Dock skipping setup

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Dock skipping setup

Postby rockchalk06 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 pm

What's everyone's dock skipping setup? I'm asking at several forums to get a broad as variety as I can get. I'm looking to try and master this or just figure it out this year.

The reel I'm putting together is a Steez 100SH. Putting an SV103 spool and brass 8.1 gears in it. The rod is where I'm not so sure about.

Thanks in advance

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby ccass » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 pm

I use a Zillion SV TW 9.1 with a custom 7'6" St. Croix Legend Elite Medium Heavy Moderate Fast. It works pretty good. That is my jig rod. If I were to have a designated skip rod, I'd use a shorter rod, like 7ft-7'3".

The SV spool makes a difference. Just make sure you have a rod where the bait loads the tip up good so the rod can fling the lure, a flexible tip goes a long way.

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby rockchalk06 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm

ccass wrote:I use a Zillion SV TW 9.1 with a custom 7'6" St. Croix Legend Elite Medium Heavy Moderate Fast. It works pretty good. That is my jig rod. If I were to have a designated skip rod, I'd use a shorter rod, like 7ft-7'3".

The SV spool makes a difference. Just make sure you have a rod where the bait loads the tip up good so the rod can fling the lure, a flexible tip goes a long way.



Thank you sir.

User avatar
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Central Washington
Contact:

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby Teal101 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 am

I have two, with one currently in the testing/flux phase.

My main is
Megabass Diablo Stage 2 Slant Bridge (F5-1/2 - 68xti)
Daiwa TD-Z 103ML Personal Order Red with carbontex and 7:1 gear swap
ZPI Blue Emblem Spool with ZPI SiC bearings
50lb FX2

I use it for wacky worms and lots of dock skipping

Second Combo
Megabass Destroyer Rekkai Slant Bridge (F6-68x)
Megabass Orochi 10CHL with Carbontex
TD-Z 105 Spool with R+ Inductor with YT Fusion Bearings (May be changing to a ZPI 002)
20lb Red Label Fluorocarbon (May be going 15lb Sniper)

The 20lb was a bit unruly on that shallow 105 spool so I'm thinking of doing 15lb Sniper or Red Label. It isn't near as controlled as the ZPI BE so skipping is a bit more work, but it pulls lots of double duty doing shot range pitches.
I like TD-Z's

User avatar
jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby jwfflipper14 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 am

I am using a Steez A 7.1 and a Andy Montgomery skipping rod 7-1 hvy
love this set up! also using a Brent Ehler 7-3 rod and a Tatula 8.1
both good combos

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso

procraft210
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby procraft210 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm

I use a tatula elite 6'9 heavy Andy Montgomery and a Daiwa sv103. Also use a Fitzgerald Bryan thrift 6'9 heavy skipping rod with a tatula sv. I like both setups for skipping jigs from 1/4 to 1/2 oz

MULEY
Angler
Angler
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:44 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby MULEY » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 pm

DOBYNS 704 EX. and the zillion 7.1 twsv is my fav. 3/8 to 1/2 jigs . Makes skipping jigs so easy . For heavier cover and jigs 1/2 to 5/8 the 745 EX with a steez 100SHA and I'm a braid guy so 40sx1, 16-18lb leader on the 704 , 50fx2 ,18-22lb leader on the 745 . FG knot 8-10ft leaders.

jtgibso1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:33 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby jtgibso1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:55 am

I have my alphas sv 105 on a phase 3 bearing down and it's a jig skipping machine!

User avatar
LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby LowRange » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:44 pm

I'll use a number of rods to skip. I'm not sure if there is a desired taper and power for this technique. I'll be working on a dedicated dock skipper build over the winter using an IS73 and SS SV spool. All I can say is be aware of your range of motion on the casting deck. For me I prefer skipping rod to be no longer than 7' to clear the console on a roll cast but my front casting deck is kinda short. Javenlin Renegade 19.

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby rockchalk06 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm on the right track with the reel and my 843 MBR.

