St. Croix Avid X

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

St. Croix Avid X

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:18 am

I have a chance to buy this rod, 6'6" M, from a local retailer for about $120, super clearance. I can probably talk them down further and plan on trying.

Does anyone have information on these rods? I checked the warranty, as long as it is a defect or just explodes while fishing it, they will repair for free, aside of a $20 shipping fee. I plan on actually using it on my old Tatula Type R with 30lb braid for topwater. In winter I will switch it out with my newest Zillion SV TW for jerkbaits probably. I own 2 Villain 2.0s, one is still in the plastic, they are 7'M, fast action rods. I am not very tall, I would rather have a 6' even for working hardbaits. I do however fish fine with the 7'M so far for jerkbaits. So the secondary question is, should I just use my extra Villain for topwater/jerkbaits, or should I try the Avid X for that price?

The Kigan micro guides look really nice, I am just worried about leaders passing through them. I shouldn't have that issue fishing topwater, but if I ever do want to run a leader, I would like to know it won't rip the inserts out...

Thanks for any help. Right now, all of my rods are Lew's Custom Speed Sticks, Abu Villains, or TFO Gary's Tactical Series so you have an idea of what I am used to.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St. Croix Avid X

Post by cornmuse » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 am

That is a spectacular price on a superb rod. Essentially its been around for 10 years without much change - the Avid X is mostly a change of grip and guides over a standard Avid with SCII graphite. I use mine for essentially all small moving baits. If I saw a new Avid X in the corner of the tackle shop for $120, I'd buy it without hesitation. You certainly can't go wrong, and a 6'6" M rod, while maybe "out of style" because of length, is still a serious utility player.

Good luck, it sounds like you've found a deal.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 pm

cornmuse wrote:That is a spectacular price on a superb rod. Essentially its been around for 10 years without much change - the Avid X is mostly a change of grip and guides over a standard Avid with SCII graphite. I use mine for essentially all small moving baits. If I saw a new Avid X in the corner of the tackle shop for $120, I'd buy it without hesitation. You certainly can't go wrong, and a 6'6" M rod, while maybe "out of style" because of length, is still a serious utility player.

Sorry, forgot to ask you or anyone who reads this... will leader knots pass through Avid X micro guides? The risen up guides are pretty cool. I'm still trying to match this rod to a reel. Would a Tatula Type R (original) balance too poorly? Whatever the reel, I plan on using 30lb braid for topwater, then putting a reel with 10F for jerkbaits in the winter...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
cornmuse wrote:That is a spectacular price on a superb rod. Essentially its been around for 10 years without much change - the Avid X is mostly a change of grip and guides over a standard Avid with SCII graphite. I use mine for essentially all small moving baits. If I saw a new Avid X in the corner of the tackle shop for $120, I'd buy it without hesitation. You certainly can't go wrong, and a 6'6" M rod, while maybe "out of style" because of length, is still a serious utility player.

Sorry, forgot to ask you or anyone who reads this... will leader knots pass through Avid X micro guides? The risen up guides are pretty cool. I'm still trying to match this rod to a reel. Would a Tatula Type R (original) balance too poorly? Whatever the reel, I plan on using 30lb braid for topwater, then putting a reel with 10F for jerkbaits in the winter...
Anyone know about Kigan micro guides with leader knots, specifically on the Avid X??? Another question I had concerns St. Croix warranty, this model has the 15 year...

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:39 am

I had an Avid X and ended up selling it to a buddy. I never was that impressed with the Avid X.