Shimano Metanium MGL vs Chronarch MGL

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Metanium MGL vs Chronarch MGL

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 am

Is it just me or does anyone else who has both feel like the Chronarch is actually smoother than the Metanium?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Metanium MGL vs Chronarch MGL

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 am

Rodster14 wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else who has both feel like the Chronarch is actually smoother than the Metanium?

Yes and no.

I had two Met MGL's. Both XG's and both came from the Trap. One was smooth, quiet and a joy to fish. The other was geary, and didn't feel very well at all. Replacing both the pinion and main gear did help some, but still geary feeling. I sold both and replaced them with 100 D series reels.

My CH MGL was much much smoother. No noise either on the retrieve. My only problem was the cast. Too much noise for me. Sold it and bought another 100 D series.

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano Metanium MGL vs Chronarch MGL

Post by fishermun » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:01 pm

I have several Met mgl's, only have had one Chronarch mgl. Can't say I felt it was any smoother than the Met. I always take new reels apart and clean/relube, but I didn't with the Chronarch. So that may play a role as well.