Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 pm
Location: SK, Canada

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby Farnorth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

bronzefly wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Rfdong wrote:Anyone with significant time with the 905C yet? How does it balance especially compare to the 895c nrx which was worst in the line up. Thanks


It's not nearly as tip heavy as the NRX 895, but yes, it's still tip heavy to some degree.



Gary I think I need a 744 need a ultimate jig rod


844 I'm guessing? Yes indeed, it's a great jig rod within it's best range, and highly versatile otherwise. Of course, the details matter, and when you get to the level of Conquest rods, most guys want to be pretty damn detailed :lol: I'm working on fishing and playing around with as many of them as possible to have the knowledge to make accurate recommendations as I always do. It's just really hard to get the 902s paired with the new Stella C3000XG FJ out of my hands right now, but it's warming up... 903, 904, and 905 are getting a lot more love. The 905 with umbrella rigs is awesome, handles the 10XD with ease, and more than sensitive enough for bottom contact with POWER. The 904 handles an 8XD and a 1/2 oz jig - incredible, versatile, sensitive, light. The 903, a Senko, a spinner bait, a lipless crank, vibrating jig, swim jig, and on and on and on. Somebody who wanted to build the most ultimate, ultimately versatile combo with 6 rods and reels or less, could get it done with the new Conquest line and either Shimano or Daiwa reels.


So is that a vote in favour of the 902S? Any impressions you would be willing to share? I am most interested in casting distance, balance with your Stella and sensitivity when dragging jigs or best uses. Thanks Gary!

User avatar
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Part 2 of the Conquest review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4elaa99 ... PO&index=6

Casting a variety of lures with the Conquest.

Hopefully helps you guys make a purchase
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby bassm1n » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Be nice if the video said which model rod is used

User avatar
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 pm

bassm1n wrote:Be nice if the video said which model rod is used


843c. It's in the description as well
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby bronzefly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 am

Farnorth wrote:So is that a vote in favour of the 902S? Any impressions you would be willing to share? I am most interested in casting distance, balance with your Stella and sensitivity when dragging jigs or best uses. Thanks Gary!


YES! The 902s Conquest has quickly jumped into my "favorite" spinning rod group. I've been fishing 1/4 oz hair jigs, 1/4 oz Football Shakey Heads with plastics, and throwing a variety of treble hook moving baits on it more than anything else and it's just awesome. Great loading characteristics, fantastic casting distance, excellent versatility, comfortable ergonomics, and impressive sensitivity in my hands. With the Stella FI and FJ the balance is good, not perfect, but good. I have a lot more time to put in with it, but so far, it's a winner.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Farnorth wrote:So is that a vote in favour of the 902S? Any impressions you would be willing to share? I am most interested in casting distance, balance with your Stella and sensitivity when dragging jigs or best uses. Thanks Gary!


YES! The 902s Conquest has quickly jumped into my "favorite" spinning rod group. I've been fishing 1/4 oz hair jigs, 1/4 oz Football Shakey Heads with plastics, and throwing a variety of treble hook moving baits on it more than anything else and it's just awesome. Great loading characteristics, fantastic casting distance, excellent versatility, comfortable ergonomics, and impressive sensitivity in my hands. With the Stella FI and FJ the balance is good, not perfect, but good. I have a lot more time to put in with it, but so far, it's a winner.


Is it tip heavy with the Stella?

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby bronzefly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Farnorth wrote:So is that a vote in favour of the 902S? Any impressions you would be willing to share? I am most interested in casting distance, balance with your Stella and sensitivity when dragging jigs or best uses. Thanks Gary!


YES! The 902s Conquest has quickly jumped into my "favorite" spinning rod group. I've been fishing 1/4 oz hair jigs, 1/4 oz Football Shakey Heads with plastics, and throwing a variety of treble hook moving baits on it more than anything else and it's just awesome. Great loading characteristics, fantastic casting distance, excellent versatility, comfortable ergonomics, and impressive sensitivity in my hands. With the Stella FI and FJ the balance is good, not perfect, but good. I have a lot more time to put in with it, but so far, it's a winner.


