Mojo bass question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Crazyheaven
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Mojo bass question

Post by Crazyheaven » Mon May 29, 2017 7:59 pm

I just brought another mojo bass. It's a 6.8 medium fast. Paired it with the sol and went fishing for a few hours. The balanced felt decent but I ended early. The grip was killing my hand to the point that I kept trying to change my hold to be able to support the rod better with no luck.

This happened before when I first brought the zillion type r a few years back. My first rod was a Abu Garcia. It worked well enough. Can't remember the name of the rod but it was a 7 2 medium heavy. Anyway, I was climbing a hill to get back to the car when a slipped and fell. I didn't get hurt too badly my rod wasn't so lucky. Abu Garcia removed that rod from their lineup so I opted for a medium heavy mojo bass.

At the start of the day the rod felt fine. When one hour turned into two the pain started. After 3 hours I found myself hoping the bass would stop hitting my lures. I was fishing with my dad so I was just trying to hang in with him. I quit in the 4th hour. I noticed the my hand was bright red and was shaking pretty badly. It had started to spread up my arm. I didn't fish again that week.

I had blamed it on the first experience on the weight of the zillion not being a good match for that rod. I returned the mojo bass and brought the original avid, 7 ft medium heavy fast and the problem went away.

Looking at the specs the avid and mojo bass seem so similar. I wonder why I'm experiencing such a large difference between them. I was also having trouble setting the hook with the sol. Anything over 80 ft was plagued with poor hook sets. But that might have been my technique. I caught a lot but I missed a lot. The sensitivity was great and felt just like my avid. The cast were also similar. A split handle vs a full handle but I doubt that was it. Lacking any other knowledge I might have to return the rod and pony up to the avid again.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Mojo bass question

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Crazy. All thing considered, I'd venture weight differential between those sticks to be quite insignificant. Don't know of handle characteristic but I also suspect quite insignificant. Just trying to help here, but sounds like you suffer from gorilla grip. Seriously, if your hand was literally bright red you need to find a more natural hold of your assembly. We all have our preferences depending upon assembly and/or technique. It takes time. For starters, whatever it was you were doing I would stop and do something else. Your grip clearly isn't working for you, the difficulty you describe unacceptable, play with it and find what feels natural. Good luck.
PEACE

Crazyheaven
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Crazyheaven » Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 am

It betting it is my grip. The split handle doesn't give me a ton of clearance to adjust it. It feels like I'm hardly holding it but that might change during the my cast.

I taught myself how to cast. It seems to work as far as distance and accuracy goes. I'll try to get someone to record me this evening.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:08 am

I was given a 7' MHF Mojo a couple of years ago NWT. I made it a back up jig rod for 1/2 oz jigs. Never fished it much as I had a GLX and an Avid for my main jig work but I kinda liked it.

A few months later, I ended up getting invited to a small private lake that held 2-3 pound bass like ants to an ant hill. All I had in the cab of my Ram was the Mojo as I was too lazy to take it out. Left work and went straight to the lake. 2 hours into what was probably the most productive day of fishing in my life, I was done. The bad balance and the grip had me worn out. Sold the rod a few days later. I've been back to that lake once more and had my GLX BRC803 and my Avid. Didn't have the same perfect day, but caught a ton of fish and didn't experience the fatigue I did with the mojo.

I keep a 2 Piece Zodias in my Ram now for those last minute trips. :big grin:

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm betting it's that ridiculously thin and short handle causing the discomfort. I've had the 7'mh mojo for a short time, never could get comfortable with that grip..