NRX for Skipping wacky worms - HELP NEEDED

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

NRX for Skipping wacky worms - HELP NEEDED

Post by Chicagoed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 pm

I was on the water past couple weekends trying to skip a wacky worm under docks. I was using my 852s and was struggling with my casts. Two questions, I want to transition to a casting rod for skipping weightless worms and also need to find an NRX that is shorter with a soft tip. The 852s is amazing, love the rod, but I noticed that at 7'1" I kept hitting the water with my rod tip. Also noticed that the rod wouldn't load as well as I liked which forced me to make a stronger cast that wasnt very accurate. Any suggestions on a good NRX model for skipping under docks? I was thinking maybe an 802c or 803c. This will be paired with a Daiwa PXL-R with 10lb powerpro and a 6 ft 8lb fluoro leader. Any suggestions are very welcome.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX for Skipping wacky worms - HELP NEEDED

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:14 pm

It is easier to skip with a spinning rod then a baitcaster. Try a 6'8" spinning rod like a St Croix Legend Tournament Bass Wacky Style 6'8" M XF rod if a 7'1" rod is too long for you. It is easier to skip with a shaky head jig along with the worm. It also easier to skip with braid on a spinning reel, it comes of the spool faster. The 852S is a little stout for skipping wacky worms with no weight. Gloomis wise spinning a spin jig rod is going to have a softer tip than the jig and worm.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 pm

spencerinstl wrote:It is easier to skip with a spinning rod then a baitcaster. Try a 6'8" spinning rod like a St Croix Legend Tournament Bass Wacky Style 6'8" M XF rod if a 7'1" rod is too long for you. It is easier to skip with a shaky head jig along with the worm. It also easier to skip with braid, it comes of the spool faster. The 852S is a little stout for skipping wacky worms with no weight.
Thanks, very helpful. If at all possible I would like to stay within the NRX lineup. I'd also like to stay with a casting rod as my end goal is to learn how to underhand skip but for now I'm starting off with a side arm overhand skip cast. I think you're right about a 6-6 to 6-8 rod length...unfortunately I don't think there is a NRX model with those specs that has a soft enough tip for skipping a weightless worm. I was hoping there were some NRX experts here that might have suggestions. If I can't stay within the NRX lineup maybe GLX? Otherwise I would consider another rod company with similar sensitivity. I'm not a big st croix but I appreciate the suggestion. The search continues...

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:It is easier to skip with a spinning rod then a baitcaster. Try a 6'8" spinning rod like a St Croix Legend Tournament Bass Wacky Style 6'8" M XF rod if a 7'1" rod is too long for you. It is easier to skip with a shaky head jig along with the worm. It also easier to skip with braid, it comes of the spool faster. The 852S is a little stout for skipping wacky worms with no weight.
Thanks, very helpful. If at all possible I would like to stay within the NRX lineup. I'd also like to stay with a casting rod as my end goal is to learn how to underhand skip but for now I'm starting off with a side arm overhand skip cast. I think you're right about a 6-6 to 6-8 rod length...unfortunately I don't think there is a NRX model with those specs that has a soft enough tip for skipping a weightless worm. I was hoping there were some NRX experts here that might have suggestions. If I can't stay within the NRX lineup maybe GLX? Otherwise I would consider another rod company with similar sensitivity. I'm not a big st croix but I appreciate the suggestion. The search continues...
How about a Conquest CNQ 782C MBR? Its going to be hard to start out learning to skip with a bait caster with such a light weight.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 pm

My personal opinion, for weightless wacky worms, you're better off with a spinning rod. Of the three NRX spin rods I own, my first choice would be the 852s. Since you already have and want to try a shorter rod, consider the 822SYR. The 822SYR is a sleeper of a rod in my opinion. It's got the lively tip that you want with a lot of backbone. It's actually the favorite of the three I own.

For casting rod options, I'd most certainly lean towards a fast action MBR in the NRX lineup as a skipping rod. I feel the MBR rod loads up well to deliver the cast needed opposed to the faster action JWR series.

I actually bypass all my NRX rods and choose a Jackall Poison Adrena as my jig skipping rod of choice when I fish docks at Clear Lake. It's the PA170HSB model, 7' hvy designed for swimbaits but I find it awesome for dock skipping. So much I bought two.

Good luck in your search.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I looked at that one. I'm going to need to do more research on it. Never handled the conquest lineup but I suspect that while the length is right the tip will be to stiff for what I need. Hopefully some Conquest users can chime in...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am

Depending on the size of the worm, amount of cover, etc. the MBR 842 and MBR 843 in the NRX line have been excellent dock skipping rods for me. I have used the 842 for lighter presentations, and the 843 for a 5" Senko with great success. They both have the right taper and a good length for these applications. I like the SV105HSL on the 842, and the Zillion SVTW did a great job on the 843. Both have been discontinued, though I know there were 843's on blow out recently in a few places, and The Tackle Trap has one NRX 842c MBR "demo" left in stock...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:34 am

capt1fish wrote:My personal opinion, for weightless wacky worms, you're better off with a spinning rod. Of the three NRX spin rods I own, my first choice would be the 852s. Since you already have and want to try a shorter rod, consider the 822SYR. The 822SYR is a sleeper of a rod in my opinion. It's got the lively tip that you want with a lot of backbone. It's actually the favorite of the three I own.

