Dock skipping setup

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2130
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:41 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I always found skipping has more to do with the reel than the rod.

and adjusting to how far off the water you are.
I can skip knee deep with an 8 footer as well as i can on a boat deck.
Too short a rod and you may lose distance if you need longer skip (due to angle not line speed) But they still skip just as easy.

In terms of rod action.....I built rod out of inside corner molding, zip ties and electrical tape. ((buddy challenged me to to a home depot rod challenge)) And skipped plastics and minnow baits fine....The only issue was the reel was pretty fast (abu avail spool).


I don't think there is a reel that skips as easy as the sv spool in the steez tw. It almost removes the learning curve completely.


SS SV with the SS SV 103 spool is the most skip friendly spool out there. I've got a number of SV spool in reel and the SS SV is night and day a different animal. That spool is super controlled at low speed and very slow. It's as good as skipping gets but it's not much use for anything else.
Good to know. I don't have any time on that spool.
I can definately say that with the brakes set to 20. I can throw a bank sinker at a brick wall 10 feet out...and not have an issue
LOL

Yeah the SV spools are game changers when it comes to skipping. It's amazing how well controlled they are at low speed. Where the SS SV spool seems to shine is with the more difficult baits to skip like light weight flick shakes and smaller senko type baits.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:23 pm

You need a controlled spool, SV is my favorite and the ZPI spools like the RC-002 also work well.

You need a rod that is not to stiff that will load up when you roll the rod to skip.

My setup is a Phase 3 Nautilus with a shortened handle and a Megabass IS 71 with a SV spool. Most people like a shorter rod and I generally like a shorter rod for skipping but for whatever reason the Nautilus loads just perfect for me and I can skip with it better than any other rod.

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:17 am

I ended up with a Daiwa Steez EX100 HS. Put CarbonTex drag, 8.1 brass gears, SV103 spool and have a CF handle on the way. 12# fluoro and stuck it on my GLX843 MBR.

I may try the G1 spool when they return to stock, but for now, I am impressed.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2130
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by LowRange » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Nicely done. You have a endless number of spools that fill fit that platform. The SS SV spool is the most controlled and skip friendly of the bunch but limited in other uses. You might want to look into the new ZPI spools too.

User avatar
cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by cortman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 am

Nicely done sir!
I love my Steez! People talk about them not handling heavier baits as well but frankly I've thrown 1 oz jigs + trailer with zero feeling of flex or anything. They're just really lightweight, solid and strong. As they should be for a flagship reel.

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 am

LowRange wrote:Nicely done. You have a endless number of spools that fill fit that platform. The SS SV spool is the most controlled and skip friendly of the bunch but limited in other uses. You might want to look into the new ZPI spools too.
Thank you. I'm looking to try the SS spool and the G1 spool too eventually.

First I need to figure this skipping out. I moved my breaking to 10 and CCC to stop the bait from falling. It was a complete disaster and thank God I put tape about 30 yards down on the spool or I'd have spent the entire trip picking out an overrun compared to 99% of it =D>

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 am

cortman wrote:Nicely done sir!
I love my Steez! People talk about them not handling heavier baits as well but frankly I've thrown 1 oz jigs + trailer with zero feeling of flex or anything. They're just really lightweight, solid and strong. As they should be for a flagship reel.
Thank you sir.

I agree. I jig and punch with magnesium Core's (brass gears though) and have no problems.

I will say that a longer handle is a must with the Steez. I think that's why I sold my 103SH, IS79 and LTD Steez a couple of years ago. The short handles gave me the feeling of using a damn toy.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2130
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:42 pm

You should be able to skip fairly easily with a loose ccc and max on the mag dial. I found that increasing spool tension reduced skipping distance and didn't make it any more easy to skip. It takes a little time and practice to get the muscle memory to make the roll casts pitch skips. Once you get it, it becomes natural.

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:03 pm

LowRange wrote:You should be able to skip fairly easily with a loose ccc and max on the mag dial. I found that increasing spool tension reduced skipping distance and didn't make it any more easy to skip. It takes a little time and practice to get the muscle memory to make the roll casts pitch skips. Once you get it, it becomes natural.

That's what I keep reading and watching. I need to spend some more time though. I'm not giving up just yet.

spencerinstl
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 am
Location: IL

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:13 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:
LowRange wrote:You should be able to skip fairly easily with a loose ccc and max on the mag dial. I found that increasing spool tension reduced skipping distance and didn't make it any more easy to skip. It takes a little time and practice to get the muscle memory to make the roll casts pitch skips. Once you get it, it becomes natural.

That's what I keep reading and watching. I need to spend some more time though. I'm not giving up just yet.
It takes lots of practice to get proficient at it. If I stop doing it for a while, I have to practice some more to get proficient at it again.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

User avatar
egore1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by egore1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

I've decided the SV105 spool for the Steez reel is my favorite skipping spool. I have it set up with 30# braid and it is ridiculously easy to skip baits without backlashing. It really is much easier to tame than my SV103 or any other spool I own in a variety of reels. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up :lol:

User avatar
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm
Location: Superior wisconsin

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 pm

F6-69 super destroyer, SV103H, 15lb trilene 100% flourocarbon

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:12 am

Re: Dock skipping setup

Post by robsone79 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I only get to skip docks once or twice a year when I run up to the ca delta. im using a phenix umbx-606h, t3 ballistic w/ sv spool, and 15-20lb sniper.

Post Reply