Best rods under $50?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best rods under $50?

Post by tywithay » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Academy has the Lew's American Hero rods on sale for $49. They're pretty sweet rods for the money. The field and stream elite tec rods are really good for the money too, they're exclusive from Dicks. Dicks has a deal online that you get $20 off if you spend $100, so you can get a nice discount if you buy a couple. I would 100% stay away from the lightning rods. The new generation SUCKS. I have a couple older ones for when I'm wading the river and they're great, but the new one has an awful composite cork foregrip that will fall apart. I've actually seen them in store with chunks already missing. Can't even imagine if they were being used.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:12 pm

I'd look on ffo-tackle.com, tacklewarehouse's sale items, wal mart clearance racks, and locally on Facebook and Craigslist to see what I could find deals on. Fri usually has some great deals. I haven't looked in a few days but they usually have Abu veritas and Fenwick ing and hmx for right around 50 bucks. Any of those would be a much better rod than a rod for under 50 bucks retail. If u can wait a little while tacklewarehouse has some good rods cheap sometimes. I bought 2 Powell diesel rods on clearance for 54 bucks each and then a month or two later I got 2 of the w&m skeet Reese yellow crankbait rods for the same price. The longer crank rod was just too tip heavy for me but the other 3 worked great for what I had in mind. If you are willing to shop used then I'd look on local buy sell and trade pages on Facebook and also on local craigslist. Sometimes you can find great deals on pawn shops and yard sales also if you look around. Bbcboards.net is a great forum for picking up used stuff but a rod is expensive to shop so it will be hard to find anything on there under 50 bucks unless it happens to be a member within driving distance. Good luck with your search. I know this is for people not experienced but if u can find a good deal on a nicer more sensitive rod then why not go for it. If you can't find anything in one of these places then the og lightning rod, lightning rod shock, or ugly stick would be my pick. If it's an all around rod for mostly bass I'd go with the lightning rod if they will be using mostly single hook baits or the shock of using mostly moving baits or if you use braid. Of its for live bait or cut bait for multiple species or if you need a rod for people hard on equipment then the ugly stick is the toughest to break in my experience and even though it's not as sensitive as others because of the fiberglass, it also makes a good cranking rod with mono or fluoro and a good moving bait rod in general with braid to help with the sensitivity and to have enough power to set thicker single hooks

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:24 am

i have no experience with their spinning rods, but the one 3 defy black rods are brand new @ $60. i have the 7'9 crank rod, and am impressed. for the spinning, i don't really think i would like the seat on it though.