U-40 cork sealer and handles with lots of filler

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

U-40 cork sealer and handles with lots of filler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 05, 2017 6:03 am

I've never used any kind of sealer or other products on cork grips in the past, so please forgive the simplistic nature of this question. I've recently added a couple Orochi XX rods to my arsenal, and I'm wondering about what to do with the grips. They have a significant amount of filler in them, and I'm wondering whether U-40 will help keep the grips from pitting due to cork and filler falling out through use, or if it mostly just protects dirt and oils from getting in.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: U-40 cork sealer and handles with lots of filler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 05, 2017 6:34 am

I've refilled new cork grips and refurbished grips with a water based timber filler here in Aus, with some good results due to cork being cork. As long as the cork doesn't flex or is bashed on something hard the filler shouldn't fall out under normal use.

I've coated my grips with a penetrative multi surface treatment with great results without the U40 sealer price tag, and do it covers the sealer well.

Another thing to consider is stainable fillers which are slightly absorbing, these will accept being sealed by a thin solution better than say an oil or linseed based putty.
Last edited by Slazmo on Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 am

Randingo wrote:I've never used any kind of sealer or other products on cork grips in the past, so please forgive the simplistic nature of this question. I've recently added a couple Orochi XX rods to my arsenal, and I'm wondering about what to do with the grips. They have a significant amount of filler in them, and I'm wondering whether U-40 will help keep the grips from pitting due to cork and filler falling out through use, or if it mostly just protects dirt and oils from getting in.
Been using U40 for years - great stuff and reduces cork maintenance dramatically.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 am

I have used U40 on plenty of grips including many that came to me with more filler than I would have liked. No issues with the filler being compromised but I don't think the u40 does much to reinforce it either. It did seem to make it easier to clean up a grip that had stained a bit (saltwater fishing) as the stain was surface only.

To the above poster who mentioned cost, I think u40 only cost me about $8 and I have done about 20 rods and used 1/3 of the container. I get that it's not the cheapest by volume but unless you buy rods a dozen at a time it's pretty inconsequential.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:05 am

As of now it's the trick. as stated float the pitted areas, a few different fine grits for paper finishing, wipe and seal :big grin: I have done many rods on one jar.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sat May 06, 2017 1:06 pm

I was a little reluctant to try it but all of you have changed my mind I'm going to give it a try.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:41 pm

I been using U-40 for about 10-15 years now, the first thing I do when I get a new rod is seal the cork.

Personally I think it does hold the filler in once its been coated, if done when the rod is brand new.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been using U-40 for about 10-15 years now, the first thing I do when I get a new rod is seal the cork.

Personally I think it does hold the filler in once its been coated, if done when the rod is brand new.
This

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Sun May 07, 2017 5:32 pm

I think you wont have any problems filling when its new. The only issue I had eith old rods that i wanted to coat with u-40 is when i scrubbed the habdle, alot of the filler fell out haha so make sure you are disciplined and apply u40 on the new rods and wait for them to dry before using!

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Mon May 08, 2017 4:35 am

Linseed oil becomes hard when it's dry, could act like a glue bonding the filler stronger to the cork. It depends tho, if the filler doesn't absorb anything at all nothing will help. Wet the handle and see if the filler stays dry or picks water up, if it does try linseed imo.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been using U-40 for about 10-15 years now, the first thing I do when I get a new rod is seal the cork.

I agree. I never fish a rod until I treat the cork with U-40. It seems to keep the filler in place, even when I clean the cork at the end of the season.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue May 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Agreed. The Tackle Trap stocks U40 Cork Sealant and it's a great product. I use it on every cork rod, every time.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:55 am

Strewth wrote:

This
This is similar to my experience. In the instances when I cleaned and sealed the cork after use it still worked well but sealing when the rod is new, before use, seems to work even better. I think this is because the surface has not had a chance to be contaminated hindering the effectiveness of the sealer in those areas. This is why I now seal all my cork grips before use.

I use a thin coat of U-40 and suggest carefully masking nearby components so that the sealer only goes where intended on the cork. :big grin:

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:36 am

I started using U-40 a few years back and have been very pleased with the results. First thing I do now when I get a rod. I've used it on older rods where i've cleaned up the cork and added new filler.

With the amount of money we spend new rods with high end cork grips... it's a no brainer

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 pm

U-40 cork sealant is great product! And one jar last for ages.