Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Post by Jrob » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 am

cndbasshunter wrote:I got the 843S, it's got some balls. Should fit perfectly above my nrx 852s and 872s.
I would love to hear more about the 843s sjr and how you like fishing it. Im thinks of pulling the trigger as a general "all around " bass spinning rod.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Well I’d really like to pull the trigger on a Conquest 6’6” mh but I really do think they could have made a few improvements to perfect this flagship model. I have owned and used extensively a NRX 803c JWR as my rubber swimbait rod for 4 Years or so and enjoy it, the only problem I have had is the reel seat broke twice in the early stages due to the hard and fast hits from large Barramundi, I could imagine similar torque when you guys and gals are horsing big bass to the boat. The first time I had it replaced under warranty the next time, because I loooved using that rod so much, I had my local rod builder cut it off and replace it with a Fuji ACS seat and a good sized foregrip, problem solved. The Conquest, having a similar reel seat has me worried.
I also reckon the the Conquest could have benefited from recoil guides (I know there are plenty of knockers out there but I like ‘em), perhaps spiral wrapped and carbon grips. What do you guys think? I really like the cross wrapping to prevent twisting though and have a few rods that have this feature. At this stage the Edge Rods ISR 666 or BCR 705 is my next rod purchase.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 am

I have owned an a NRX (and had it break and replaced). These rods are dramatically stronger. With the Spiral X technology, you will have to work hard to break the Conquest. As for the recoil guides, I don’t miss them. They were noisy and it was somewhat difficult to pass a knot through them. I did find the NRX reel set a bit uncomfortable. The new one is better.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 am

DaisyZillion wrote:Well I’d really like to pull the trigger on a Conquest 6’6” mh but I really do think they could have made a few improvements to perfect this flagship model. I have owned and used extensively a NRX 803c JWR as my rubber swimbait rod for 4 Years or so and enjoy it, the only problem I have had is the reel seat broke twice in the early stages due to the hard and fast hits from large Barramundi, I could imagine similar torque when you guys and gals are horsing big bass to the boat. The first time I had it replaced under warranty the next time, because I loooved using that rod so much, I had my local rod builder cut it off and replace it with a Fuji ACS seat and a good sized foregrip, problem solved. The Conquest, having a similar reel seat has me worried.
I also reckon the the Conquest could have benefited from recoil guides (I know there are plenty of knockers out there but I like ‘em), perhaps spiral wrapped and carbon grips. What do you guys think? I really like the cross wrapping to prevent twisting though and have a few rods that have this feature. At this stage the Edge Rods ISR 666 or BCR 705 is my next rod purchase.
I think you might be alone in wishing these had acs reel seats & spiral wrapped recoil guides :lol:

I think the component choices are damn near perfect(though I haven't held one yet so I can't speak on the reel seat, but if it's like glx/nrx I'm a fan. And I'd think they ironed out any possible kinks from previous versions).

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 am

I know my choices are a bit out there, the reel seat issue is purely based on those first 2 failures, with the conquest seat looking very similar it makes me nervous, would probably go with a PTS seat instead next time ;) , I have been using n Edge Black Widow ISR 666 for a year or so and oh man, is it crisp and sensitive. Watching a video where Gary Loomis himself explains how weight is the only impediment to a high quality blank and talking through his choice of REC microguides (they don’t get any lighter) and spiral wrapping to allow spin guide spacing on a casting rod reducing guide count by 2 or 3. That philosophy can really be felt in the use of the black widow rod, the carbon grip is surprisingly comfortable (another reason for the REC guide train to avoid tip heaviness) and transmits every knock, bump and swimpast almost as well as hand on blank. What the Edge rod is lacking though is the cross weaving to reduce twist torsion, I have a zodias where the benefits of this are noticeable during cast and fight.
Of course these are only my experiences and are what I believe a rod at this price point should have but it’s a little too non traditional and others may not be as happy with the result.

Johnbt
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnbt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:01 pm

"the only problem I have had is the reel seat broke twice in the early stages due to the hard and fast hits from large Barramundi, I could imagine similar torque when you guys and gals are horsing big bass to the boat."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barramundi

I'd gladly break a reel seat or two if I could hook into a largemouth bass that weighed over 100 pounds and stretched over 5 feet.

I love my new 783C so far. Great handling rod.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Johnbt wrote:
I have a GLX 783c and while I do like it, handling the Conquest version has made me thing about selling it at a loss and buying the Conquest version. Mostly due to the shorter handle, but also because the Conquest felt....it sounds dumb to type it, but it felt "alive". Like with a reel mounted it felt far more like an extension of my arm then any combo I have felt to date. I don't feel that is is like $200 better then the GLX, but the handle difference is tempting.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Johnbt wrote:
I have a GLX 783c and while I do like it, handling the Conquest version has made me thing about selling it at a loss and buying the Conquest version. Mostly due to the shorter handle, but also because the Conquest felt....it sounds dumb to type it, but it felt "alive". Like with a reel mounted it felt far more like an extension of my arm then any combo I have felt to date. I don't feel that is is like $200 better then the GLX, but the handle difference is tempting.
TW lists the handle difference as only being 1/2". Is the difference greater than that in hand/real world?

I gotta stop looking at these Conquests or I might mess around and end up with one :lol:

What's the word on Dealer rep Conquests rods? You guys hear anything from any little birdies?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:39 pm

spookybaits wrote:
What's the word on Dealer rep Conquests rods? You guys hear anything from any little birdies?
Not many yet, but it's always good to get in touch with the shop just in case...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Johnbt wrote:I love my new 783C so far. Great handling rod.
Would you consider the 783c (albeit shorter) to be a fit in between a Conquest 843c and 842c? It didn’t feel as stiff as the 843c when I felt it at the last fishing show I attended, yet not as whippy as the 842c. Was curious as to your opinion since you have fished one.
Toronto, Ont.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:22 am

Johnbt wrote:"the only problem I have had is the reel seat broke twice in the early stages due to the hard and fast hits from large Barramundi, I could imagine similar torque when you guys and gals are horsing big bass to the boat."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barramundi

I'd gladly break a reel seat or two if I could hook into a largemouth bass that weighed over 100 pounds and stretched over 5 feet.

Well when you put it that way I may have been asking a little much of it, the Barra I generally get are 70cm to just sub metre :? Maybe running to 20lbs.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 am

spookybaits wrote: TW lists the handle difference as only being 1/2". Is the difference greater than that in hand/real world?
Huh, I didn't hold them side by side but the handle flet a good bit shorter, I would have guessed closer to 1.5". I have got a big hangup about long handles though, so it is likely that I just focused on that.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Finally got my first conquest...

I have this exact same pairing! The Shimano Stella FI feels great on this rod.
I put Vicious No Fade 20 on mine.
I am already thinking of a second conquest, just not sure witch one. Either a 903c or a 902S
I have a glx bsr822s and a couple of GLX MBR 843c's in my collection . So the choice is a hard one. :?: ](*,)

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 am

2nd combo

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 am

cndbasshunter wrote:2nd combo