Casting v's Spinning for Finesse?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Casting v's Spinning for Finesse?

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm at a brick wall here and need some advice/opinions/smacks on the head etc.

I spent 3 days fishing Table Rock a few weeks ago and the only thing we could get the fish to commit on was light gear. 4" Senko's, NED rigs, shakeyheads etc. I watched the guys I was with using Spinning gear and they seemed to have much less issues around cover, docks than I did with casting.

I had two light rigs. Looms SBR812 and a BRC803. Both had Shimano 50's that were tuned but stock spools. 8# fluoro on one and 30# Braid on the other. Pitching around docks on the light rigs sucked arse for me. The water level was close to 20-25 feet around the docks. My comfort zone is a 7'3" or a 6'9"MH-H with a 3/8-1/2 oz jig. I was all kinds of screwed up if it wasn't open water. I knew then I had to switch things up.

I see the BFS crowd and they seem to love their stuff. How do you BFS guys do pitching lite baits? Better or worse than with a spinning rig?

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Casting v's Spinning for Finesse?

Post by evilcatfish » Thu May 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Table Rock is a unique and finicky place.

Now that I've had some practice, I do pretty well pitching light baits on my BFS setups. In fact I never really use my spinning rods anymore. A ML-M rod and abec 7s will help.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri May 05, 2017 3:50 am

I always had trouble with 1/8-3/16 on my shimano 50. A diy spool would make all the difference in the world.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 05, 2017 5:03 am

rockchalk06 wrote:I had two light rigs. Looms SBR812 and a BRC803.
I think your issue might be with the fishing rods. I wouldn't consider the BCR803 a finesse stick. I haven't handled the SBR812, so couldn't speak to that stick.

I've used the MBR842C GLX with very good success drop shotting and with weighted and unweighted Senko style baits. Might consider a new stick or two for the lighter presentations.

Or...

You can typically cast lighter baits on spinning gear with heavier powered rod.... so you could easily fish the BCR803 spinning rod equivalent in the applications you mentioned above.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

With water this deep, you also have to make sure you're feeding slack so the bait doesn't pendulum away as it's sinking. Obviously, that's much more easily accomplished with a spinning reel, though it can be done without too much trouble with a baitcasting reel as long as you are aware that it needs to happen. I know this wasn't an answer to your question, but it might have contributed to your difficulties.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 am

No problems working docks with my BFS rigs but I prefer to roll cast and skip undet docks rather than pitch. I guess I could pitch-skip but I'm no good at that. I prefer my 'mag BFS' ML rods and 3/16 to 1/4 total weight when working under docks. For the Ned I cast parallel to the docks on the shady side with a 68L Volkey mostly. You're a Shimano guy right? What about a Scorpion BFS and a Zodias 68L?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:20 am

masterbass wrote:I always had trouble with 1/8-3/16 on my shimano 50. A diy spool would make all the difference in the world.

Been looking at them today. I may pull the trigger soon

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:24 am

Cal wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:I had two light rigs. Looms SBR812 and a BRC803.
I think your issue might be with the fishing rods. I wouldn't consider the BCR803 a finesse stick. I haven't handled the SBR812, so couldn't speak to that stick.

I've used the MBR842C GLX with very good success drop shotting and with weighted and unweighted Senko style baits. Might consider a new stick or two for the lighter presentations.

Or...

You can typically cast lighter baits on spinning gear with heavier powered rod.... so you could easily fish the BCR803 spinning rod equivalent in the applications you mentioned above.

Both are XF 2 and 3 powers but the 812 actually feels stiffer then the 803.

I've looked into the 842, but the price is so close that I could have a custom done for the same price.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:26 am

LowRange wrote:No problems working docks with my BFS rigs but I prefer to roll cast and skip undet docks rather than pitch. I guess I could pitch-skip but I'm no good at that. I prefer my 'mag BFS' ML rods and 3/16 to 1/4 total weight when working under docks. For the Ned I cast parallel to the docks on the shady side with a 68L Volkey mostly. You're a Shimano guy right? What about a Scorpion BFS and a Zodias 68L?

