Casting v's Spinning for Finesse?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting v's Spinning for Finesse?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I use a GLX 842 MBR with a Metanium MGL, that is about as light as I go.

For less then 3/16 oz I like to use spinning reels, that way I don't have to sacrifice power to get the same results.

Generally I use a NRX 852 spinning rod for the less then 3/16 oz lures and it does excellent.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm

A few weeks ago I tried a Ned rig for the first time. On day 1 I was throwing it on a spinning rod (6'9ML model fast action). I caught a bunch of fish but my mid-back got tired quickly. Reminded me that this is a main reason I quit casting with spinning gear. So this inspired the BFS in me. I dug out an old Crucial 6'6m Dropshot casting rod TT reviewed about 10 years ago and put an Ian tuned Chronarch MG50 on it. Then I put some 6# yozuri hybrid line. the next day I went out and too my amazement I could cast this rig farther then the spinning reel and no back pain. Caught just as many fish as well ;)

Subsequently I have put 8# yozuri on my second MG50 and mounted it on a loomis MBR782 for small moving baits. Can throw a 1/4oz tiny spinnerbait a long way on this rig.

The rod and the line are very important! Start with this fix on some small spool casting reels to get you going.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:59 pm

DavidSA wrote:A few weeks ago I tried a Ned rig for the first time. On day 1 I was throwing it on a spinning rod (6'9ML model fast action). I caught a bunch of fish but my mid-back got tired quickly. Reminded me that this is a main reason I quit casting with spinning gear. So this inspired the BFS in me. I dug out an old Crucial 6'6m Dropshot casting rod TT reviewed about 10 years ago and put an Ian tuned Chronarch MG50 on it. Then I put some 6# yozuri hybrid line. the next day I went out and too my amazement I could cast this rig farther then the spinning reel and no back pain. Caught just as many fish as well ;)

Subsequently I have put 8# yozuri on my second MG50 and mounted it on a loomis MBR782 for small moving baits. Can throw a 1/4oz tiny spinnerbait a long way on this rig.

The rod and the line are very important! Start with this fix on some small spool casting reels to get you going.

I have noticed that it wears me out fishing with a spinning rig over a casting rig. Even tried moving the handle over to the right side to siff if that helped and it was about as awkward as hell.

Thank you

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:48 am

My only spinning gear use is for lures under 1.5g now. Over 1.5g my bfs casting reels are much more fun and enjoyable to use for me.

I agree with the others on the rod you have is a bit too much for the light stuff. On a true bfs rod a 3" senko was easy to cast or pitch with an avail 936 in my 50e reels with stock bearings. I then added hedgehog air bfs bearings and even 2g lures could be pitched with ease as long as i was using a soft line. So your 4" senko would be even easier as I could cast/pitch those just fine with the stock spool.

I have a glx 802c which does fine with 4" senkos and really anything down to 1/8oz, any lighter and Ill use the st croix legend inshore (6'6" extra light) or my 6'4" light powered hyuga which has exceeded my expectations for a bfs rod.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
DavidSA wrote:A few weeks ago I tried a Ned rig for the first time. On day 1 I was throwing it on a spinning rod (6'9ML model fast action). I caught a bunch of fish but my mid-back got tired quickly. Reminded me that this is a main reason I quit casting with spinning gear. So this inspired the BFS in me. I dug out an old Crucial 6'6m Dropshot casting rod TT reviewed about 10 years ago and put an Ian tuned Chronarch MG50 on it. Then I put some 6# yozuri hybrid line. the next day I went out and too my amazement I could cast this rig farther then the spinning reel and no back pain. Caught just as many fish as well ;)

I have noticed that it wears me out fishing with a spinning rig over a casting rig. Even tried moving the handle over to the right side to siff if that helped and it was about as awkward as hell.

