WHICH to PICK: Shimano Metanium DC / Metanium MGL / ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Northern_Pike
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

WHICH to PICK: Shimano Metanium DC / Metanium MGL / ?

Post by Northern_Pike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am

I ask for your pro advice on which reel to pick.
I have been thinking to purchase a new reel and between Shimano Metanium DC and Metanium MGL.

I would like to have a downsized version of Calais DC 200, which I have been using very successfully for 10 years now. It's in perfect shape after pretty heavy use, and I
will continue using it anyhow I would appreciate a smaller and lighter reel so Metanium DC / MGL 150 could be a wonderful choice. I would like to have this optimized for around 60g (2 Oz) lures. Braided line 0.20-0.25mm (0.010"). What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance :) 8-)

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: WHICH to PICK: Shimano Metanium DC / Metanium MGL / ?

Post by fffishing » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Met MGL it's good Calais200 "replacement" for the smallest rigs...But I'm using MGL for up to one ounce,maybe nothing will happen with reel in 2oz+ :mrgreen: ...Just the balance for heavier rig - heavier rods is not really comfortable..For me,of course 8-)

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 am

I have several Chronarch MGL's and had one Metanium XG. I actually prefer the Chronarch's.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 am

I've got the 13met and the Met DC though I have never used either for 2oz weights. That's way out of my comfort zone when it comes to anything but punching.

Both reels will cast about the same and are great to use. I would lean towards the MGL because I don't care for (or really notice anymore) the whirl sound of the DC.

The only advice I can give you is remember that it is not the same DC system that is found in your Calais. the IDC5 brake system is super easy to figure out though.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 am

2oz id look at antares or conquest

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

the DC is considerably heavier in hand than the MGL but is a fun reel to fish with.

the JDM MGL for $100 less than the DC would be my choice. havent fished 2oz lures on either though...