Yes sir. I actually went to Cabelas today and messed with the Revo Rocket and ALX and started to question my faith lol

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri May 05, 2017 7:09 am

rockchalk06 wrote:but the 812 actually feels stiffer then the 803.
If the 812 feels stiffer than the 803, then you're going to need something else :/ ... G.Loomis 3 power is not something I'd consider for finesse applications. I'm surprised that 812 feels that way, but I haven't fished the SBR series. I have a few BCR803 NRXs though, so I'm familiar with that blank.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 am

Cal wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:but the 812 actually feels stiffer then the 803.
If the 812 feels stiffer than the 803, then you're going to need something else :/ ... G.Loomis 3 power is not something I'd consider for finesse applications. I'm surprised that 812 feels that way, but I haven't fished the SBR series. I have a few BCR803 NRXs though, so I'm familiar with that blank.

That 803 GLX will be buried with me! It's got a gem of a 09 Aldebaran MG7 on it.

I'll look at the 842 or see if I can find a used one.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Back in the day, I never could get my Shimano's, including a Conquest 50, to cast really light stuff as well as I wanted, which led me to trying Pixy's and Alpha's. I use a Pixy on a Powell Max 682 for dropshotting and Pixy's and Alpha's R and Sol's for various other light weight baits on various rods and do fine. Things like the ned rig, unweighted plastics, small cranks, etc. on line up to 12 lb. work great on those reels. The cover I fish is 12 ft or under, not 20. I never mastered spinning gear but bought a spin rod this year and have been trying it out. So far, on my lake, I can't gain an advantage using it.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 pm

I would agree that the rod is whats hurting you

I have E50 with tuning and one with a ktf spool that I use mostly for 4 to 8lb test and I have it on an old cork crucial drop shot rod.
I have an MG7 Aldebaran that I put on a lami 735c rod for light trigs and the kreit shaky head with the light wire hooks and I've brought in every single fish but I'm only using 8 to 10lb test

I would find a lighter power rod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat May 06, 2017 5:52 am

I go between casting and spinning for finesse based on wind, depth, and my need to hit a small target. The 4" Senko (I am assuming you are fishing the non-slim version) is really fun to fish when fishing shallow water (8' or less) with a Loomis 822C blank and an Alphas SV reel. As has been said, you will really benefit by going to a lighter blank than what you have.
I have the Mudhole MHX High Modulus 822 blank (designed from the Loomis blank) on both spinning and casting rods. They are great all-around finesse blanks for 1/8 to 1/4 oz. baits. I almost always have at least one on the deck of my boat. They aren't as sensitive as some of the more expensive blanks, but they are durable. I will use the casting anytime that I face tight conditions and water less than about 8'. I'll pick up the spinning rod anytime that I am fishing deeper than about 8' and/or the wind gets heavy. It's a lot easier to open up the bail and wait for your Senko to sink in deep water. It's also a lot easier to cast against the wind with the spinning if you are forced to do so.
I would go with a lighter true-BFS blank if you plan to fish 1/8 oz. or less more often.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sat May 06, 2017 1:12 pm

[quote="toddmc"]I go between casting and spinning for finesse based on wind, depth, and my need to hit a small target. The 4" Senko (I am assuming you are fishing the non-slim version) is really fun to fish when fishing shallow water (8' or less) with a Loomis 822C blank and an Alphas SV reel. As has been said, you will really benefit by going to a lighter blank than what you have.
I have the Mudhole MHX High Modulus 822 blank (designed from the Loomis blank) on both spinning and casting rods. They are great all-around finesse blanks for 1/8 to 1/4 oz. baits. I almost always have at least one on the deck of my boat. They aren't as sensitive as some of the more expensive blanks, but they are durable. I will use the casting anytime that I face tight conditions and water less than about 8'. I'll pick up the spinning rod anytime that I am fishing deeper than about 8' and/or the wind gets heavy. It's a lot easier to open up the bail and wait for your Senko to sink in deep water. It's also a lot easier to cast against the wind with the spinning if you are forced to do so.
I would go with a lighter true-BFS blank if you plan to fish 1/8 oz. or less more often.[/quot
This is a lot like what I do deep water I use spinning,and also for windy conditions.