Gloomis rod above NRX????!!!!!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Gloomis rod above NRX????!!!!!

Post by papabassin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 am

JP DeRose makes the bold statement that the Conquest rods ARE more sensitive than NRXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEeAwjeS_BM

tioke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tioke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:sorry, did you just suggest eva/foam on a 650 dollar rod?

stylish?

appealing?

I love this place sometimes :) :) :)
oh yes all high end megabass rods have cork no eva-foam at all
even evergreen don't use eva-foam
all cork for style
don't understand the love for (full) cork here.
everybody wants brand new materials in the blank and guides nano this and that
sensetivity must be better,weight, reelseats,...
but cork has to stay ](*,)

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 pm

papabassin wrote:JP DeRose makes the bold statement that the Conquest rods ARE more sensitive than NRXs

I had trouble getting past the large tattoo on JP DeRose's right forearm. Is that a bass or trout? I don't remember seeing that huge artwork when I used to watch his show of WFN.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm

papabassin wrote:JP DeRose makes the bold statement that the Conquest rods ARE more sensitive than NRXs

How else would you try to sell a $650 rod, LOL? Right now I'll base my opinion by the "on the water" experience from the guys at tackle tour. GUESS its possible when they become available, there will be 10 guys that say they are more sensitive than the nrx BUT i doubt it

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Isn't this spiral x blank process.... basically what megabass has been doing since the x4 rods?

From a megabass XX rod description:

Each blank features a vertical-axis carbon core wrapped with a 2-axis XX-Micro Carbon layer, followed by an additional vertical-axis carbon layer.
Each blank is then finished off with a 4-axis carbon wrap that goes from the butt section to the mid-section, for a total of 6-axis. Since carbon material is strongest along its axis, this unique manufacturing process adds significant strength to combat blank twist and improve overall structural integrity—all without adding unnecessary weight.
Last edited by spookybaits on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

hmm, at the price point, titanium framed torzites would be appropriate. i'll wait for some future user reviews, im hoping this will be my first gloomis rod.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm

More sensitive than NRX? Ya a bold statement indeed, but i will also wait and see what folks say before committing myself. Funny how he said "all new torzite guides".... :lol: They have been out now for several years now.

I still don't understand why they kept that skeleton reel seat on the casting models. ](*,)

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:54 pm

jpmoney wrote:More sensitive than NRX? Ya a bold statement indeed, but i will also wait and see what folks say before committing myself. Funny how he said "all new torzite guides".... :lol: They have been out now for several years now.

I still don't understand why they kept that skeleton reel seat on the casting models. ](*,)
Yeah. Lol maybe "new" to G. Loomis? :lol: I'm not in love with the casting reel seats either. The spinning reel seats do look fantastic though.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Hennessy wrote:

How else would you try to sell a $650 rod, LOL? Right now I'll base my opinion by the "on the water" experience from the guys at tackle tour. GUESS its possible when they become available, there will be 10 guys that say they are more sensitive than the nrx BUT i doubt it
LOL! The guy works for Shimano, what else do you expect?! Instead of all those stupid videos, they should put a reel on that Conquest rod and show how they improved balance on that series vs NRX rods. And don't say he is incorrect about sensitivity, if Shimano got involved, and with my personal experience with Glorious series, I really think it should be on same level.
There are a lot of pros, sales folks who are continue say total bull promoting the product, but I guarantee you - 99.99% of them never did any real testing to prove it.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

Well it will be the first rod I know of wearing the big mans moniker that will have carbon braiding for support, not that he has his finger in this pie anymore, they don't mention whether this rod has nano resin and 10% lighter than NRX! Nice work! I'm currently using an edge black widow casting rod with spiral wrapped recoils and that thing is crazy light and strong!

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Just curious if there are any more user experiences with these rods. How do they compare vs NRX.

Steve petty
Angler
Angler

Post by Steve petty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 am

NRX rods are sensitive,but the reel seats break,guides pop out if line breaks,so fragile! They are my favorite rods but they have a great warranty because you need it! If the NRX blank was in new GLX components you would have the best rod made! No recoil guides,better reel seat. The recoils are ok to me,but they come out of wraps if you break line! Way too fragile. Don't say I'm abusive,I've had loomis rods for years!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 am

lzeil wrote:hmm, at the price point, titanium framed torzites would be appropriate. i'll wait for some future user reviews, im hoping this will be my first gloomis rod.
What are you talking about? The Conquest rods do have titanium framed guides with Torzite inserts.
spookybaits wrote:Isn't this spiral x blank process.... basically what megabass has been doing since the x4 rods?
Similar but not the same. Each manufacturer has their own implementation of this cross reinforcement concept. The supposed difference with Shimano's is there is no gap between the cross weaved patterns along with the material makeup of each layer. I don't recall the specifics but I'm pretty sure Bantam addresses it in the video we recorded for the article. Bottom line is these rods fish differently than anything else G.Loomis has to offer and they feel different than other rods I've fished with similar technology in the blank. Not everyone will buy into the hybrid manufacturing process and accept the cost of the rods - that's ok because these rods are not intended for everyone. But I know I have my eyes on a couple models :whistle:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 am

I wish they would have just bought the Poison Glorions to the States, but I'm interested in the Conquest. I'm going to wait a while to see what y'all think. :big grin:

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Cal wrote:
lzeil wrote:hmm, at the price point, titanium framed torzites would be appropriate. i'll wait for some future user reviews, im hoping this will be my first gloomis rod.
What are you talking about? The Conquest rods do have titanium framed guides with Torzite inserts.
hmm, it was a observation to the video previously posted...I could swear he said "...k-guides stainless steel outside..." at minute 1:39, maybe he's talking about a different rod?