Is it tip heavy with the Stella?


What is the definition of tip heavy in your hands? Which Stella?
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

bronzefly wrote:
What is the definition of tip heavy in your hands? Which Stella?


Basically with the reel mounted on the rod, the rod feels when held like the tip is weighed down "tip heavy"

Stella FJ, I'm wondering about the balance point.

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby bronzefly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:24 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
What is the definition of tip heavy in your hands? Which Stella?


Basically with the reel mounted on the rod, the rod feels when held like the tip is weighed down "tip heavy"

Stella FJ, I'm wondering about the balance point.


There's a lot of debate over what feeling tip heavy is it seems. Some guys don't even notice something that feels very tip heavy to me, others complain that something is tip heavy that I think feels pretty well balanced :lol: It's not perfectly neutrally balanced at the stem of the reel, but it's not overly tip heavy in my hands either. I enjoy how the combo feels and fishes!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby Brad in Texas » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:15 am

bronzefly makes a good point about balance, what "tip heavy" means.

All that I would add here is whether a perfect balance in the stem location, or thereabouts, is really optimal.

For almost all fishing presentations, we are either working with a taut or semi-taut line; so, when we are just more or less neutral (line out), there is added pressure coming from the tip.

It would seem to me if optimizing balance is our goal, we'd want to do so in the position where we spend most of our time: line in the water with some degree of tension on it. "Tip light" would be defined, here, as a rod that lifts up slightly at the tip when held at "your" balance point, where you hold the rod. This way, through no action of your own, the tendency would be for the rod to pull ever so slightly on the line.

You'd be letting the rod balance do the work, not your wrist.

Probably, the best way to determine this would be to check balance with a lure (of the dominant size you will be using, or a bit lighter) reeled up close to the rod tip.

Brad

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:34 am

bronzefly wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
There's a lot of debate over what feeling tip heavy is it seems. Some guys don't even notice something that feels very tip heavy to me, others complain that something is tip heavy that I think feels pretty well balanced :lol: It's not perfectly neutrally balanced at the stem of the reel, but it's not overly tip heavy in my hands either. I enjoy how the combo feels and fishes!

'
Thanks.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Lake Guntersville

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby BigG » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 am

I was at TTT Friday and handled the 902S and it's very high for a 7' 6" rod. It didn't seem that tip heavy without a reel. Reminds me of the balancing point on the NRX 893 without the reel. Yes the 893C was a little tip heavy based on the balance point, but it's so light it's hardy noticeable.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 8:09 am

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby Hulkster » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:50 pm

I was at a tackle show and handled the SJR843S Conquest rod. I couldn't believe how light and stiff it was. It felt amazing. it was $875 Canadian. holy crap lol

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:34 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby Bubbleboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:35 pm

I too was at the Toronto Fishing show and got to see the Conquest lineup. I was expecting the tip of the Conquest 843c to be softer than the NRX 843c given the feedback from people in this thread, however I found them to be quite similar. Turns out, the Conquest 783c was more what I was looking for as it was more fast than the 843c.

Another rod that surprised me was the Conquest 782s. It might end up replacing my NRX 822s SYR. It didn’t seem to have the post cast revibiration that the SYR has.

This could be an expensive spring :shock:
Toronto, Ont.
www.yakfisher.net

NHBull
Angler
Angler
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Postby NHBull » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 am

I think I have read through this thread 1/2 a dozen times......

I am struggling with a light plastics rod and told to look at the NRX 852, but when I explained I am a braid to leader guy, the CNN 842 entered the picture. The only negative that is mentioned on the forums is the softer tip of the 842, the the 843 gets recommended, which wouldn't throw weightless senkos as well.

The one constant knock on the CNQ 842 is weather the tip is strong enough for bottom contact worm and jigs, which has me considering the NRX 852. Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.....

Guess I keep reading......I put is greatly appreciated. Al
Son of "Tun"


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 12 guests