can be a good all around medium power rod. Tip has a nice soft action and enough backbone that maybe it can do bottom contact too. Seems like it can do 3/16 - 1/4 + plastic Texas rig. I'm also looking to use the rod for power shotting into light cover. Handling at the store can only tell you so much. Any info would be great, even if it's for Jerkbaits.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Destroyer USA Oneten special

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:27 am

Of course it is an excellent jerk bait and top water rod as you'd expect, I've enjoyed using it for both techniques. I've been using the Destroyer USA Oneten Special as a utility rod for pond and river fishing paired with a Steez SV TW in 6.3:1 with 7:1 gears installed because I like the look of the 6 ratio on this rod better :lol: It's capable of fishing light T-rigs, shakey heads, and even some heavier drop shot and neko rig stuff without a doubt. The handle is a little shorter than I generally prefer for bottom contact, but the rod has the sensitivity and power to fish light bottom contact.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Gary, I'm not really sure how the handle length is measured. On TW site they listed the handle length to be 13 3/4" and Daemos to be 15". For my Daemos from lock nut to butt it was 15 1/4". Need to get an idea so I can compare it to my X7 Cylcone Advantage for reference since it has a short handle.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 am

I measure handle length from butt to the beginning of the reel seat behind the trigger. Rods can have no fore grip or than can have a long fore grip, but to me, that's not what's important when measuring handle length and really confuses things. I measured the FMJ at 10 5/8" and the OneTen 9 1/4" as a point of reference. That is from the butt to the gold trim ring between the handle and the reel seat. Hope that helps some!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Bumping this thread. Has anyone had more time with the Oneten stick? Are there other potential uses for this rod? Could it handle shallow cranks, spinnerbaits, under spins, light single hook or treble swim baits, etc? Does it in fact have sensitivity for light bottom contact work? Is it as sensitive as othe '17 Destroyer models?

Finally, does this rod have any resemblance to the F4-611X7 Super Elseil in power, action, sensitivity, etc?

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm

i hope someone with more time with the rod than i have can answer your specific questions.

i have only thrown walking topwater on the rod and it has been great for that. great for making roll casts. its a 7 foot rod north of the reel seat. balances very well - i have a Metanium on it currently. the reel sits at about the same height as it does on the old GLX 783 mbr and 803 bcr if you have one to reference.

from my limited experience with the rod id say it will be good for making target casts with the moving baits on your list. i plan on trying spinnerbaits and squarebills on it this year.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm

bigfruits wrote:i hope someone with more time with the rod than i have can answer your specific questions.

i have only thrown walking topwater on the rod and it has been great for that. great for making roll casts. its a 7 foot rod north of the reel seat. balances very well - i have a Metanium on it currently. the reel sits at about the same height as it does on the old GLX 783 mbr and 803 bcr if you have one to reference.

from my limited experience with the rod id say it will be good for making target casts with the moving baits on your list. i plan on trying spinnerbaits and squarebills on it this year.

Thank you for the response

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 am

Tigerbass wrote:Bumping this thread. Has anyone had more time with the Oneten stick? Are there other potential uses for this rod? Could it handle shallow cranks, spinnerbaits, under spins, light single hook or treble swim baits, etc? Does it in fact have sensitivity for light bottom contact work? Is it as sensitive as othe '17 Destroyer models?

Finally, does this rod have any resemblance to the F4-611X7 Super Elseil in power, action, sensitivity, etc?
Yes, I've fished it a lot now. Yes, shallow cranks, "light" finesse oriented spinner baits would be fine, nothing large and with a lot of drag, under spins yes, light single hook swim baits like a 1/4 oz head and a small keitech yes, and yes, it has the sensitivity for light bottom contact work. It is on par with some other 17 models.

It feels very different in hand than the X7 Super Elseil. It has a noticeably faster action first off, but ultimately similar power. Sensitivity is excellent on both rods.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 am

Oh man... I might have to invest in one of these...