User avatar
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Blytheville, AR

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby Jason Penn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:08 pm

skipping is not something i really do, but i got on a kick 6-7 years ago to try and learn how. i was just using what i had at the time, which was an original fuego and a 7'mh tds. the 843 should work out just fine since it's got plenty of tip.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby ScoobyDoo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm

I always found skipping has more to do with the reel than the rod.

and adjusting to how far off the water you are.
I can skip knee deep with an 8 footer as well as i can on a boat deck.
Too short a rod and you may lose distance if you need longer skip (due to angle not line speed) But they still skip just as easy.

In terms of rod action.....I built rod out of inside corner molding, zip ties and electrical tape. ((buddy challenged me to to a home depot rod challenge)) And skipped plastics and minnow baits fine....The only issue was the reel was pretty fast (abu avail spool).


I don't think there is a reel that skips as easy as the sv spool in the steez tw. It almost removes the learning curve completely.

User avatar
LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby LowRange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:I always found skipping has more to do with the reel than the rod.

and adjusting to how far off the water you are.
I can skip knee deep with an 8 footer as well as i can on a boat deck.
Too short a rod and you may lose distance if you need longer skip (due to angle not line speed) But they still skip just as easy.

In terms of rod action.....I built rod out of inside corner molding, zip ties and electrical tape. ((buddy challenged me to to a home depot rod challenge)) And skipped plastics and minnow baits fine....The only issue was the reel was pretty fast (abu avail spool).


I don't think there is a reel that skips as easy as the sv spool in the steez tw. It almost removes the learning curve completely.


SS SV with the SS SV 103 spool is the most skip friendly spool out there. I've got a number of SV spool in reel and the SS SV is night and day a different animal. That spool is super controlled at low speed and very slow. It's as good as skipping gets but it's not much use for anything else.

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby toddmc » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am

My standard 1/2 oz. jig skipping setup is an SV103XS with 7'H and 16-20 lb. Sniper. I use this in clear to stained water when I have to stay a little way off from the docks.
I'll use a 6'9"MH if the decks of the docks are less than 6" from the water, there are lots of cables, or I just have to hit smaller targets in clear water.
I've got a Steez SV103XS with brass 8 to 1 gears also, and it makes a great finesse skipping setup with 8lb. Sniper, a 7'M rod, and smaller worms/tubes.
I step it up to a 7'3"H, the SV103XS, and 20lb. Shooter when I have dirtier water so that I can get closer to the fish and do overhand pitching/skipping with the rod tip up. I remember seeing a video from Teal a while ago when he was doing this to various cover in WA. Clearlake sets up well for this. The water there is dirty and most of the docks are more than 6" off of the water. It is crazy fun to be able to get close enough to jack giant fish right in front of the boat as they swim out from the dock. Florida strain bass tend to move out from the cover when they pick up your bait. Northern strain are less likely to do this. The newer style extra heavy/extra wide gap jig/worm hooks really allow you to put a lot of pressure on a fish. This style of fishing is like being grabbed out of the audience and thrown into a cage fight.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Postby ScoobyDoo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am

LowRange wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I always found skipping has more to do with the reel than the rod.

and adjusting to how far off the water you are.
I can skip knee deep with an 8 footer as well as i can on a boat deck.
Too short a rod and you may lose distance if you need longer skip (due to angle not line speed) But they still skip just as easy.

In terms of rod action.....I built rod out of inside corner molding, zip ties and electrical tape. ((buddy challenged me to to a home depot rod challenge)) And skipped plastics and minnow baits fine....The only issue was the reel was pretty fast (abu avail spool).


I don't think there is a reel that skips as easy as the sv spool in the steez tw. It almost removes the learning curve completely.


SS SV with the SS SV 103 spool is the most skip friendly spool out there. I've got a number of SV spool in reel and the SS SV is night and day a different animal. That spool is super controlled at low speed and very slow. It's as good as skipping gets but it's not much use for anything else.


Good to know. I don't have any time on that spool.
I can definately say that with the brakes set to 20. I can throw a bank sinker at a brick wall 10 feet out...and not have an issue
LOL


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests