G. Loomis GLX Casting Rod 7' Heavy 844C MBR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G. Loomis GLX Casting Rod 7' Heavy 844C MBR

Post by johnnybassboat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I am fishing Hollow bodied frogs in heavy pads and slop with a GLX 855. It is a beast and really hauls em out of the junk.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:27 pm

Cal wrote:
Mike son wrote:So I got rid of my IMX 844 and replaced it with the GLX 844 over the winter. Having limited use with the new GLX, only threw 3/8oz spinnerbaits, I'm not convinced that it has the same backbone as my old IMX 844(model previous to the IMX Pros). Anyone have thoughts on this? I wanted to use it for hollow body frogs and horny toads among other moving baits with braid. Maybe it's just the fact that it feels much lighter than the IMX.
Based on past experience, GLX has always felt softer and more forgiving than IMX when comparing the same models between the series. However, GLX has always lived up to the power rating despite the impression it was softer. I've not done any comparisons between the current IMX and GLX MBR models to know if the same holds true today.

GLX has always been more fishable for me because of that softer feel.

I would, in a heartbeat, use the MBR844C GLX for frogging and Carolina rigging... and throwing buzzbaits, jigs, paddletails, TX rigs, horny toads, walking baits like the Diamante, oversized square bills... it is the epitome of an all purpose heavy powered rod. The MBR lineup in general is underappreciated in today's technique specific world.
I echo the same sentiments about GLX being softer tipped throughout the old Loomis series, and more fishable for me, but that’s my taste in rods...the NRX was even softer tipped Power for Power but both are more powerful than they feel. That being said I’ve found the newly redesigned GLX rods to be a 1/2 if not more lighter powered than their predecessors. That goes for the jwr tapers too. In fact they feel slower actioned too in every power. In the past an 854 felt too stiff for me but the one feels like something I would use. And I would get that rod for the mentioned techs

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:50 pm

DavidSA wrote:10 years ago I had a deck full of 844's but in 2017 I think better options exist for both c-rigs and frogs. To your question, the old model could do both and I used it for both. I assume the new model with same ratings could do the same.
I did as well. Actually it was half 844's and half 843's. I felt I could really do it all and it kept things simple. As to the OP, yes, the 844 will work fine for your intended purposes.