Anyone know of a rod "carrier"? For easy transport of 3 rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone know of a rod "carrier"? For easy transport of 3 rods

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Looking for a rod carrier that I can use for 3 rods to take in and out of the house, into the car, and in and out of my kayak.

It's primarily for when I'm traveling to my fishing location. I'm a little OCD with my stuff, especially my expensive combos. I haven't been able to figure out a way yet to have 3 rods in my car to where they aren't moving around and slamming in to each other as I drive.

I've seen some shorebound anglers with a small rack that carries a few rods and I figured something like this would be perfect for my scenario. I'm not looking for a roof rack or anything like that, just something that will keep my 3 combos together without banging into each other as I drive.

Anyone know of anything like this?

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone know of a rod "carrier"? For easy transport of 3 rods

Post by bigfruits » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:21 pm

i cant recommend a specific brand that sounds like a good solution.

i lay the back seat down and wrap a towel or a sweatshirt around the middle of the rods. i usually have plenty of stuff in the trunk to keep the bottom of the rods from moving around but an old towel should work here too. if you put something on the back seat to prop up the backrest, you can get a good angle to lay the rods on.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 pm

I have some called "Ready Rigs". I think that is the name, holds three rods, is adjustable for length, and has fleece padding in the reel area. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to find them anymore. Don't know if they are out of business or what. Good luck, I would be very interested if you find something.

staten island angler
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by staten island angler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:09 am

I'm with a company called Cal Coast Fishing, they make a product called the Rod Mule, holds to 10 rods safety. Easy to transport your Rods from the house to the car to the boat. Calcoastfishing.com is the website you can purchase it. I can save you 15% by using my code: ray15, check them out.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 am

Here's what I do...

Place each rod into a Stik Jacket (or other brand of the same type) cover. Stik Jackets are the best. You can also cover the B/C reels with TW reel covers.

Then wrap the rods together in two places: near the top and bottom of the rod jacket. I use a wrap that I buy in a garden or local hardware store. Will provide the name later.

If you have lures on them, wrap each lure with a lure wrap, especially the lures with trebles.

It works great for me. No tangles. Very little rod moving around. And the rods and reels are protected from damage. You can tote seven or eight rods this way.

For convenience, I also color code the Stik Jackets: red, white, and blue for the crankbait rod; green for topwater; and red for a worm rod; blue for then jig rod; etc.

Hope this helps

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 am

I posted my previous message promising to provide info on wrapping rods together...

The loaf-of-bread ties are too short and too wiry.

The best wrapping tie is a "RapiClip Soft Wire Tie" distributed by Luster Leaf Products of Woodstock, IL.

The RapiClip ties are sold for wrapping plants together, or wrapping a plant to a stake.

There are several diameters, but I prefer the No. 859, which is 3/16 in diameter. There is also a Heavy Duty version that with a larger diameter.

There is a thin stiff wire inside the rubbery outside cover, and it can be easily cut with a pair of household scissors.

It comes in 16-foot lengths and you can easily cut off as much as you need.

I bought mine at the local True Value Hardware store, and it costs around $3.

Now time to get on with my life.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 am

I always protect my rods with rod socks, and reels with reel covers for some added protection. After that I use Stick Jacket Rod Butler that you can purchase on TW, they come in a 2 pack. I use one of them to secure the top 1/4 of the rod, and second at the rod handle below the reel seats. Never had issues with them coming loose and banging into each other. I usually bring 2 casting set ups, and 1 spinning, or 2 spinning set ups, and 1 casting set up with no issues.

If you like to transport rods already rigged with treble hooks, use a lure wrap so it doesn't get hooked into any of the rod socks.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

There a a ton of pictures out there with variations on this theme.

I keep meaning to try and rig something up in my car but never get around to it. I also use rod socks, reel covers, and a few old towels to pad mine for transport. I have also repeated "Watch the tips!" over and over to anyone who is ever in my car on a regular basis. My friends make fun of me, but I have got them trained to check before they get in or put stuff in the back. :big grin: