Gloomis rod above NRX????!!!!!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Gloomis rod above NRX????!!!!!

Post by j2015 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am

Do you think that these are the Poison Ultima blanks?
Last edited by j2015 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am

I guess this is a big news for "average Joe", but Spiral X already been implemented in Poison Adrena rods, Spiral X / Hi-Power X in Poison Glorious line up almost two years ago. Torzite guides - cool feature for sure. Hopefully G. Loomis update current NRX line up with new full cork handles, and Torzite guides.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

Cracker wrote:I guess this is a big news for "average Joe", but Spiral X already been implemented in Poison Adrena rods, Spiral X / Hi-Power X in Poison Glorious line up almost two years ago. Torzite guides - cool feature for sure. Hopefully G. Loomis update current NRX line up with new full cork handles, and Torzite guides.

This tech's actually have been used for years before that in the final dimension rods and even back to the scorpion g4 rods

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:35 am

Can't wait to fish these head to head against my NRX 842 and 843. Not really liking the way the reel seat is set up though, all those threads sticking out under the reel looks horrible. All my NRX rods clamp down to where there are no threads showing, and it is a very comfortable transition. That said, I think I'll be able to overlook that due to how good they perform.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Bootytrain wrote:This tech's actually have been used for years before that in the final dimension rods and even back to the scorpion g4 rods
Final Dimension Review ;)

Scorpion G4 Review ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Cal wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:This tech's actually have been used for years before that in the final dimension rods and even back to the scorpion g4 rods
Final Dimension Review ;)

Scorpion G4 Review ;)
That's where I saw them lol

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

how long until we hear about the first reel seat failure...

I give it 3 weeks after they hit the retail market.
1-2%

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Any insight if they'll include a nicer rod sleeve? The current ones that come with an NRX don't really match a high end rod lol. My GLX center pin rod came with a super nice soft cloth rod sleeve. That was worthy of what you get with a Loomis rod. It's all about the finer details.

A friend of mine bought a Major Craft Frogging rod and it came in a zippered rod pouch/sleeve. Those are nice touches that I hope Loomis doesn't overlook.
Last edited by FrankTheRabbit on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:22 pm

I'll wait for other people to shell out the cash and give their thoughts on the rods first, but I'd be surprised if I don't get the 903C MBR as it is exactly what I have wanted out of a rod for years, at least on paper. I love my NRX893 and 842C but I have dearly wanted the extra length and power that the 893 offered with the slightly softer action of the MBR so if the 903C can give that to me then I will be all over it. While I like the aesthetic of split grips, full cork grip is definitely more comfortable for me to fish and I'm hopeful that it will give the rods better balance than the NRX have.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:37 pm

$650 for this rod? Crazy

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 pm

stingray23 wrote:$650 for this rod? Crazy
My thoughts exactly! And after i read the write up that sensitivity is on par but not better than the nrx, i completely lost interest. If light weight, sensitive & better value is what you're looking for, i own and would suggest 3 other brands. Nrx of course, '15 kistler zbone & daiwa steez ags, which i feel all are in the same ball park. I only see the full grip attracting people to this rod. People making a big deal of the torzite guides, which are nothing new. Id even go with a Phoenix k2 or the st Croix high ends rods that are around $400 WITH torzite guides. Considering the price, i see this rod in the same ballpark as the 13 fishing archangel that was also $650, its discontinued now. LOL

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 pm

I agree with you Hennessy. If I want sensitivity under a NRX don't I just buy a GLX, which has more model options (Lengths, powers, tapers, etc) and call it a day? They even look similar to a NRX with the light blue accent wraps. Wish I can see a benefit of the rod to justify spending $100 more than a NRX. They rave about hook setting and how the rods behaves when a fish is on but I have never had issues with my current GLX or NRX when using these with the right baits, line, and hook set.

A price tag puts this rod in a very limited market. As noted of the Archangel was pretty much a failure if you ask me. Sure it attracted some with the JDM styling and what not but I don't think it was a successful product line on their part.

What would I want in a $650 rod? Well it if it wasn't some insane custom or rare MB rod I would want more. I would say start with something like a K2 blank with MBR and Fast/XF type of tapers. With this blank you get something very light, sensitive and stylish. I would scrap the design and for something stylish or perhaps vary the cork/foam grips depending upon the rod model like MB has done with some of their rod lines past and present. This to me would make it far more appealing and would be a totally new look than what almost looks a NRX 2.0.

Just not that interested in this rod like I was in the new GLX rods... :(

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:45 am

sorry, did you just suggest eva/foam on a 650 dollar rod?

stylish?

appealing?

I love this place sometimes :) :) :)
1-2%

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:46 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:sorry, did you just suggest eva/foam on a 650 dollar rod?

stylish?

appealing?

[-( :roll:

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:sorry, did you just suggest eva/foam on a 650 dollar rod?

stylish?

appealing?

I like cork handles for bottom contact rods but prefer Eva for anything else. This includes rods well into the $600+ price range. To each their own.

The cork seems right on the Conquest rods given their intended use, I will probably end up buying a 902s once they are actually available.