13 Fishing Muse Gold rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

13 Fishing Muse Gold rods

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Found a good deal (one day only) on 13 Fishing Muse Gold rods and picked up a 69m and a 72ml spinning rod...I know they are designed with the Walleye angler in mind but honestly, I figure they would/could double for smallmouth duty. Does anyone own these two rods in particular? The rest of the inventory basically almost sold out in the day so I nabbed both of these before they went just to try them. How do they compare to other rods/manufacturers and what do you use them for? Thanks!

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Muse Gold rods

Post by timsford » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:57 pm

i have been eyeballing these for awhile now. please give us a review when u get them

Tom13
Angler
Angler

Post by Tom13 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:31 pm

I'm a big fan of 13 gear (as the name implies)
I own quite a few Muse Gold, mainly the 72ML

They are an excellent rod and just a bit more softer tapered then say the OMEN or ENVY

They make a great smallie rod!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 am

That's good to hear! I am mostly Shimano and Daiwa (along with Loomis, Dobyns, etc.) but these caught my eye and after calling in and asking about them, the guy on the phone said he was going to order one for the price and that they were a very nice rod (and very aesthetically pleasing). What do you use your 72ml for? Any feedback on any other models in the line? How does the 1/8 - 3/8 rating match up? Does it handle baits in this range just fine or does it fish lighter/more powerful than the rating suggests? Thanks and best wishes on the water!

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 pm

I really like all the 13 rods I've used as well but I've only tried the omen and envy series. Both fish above their price points imho. Have u tried the ml muse gold with anything rigged weedless like a light t rig with thin wire hook or is it more suited for exposed hooks or baits with trebles. I fish a small river for bass, trout, and walleye and the 6'3" ml looks like the perfect rod for wading and dealing with trees on paper. I fish mostly small jerkbaits, nose hooked soft jerkbaits, and light drop shots with small plastics and exposed hooks. Occasionally I throw a 4" wacky rigged senko, Ned rig, or 1/16 oz Texas rig with a lightwire hook and small worm, and when I'm targeting trout I normally am using a 1/16oz pins minnow, small inline, or a pinched off nightcrawler with 1 or 2 small split shot. I've been carrying a ml powered st Croix in the same length but the ml is just a little too powerful for the lightest jerkbaits and plastics I use and it's too hard to try to carry 2 rods because I am wading most of the time.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:13 am

With apologies to the OP, I also fish Envy spin rods but not the Muse spin rods so I have nothing to add other than I too am interested in how the Muse Gold rods perform for smallie finesse fishing.

timsford, I am surprised the ML St Croix is too powerful for your soft plastics. I fish their 7'ML Legend Extreme and love this rod for all the baits you mentioned. If anything I wish they made something in between their ML and M in a 7 footer for smallies. That said, I think a perfect rod for what you want could be the G Loomis Bronzeback SMR751. I used to fish their 721 GLX and it was perfect for river smallies - I sold it since I moved to Michigan and usually fish for Great Lakes smallies. But I loved that rod and wish I hadn't sold it. Maybe someone can chime in on that rod.

PerchHater
Angler
Angler

Post by PerchHater » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 pm

I bought the 7'2" ML early this year and I absolutely love it! Its been great for ned rigs, flukes, wacky worming; and what I primarily use it for, drop shotting. I've also used it for skipping wacky worms around cleaner docks. The mod/fast action of the rod keeps bass pinned extremely well. It is a light, sensitive, and beautiful rod that is a ton of fun to fish with that doesn't break the bank.