For casting rod options, I'd most certainly lean towards a fast action MBR in the NRX lineup as a skipping rod. I feel the MBR rod loads up well to deliver the cast needed opposed to the faster action JWR series.

I actually bypass all my NRX rods and choose a Jackall Poison Adrena as my jig skipping rod of choice when I fish docks at Clear Lake. It's the PA170HSB model, 7' hvy designed for swimbaits but I find it awesome for dock skipping. So much I bought two.

Good luck in your search.
So lots of good suggestions there...the 852s was a contender, but it is only available in spinning. I wish they had a casting version. The MBR is an interesting idea...but again with the 7ft length I think I'll struggle with that rod length. I tend to hit the water a lot with the 7-1 852s. I think a 6-6 to 6-8 would be optimal.

That Adrena rod, are you also skipping weightless worms with that? It's not to stiff of a rod? With a heavy action it would need a seriously soft tip to make it work for me. Thoughts?

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 am

bronzefly wrote:Depending on the size of the worm, amount of cover, etc. the MBR 842 and MBR 843 in the NRX line have been excellent dock skipping rods for me. I have used the 842 for lighter presentations, and the 843 for a 5" Senko with great success. They both have the right taper and a good length for these applications. I like the SV105HSL on the 842, and the Zillion SVTW did a great job on the 843. Both have been discontinued, though I know there were 843's on blow out recently in a few places, and The Tackle Trap has one NRX 842c MBR "demo" left in stock...
I'm a big fan of MBR but the 7ft rod length doesn't work for me. I am typically fishing as a tournament coangler so between small rear decks, power poles, awkward angles, etc, a long rod doesn't work for me. I've tried. I really wanted my 852s to be the one, but between the stiff tip and length it just doesn't work for me.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Chicagoed wrote:
bronzefly wrote:Depending on the size of the worm, amount of cover, etc. the MBR 842 and MBR 843 in the NRX line have been excellent dock skipping rods for me. I have used the 842 for lighter presentations, and the 843 for a 5" Senko with great success. They both have the right taper and a good length for these applications. I like the SV105HSL on the 842, and the Zillion SVTW did a great job on the 843. Both have been discontinued, though I know there were 843's on blow out recently in a few places, and The Tackle Trap has one NRX 842c MBR "demo" left in stock...
I'm a big fan of MBR but the 7ft rod length doesn't work for me. I am typically fishing as a tournament coangler so between small rear decks, power poles, awkward angles, etc, a long rod doesn't work for me. I've tried. I really wanted my 852s to be the one, but between the stiff tip and length it just doesn't work for me.
Welcome to the new GLX series then, both the 782 and 783 exhibit similar characteristics and excel at the technique. None of the extra fast tapered rods in the JWR series of any flavor lend themselves well to dock skipping in my experience. You need MBR rods if you're going Loomis, bar none. I'd be happy to get you set up with a fantastic deal on the Loomis rods of your choice should you choose to go that route, and the new GLX series are a significant improvement over the previous generation. PM anytime.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:48 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
Welcome to the new GLX series then, both the 782 and 783 exhibit similar characteristics and excel at the technique. None of the extra fast tapered rods in the JWR series of any flavor lend themselves well to dock skipping in my experience. You need MBR rods if you're going Loomis, bar none. I'd be happy to get you set up with a fantastic deal on the Loomis rods of your choice should you choose to go that route, and the new GLX series are a significant improvement over the previous generation. PM anytime.
Bronzefly, I think I need to speak with you directly! My pocket book will not enjoy this...but my heart will! How can I contact you? PM info?

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:57 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Chicagoed wrote:
Did you mean the new Conquest MBR 782/783? Or does the GLX line offer a MBR 782/83 that I am not familiar with?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:09 am

Chicagoed wrote:
Did you mean the new Conquest MBR 782/783? Or does the GLX line offer a MBR 782/83 that I am not familiar with?
Those would be great too indeed! I'm referring to the 2016 GLX line, they do offer them.

2016 G Loomis GLX Mag Bass Rods

Feel free to email me directly anytime at thetackletrap @ gmail.com
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 pm

[/quote] So lots of good suggestions there...the 852s was a contender, but it is only available in spinning. I wish they had a casting version. [/quote]

The NRX line does have an 852C JWR which is an option but I would lean toward the 6'8" NRX rods if you truly need a shorter rod length. I'm not certain how powerful the new MBR 782 is but I wouldn't have attempted fishing docks with the original GLX version. It just seemed really low on power, my MBR 842 has a bunch more oomph than the 782. Maybe a 783 would do the trick?
I personally like to fish wacky senkos on spinning rods, specifically the 852S you mentioned or a St. Croix 68MXF rod.
When I skip docks with bait cast gear I use a Steez with SV105 spool and that spool makes it near impossible to mess up, that is a whole different topic though.