Phenix Feather

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix Feather

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:02 am

You really can't go wrong with a Phenix..... At all price points. Maxim to K2, they just pump out great blanks.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Looks like Luke Clausen left Megabass and is using Phenix Feather series rods this season.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Any updates on this series? Looking at the 7'1" H. 1/4-2oz lure rating seems nice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 pm

I have quite a few of the feather series rods and like other lineups they are generally rated higher than what they should be. I would say the feathers are about 1/2 a power down from what they claim, so I’d say it’s more like a MH+ or H-. The 7’1” H I use for swim jigs in heavy cover like reeds, frogs in sparse pads and slop, as well as skipping 3/8oz jigs and throwing 3/8oz t-rigs. Versatile rod in my opinion and does well at quite a few things, but I wouldn’t throw anywhere near 2oz on it, highest personally I would go is around a 1/2oz jig or trig. Rod is super light, sensitivity to me is above the price point, and I think a super comfortable reel seat. It is probably my favorite rod in the lineup due to being able to do a bunch of things, but the 7’3” XH is an awesome rod too for a little bigger stuff, and is still very light.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm

I have the 7'1"L casting and the 7'3"XH, light weighs 3.0oz the xh comes in at 3.75oz. Ill mirror what kstephes said, sensitivity is very good for price on both the light an xh. If you want to toss 1.5-2oz go the xh. I was tossing 1/4oz t-rigged craws with the XH and the rod wasnt too much of a broomstick to handle it.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 am

I have a 7'7" Heavy and I wouldn't go over 3/4 on a T-rig. Overloads it to me.

I can absolutely bomb baits with this thing in the yard...haven't fished it yet.

Trying to decide if I want to drop down to the 7'3" XH because I wanted it for pitching and I like a stout rod for hauling fish from wood.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am

The 7’3” XH is definitely a better rod for bigger weights, 3/4 is for sure the upper limit of the 7’7” H, more of a rod for 1/2oz trigs for sure. The 73 will handle 3/4 no problem for me. I have two of them and throw 1/2 to 1oz jigs on one and 1/2-3/4oz trigs on the other, much better suited for the heavier stuff and would be better I think I’m flipping/pitching wood and such with bigger weights if that’s what you do. I use the 77 more for rock jigs and lighter crigs on rocks and for 1/2trigs In lighter vegetation.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Can anyone tell me how the Recon Elite rods compare to the Feather? Specifically, does the Recon Elite 7'1"H balance fairly well and have roughly the same taper? Putting a Curado K on it...

Thanks.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Has anyone tried the 7'1 Medium Feather? Also anyone know how it compares to the 7'2 Medium M1 as far as sensitivity goes? I've fished the 7'2 M1 a lot this past year, and just really like the blank itself, but just debating whether I should just get a custom M1 or give the Feather a try.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 am

I really like my 7’1” M feathers. I have two of them, use them for just about everything. I really like them for tubes, jig worms/shakeyheads, Neko rigs. I have been very impressed with sensitivity with all of my feathers, they haven’t left me wanting more especially for the price. The one thing about the spinning models is you do have to get used to the handle, but I like it now that I have used it for a season, just feels a bit different than really anything else. The blank is more of a mod Fast actoin lile most of the Phenix Rods, and due to that it feels more like what I would call a medium light+ or medium-, but again it is a super versatile rod that I have used for all the above as well as drop shots, weightless Senko and flukes, Ned rigs, even spybaits but usually want a lighter actoin for that.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:32 am

kstephes033 wrote:I really like my 7’1” M feathers. I have two of them, use them for just about everything. I really like them for tubes, jig worms/shakeyheads, Neko rigs. I have been very impressed with sensitivity with all of my feathers, they haven’t left me wanting more especially for the price. The one thing about the spinning models is you do have to get used to the handle, but I like it now that I have used it for a season, just feels a bit different than really anything else. The blank is more of a mod Fast actoin lile most of the Phenix Rods, and due to that it feels more like what I would call a medium light+ or medium-, but again it is a super versatile rod that I have used for all the above as well as drop shots, weightless Senko and flukes, Ned rigs, even spybaits but usually want a lighter actoin for that.
Thanks! These are the same techniques I'll primarily be using the rod for as well, and the way the handle is does concern me a little bit as it is different as I have held them at a local tackle shop. I'll probably head back and put my reel on to see how it feels in hand.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am

I have tried hard to like these rods - that said I HATE the reel seat. I don't care what reel I put on them they hurt my hands.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Yeah the reel seat is something to get used to for sure, might be the way i position my hand with just my pinkie below the reel foot so it doesn’t bother me. That said I’m pretty neutral on the reel seats, there are definitely much better and more comfortable, but it doesn’t bother me at all either and don’t think about it while fishing with it. I am hoping they release the blanks soon here because they would be fun to build and make them how you want. The casting rods on the other hand I really enjoy, they are super comfortable with every reel I have put on them.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:35 pm

What should I get L or ML for weightless plastic like trick/Finesse worm and Super Fluke? I used to have Crucial Dropshot rod Gen2 1/8-3/8oz and this rod can handle weightless trick worm all the way to 5" Senko.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:26 am

If you would be throwing up to the 5” Senko on it I would go with the 7’1” M spinning rod. Phenix Rods tend to be lighter than their designated ratings. I use my 7’1” for 4” Senko, Ned rigs, shakyheads, lighter tube jigs, spybaits, etc. The L action may be a little too light for handling bigger baits ilke a 5” Senko.