New Senko/Neko Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Senko/Neko Rod

Post by fishballer06 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm looking for a new spinning rod for my Senko and Neko rig needs. I'm considering a few different models and I wanted to get some opinions. I was thinking something 7' medium powered, but I'm seeing a lot of options in this style going upwards of 7'6". That seems little long to me for a spinning rods needs, but maybe this is the way of the future.

I recently got one of the new Expride casting rods and I've been really impressed with it, so I'm considering that same line for this spinning rod (7' Med). Do you think the Expride is worth the upgrade from the Zodias series for fishing Senko/Neko worms?

I also have been looking at the new Tatula Elite rods. Mainly the Meyer 7'4" Med. and the Feider 7'6" ML (which is specially called a Neko rod and I know Feider is a master at this technique). Is the only difference between the Elite and Elite AGS the guides? What are your thoughts on these rods? And again, is it worth it to upgrade to the AGS model for my needs over the standard Elite? These are two rods that seem a little long for what I would think is needed, but again, maybe I'm old fashion.

Last rod I'm considering is the new IMX Pro series. They're a little more money than I want to spend, but if it's a perfect rod for the application I'm willing to spend a little more. Will I notice a big improvement with this rod over the Expride or AGS, or am I paying for the Loomis name/warranty? Would I want a 2 power or a 3 for this presentation?

I look forward to hearing what you guys say. Thanks.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Senko/Neko Rod

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 pm

I use a NRX 852 for Neko and shaky head, it would do senko also.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:12 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I use a NRX 852 for Neko and shaky head, it would do senko also.
x2

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:36 pm

As always, I'd recommend a custom build. I've run across a few persons saying the blanks on the Tatula Elite are far from crisp and lively, and the standard Tatula blanks feel much better. Personally, I'd look into something from Kistler, or maybe Alx. I just like to know my blanks. A Phenix Recon Elite may be worth a look as well.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 am

NRX 804 XMR.

Best Senko Rod ever created.
1-2%

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am

Take a look at the Phenix Bass Recon Elite rods as well.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:19 pm

capt1fish wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I use a NRX 852 for Neko and shaky head, it would do senko also.
x2
X3
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:47 am

I have the Daiwa Cronos 7'6" and the Tatula Signature Series 7'6" rod. The Cronos is a great rod without breaking the bank. I just got the 7'6" Seth Fieder rod in has a little more back bone and it's lighter due to the AGS guides. I throw a lot of Ned rigs and Neko rigs and these rods are perferct for it.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 am

I picked up a few new spinning rods last season and played a lot with a 5” senko. Both rods were fantastic to use. First was a rod I bought primarily for walleye, 6’6” g. Loomis e6x med fast paired with a Stradic CI4 + and second is a st. Croix Avid x 7’ med fast action paired with a shimano nasci. Love both rods, feel like I can cast the avid a touch further, but the loomis feels a touch more sensitive

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm

senko and ned rod not the same for me. a 5 inch senko is about 3/8oz. My Ned rig likely a bit less then 1/4oz. A senko I throw into grass most of the time, my Ned rig is open hook.

Senko I use a BSR 852GLX or more ideally a NRX 893 or 894 casting rod.

Let me focus on the Ned for a moment- tried it on spinning gear and don't like it. Found a M power casting rod with a super tuned Chronarch MG50 reel and 6# yozuri hybrid;;; outcasts spinning and makes the technique fun. The key is an underpowered M power casting rod. for me it is an original Crucial 6'6M dropshot rod. Works good for 4 inch senko's in open water as well.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:04 pm

David,

I agree with you. But I said Neko, not Ned.

I'm really leaning towards the 852C in either the IMX Pro or GLX (if I can find the right deal). But the Expride is still in contention.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 pm

sorry, misread

852c likely good choice but I think many will say the spinning reel gives a more natural fall rate. I think it may be true but I fishing casting any time I can

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:43 pm

I really like the expride and zodias. I dont think the expride is that much of a upgrade over the zodias but i love the cork on the expride. I have both imx pro and expride/zodias rods and i feel the shimano is a much better fit for me. Im a sucker for those jdm tapers over the loomis extra fast. I own casting and spinning expride/zodias and in my hands the spinning models feel a bit more sensitive than the casting

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:57 pm

bronzebacks wrote:I really like the expride and zodias. I dont think the expride is that much of a upgrade over the zodias but i love the cork on the expride. I have both imx pro and expride/zodias rods and i feel the shimano is a much better fit for me. Im a sucker for those jdm tapers over the loomis extra fast. I own casting and spinning expride/zodias and in my hands the spinning models feel a bit more sensitive than the casting
Imo the balance and weight alone is worth the upgrade, but what really surprised me was the sensitivity in the expride blanks vs the zodias. When I pop a jig in deep water, snapping the jig high and letting it fall on slack...with the zodias rods I always see the strikes in my line before feeling them. With the Exprides it's the opposite, I actually feel a tick a split second before seeing my line twitch or stop sinking before it should.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

You didn't say anything about open water vs. close quarters, or line size. These are two very important things to consider. The 2 power Loomis tip is better for light line and light hooks. The 3 power (Medium Heavy) Loomis rods over 7 feet are better for heavier line, and they help set the hook when you have more line out in open water. I'm not a big guy, and the spinning rods over 7'1" are a bit much for me on spinning tackle. I have a 882 Loomis Bronzeback spinning rod that sits in the closet because it feels too long to me.
You should spend the money to get the most sensitive blank possible because this slack line technique benefits a great deal from a more sensitive rod. I throw Senko's a lot on a custom build Point Blank 701MHF. The NRX is a close comparison.