Thank you
I can't figure it out either. When I was 30 the spinning rod was about all I fished. After a day on the water, I hurt. At 50, only takes about 1 to 2 hours now. No issue with the spinning gear drop shotting so the issue must be arching my back during the cast or something and not the hook set. Regardless, I can cast the baitcaster further with a 1/8oz rig so why think about spinning.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:21 pm

DavidSA wrote:
I can't figure it out either. When I was 30 the spinning rod was about all I fished. After a day on the water, I hurt. At 50, only takes about 1 to 2 hours now. No issue with the spinning gear drop shotting so the issue must be arching my back during the cast or something and not the hook set. Regardless, I can cast the baitcaster further with a 1/8oz rig so why think about spinning.

I started on spinning/spin cast when I was little and moved to Baitcasters around 10. Been using them since. I can go most of a full 8 hour day before my right shoulder is toast. Whats crazy is with a spinning outfit, I can make it an hour before i need a beer...

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Just an update:

I found a killer deal on a new G. Loomis GLX 852C JWR and snatched it up. Should be here Thursday. I know Cal had recommended the MBR and trust me the full cork grip on the MBR would have been much more appealing to have, but I got this JWR like new for 300 shipped. I'll never find an MBR in that shape for that price unless its after the next update with the GLX series. I really wanted an XF tip too and the MBR was only a fast. I prefer an XF when I do a weird backhanded pitch under docks. It seems to help more.

Since I spent so much on the rod, I decided to go just the spool route on a reel. Bought a Yumeya 34mm BFS spool for the Core/Met 09/D7 Series. My plan is to use a Core 100MG or possibly my Metanium MG7 V2 with ZR's and a tune. Run #8 FC Sniper to start with and see how it performs.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks!
Last edited by rockchalk06 on Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 am

rockchalk06 wrote:Just an update:

I found a killer deal on a new G. Loomis GLX 852C JWR and snatched it up. Should be here Thursday. I know Cal had recommended the MBR and trust me the full cork grip on the MBR would have been much more appealing to have, but I got this JWR like new for 300 shipped. I'll never find an MBR in that shape for that price unless its after the next update with the GLX series. I really wanted an XF tip too and the MBR was only a fast. I prefer an XF when I do a weird backhanded pitch under docks. It seems to help more.

Since I spent so much on the rod, I decided to go just the spool route on a reel. Bought a Yumeya 34mm BPF spool for the Core/Met 09/D7 Series. My plan is to use a Core 100MG or possibly my Metanium MG7 V2 with ZR's and a tune. Run #8 FC Sniper to start with and see how it performs.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks!
That stuff should work well.
I fished a lot of BFS casting gear back in the 80's and 90's when doodling, fishing light hand-poured plastics, the splitshot rig, small cranks, and finesse topwater. I got away from it because I was tired of catching small fish. The spools weren't very light in those days and the spinning equipment eventually got so good that I sold my Sol's and put away my custom light action casting rods.
The small (3 inches or less) swimbaits and spybaits have really forced me to bring back the BFS equipment because I hate winding reaction baits on spinning equipment. I catch better fish on these techniques. Also, our lakes in SoCal are finally filling back up and are full of brush/targets that we didn't have for decades. I must have casting for these finesse applications.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 am

I do pretty well with a Dobyns 742 Champ Ex (casting rod) paired with a core 51mg7. The bearings in the core have also been replaced by HedgeHog Air bearings and the reel is lined with 8 pound Seaguar. The rod has enough power to turn 3 - 4 pounders around and still cast 1/16 ounce lures with precision and accuracy.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 pm

I use a spinning reel and a short rod for light stuff when I am fishing in cramped conditions. Some of the banks around here are so overgrown that a pitch is the only cast I can make and I am still far more accurate at it with a spinning reel and find that with light lures the spinning reel out distances a casting reel by a huge amount. It is slow and annoying, but usually after an hour or two I get in the zone and can make a few pitches very quickly. When I am somewhere more open I usually pick a casting combo with a longer rod. I still don't have enough skill to make super short, accurate casts with a BFS combo so it also gets picked when I am at a spot where I can get back a little more from my target.