Rod for topwater poppers/jerkbaits?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod for topwater poppers/jerkbaits?

Post by Mattpusa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:00 am

Looking for a rod for topwater poppers/jerkbaits. I am thinking a 6'6 to 6'10 medium fast action? I am really enjoying my klx rods but I am thinking it's not nescessary to pay $250 for a topwater popper/jerkbait rod since sensitive won't be much key, but I could be wrong, but I also want something light weight that won't be much fatigue(currently using a 7' mojo bass medium fast and that sucker kills the wrist). Am I asking too much to have it as a jerkbait rod as well?

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod for topwater poppers/jerkbaits?

Post by stingray23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 am

You're not asking too much. I use my MB XX jerkbait special for both jerkbaits and topwater. Its a great rod for both. My cousin has the KLX 6'9" MH-mod/fast rod for jerkbaits and topwater and its also a great rod.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:17 pm

I fish topwaters and jerkbaits tip down. A 7' rod just doesn't work well. 6'6" is just right for me in my current boat. And, for me, I use the same rod for both topwaters and jerkbaits. I build a fair number of rods for guys that use the rod for both techniques as well.

Your belief that you don't need an expensive rod for these techniques is valid. These are techniques where feel isn't very important. But, typically speaking, the more money you put into a rod, the lighter it is going to be. Lighter rods are less fatiguing and often times balance better.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 am

Jerk baits are my favorite bait/technique. That reason alone puts me in the high quality blank camp for jerk baits. Matt built me a custom on a St Croix legend extreme blank in MHM to use with braid/mono leader. My other jerk bait rod is a kistler Z bone LEXF 3 MHXF to use with straight fluoro. The high modulus blanks weigh less & help depart crisp movement when working a bait erratically. Being an old guy I appreciate the high quality blank being less fatiguing and am willing to pay for it.

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:48 am

So medium heavy or medium or can I get away with either or? Mod fast tip or fast tip or could I get away with either or?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:12 am

I actually use a 6'5" med lite mod fast with braid for poppers and jerkbaits. The upper lure weight limit is 1/2 so it works great with 110's on down to the 3/16 duo jerkbat. It handles Rico"s, OB's, and Binksy's like a champ, too.

I also throw jerkbaits on the solid tip tatula with 10# fluoro, but I've never tried topwater with it, mostly because of the line and the fact that the MC is so well suited for it.
This is the way.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:16 am

Mattpusa wrote:So medium heavy or medium or can I get away with either or? Mod fast tip or fast tip or could I get away with either or?

If its a medium rod, get a mod/fast-fast rod. If its medium heavy, get a mod. rod.

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 am

Brands to look into? Currently eyeing.6'9 kistler klx medium moderate fast. But would like to have some options,also rods on the lighter side as well.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am

A Hammer Rods 6'9" Medium is a great top water and jerk bait rod in the well under $200 price range. It's light and loads baits nicely, has a slower than fast taper and is a solid performer.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:01 pm

I like this one best. Its the exact rod my cousin got and I love it. Its his jerkbait/topwater rod.
http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fishin ... P68ZoVFs7A

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

It's a preference thing in terms of action. I think mod to mod-fast rods are better for landing fish on these baits with their small trebles, but I generally prefer a faster action for working the bait--it just seems more responsive. My main jerkbait and topwater rod at the moment is the Avid-X 6'8 MXF. It actually does a much better job of keeping fish buttoned than the xf designation would lead you to suspect. I really don't like working jerkbaits on moderate action rods--it just feels like I'm working harder to make the bait move correctly, and I spent a long time trying to like them because in theory, they're better for trebles. Lots of guys fish fast and extra fast rods for jerkbaits. If you ask the guys at Dobyns they'll say if you prefer to work it on a fast action rod, we recommend rod x (say a DC 683C), but if you prefer a more moderate action, then we suggest rod y (maybe a DC 684CB). So try to figure out what you like or dislike about the rods you use for these techniques now. That should probably point you in one direction or another.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Mattpusa wrote:So medium heavy or medium or can I get away with either or? Mod fast tip or fast tip or could I get away with either or?
I see two camps when I build these types of rods...

1 - Guys that like more of a crankbait rod. Moderate action and longer.

2 - Guys that like more of a jig rod. Fast action and shorter.

I prefer the latter. 6'6", fast action, 1/4 - 3/4 ounce rating.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 pm

It depends on how you present the bait, too. If I'm doing a twitch-twitch-pause I'd rather have an extra fast, because I'm kind of fishing it like a jig and the fish are kind of biting like a jig. Once I feel them take the bait, i set the hooks like a jig, even though they're trebles because the bait probably wasn't moving when they hit it, so you can't really get a lean-in type hookset as easily as driving the hooks home the best you can and keeping pressure on them from there.

If you're walking the dog or doing a more steady retrieve, then a more moderate action would probably be better.

And then there's the whole line choice thing which changes the equation again.

The thing about wanting topwater versatility, though, makes me think you should look at a mod-fast action, since some topwaters other than poppers are steady retrieve baits and in both cases they have trebles and you don't want to pull the bait away too fast.
This is the way.

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 am

What do you guys think about this rod?

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fishin ... P-8Xjw8KaM

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:25 am

Mattpusa wrote:What do you guys think about this rod?

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fishin ... P-8Xjw8KaM
Na man. Pass on that. I don't even know what those guides are on it. And a split grip handle is snaggy for tip down/ walking the dog/jerkbait applications.

This is the rod I was going to recommend before I clicked on that kistler. Turns out it's the exact same price(actually cheaper with tackletour forum member discount thru tackletrap).
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=2312
That rod is money for topwater, jerkbaits and shallow cranks. It's a proven winner.
If something happened to my beloved vintage topwater rods, that rod would be in the top 3 rods of what I would replace it with, reguardless of price.

Also worth taking a hard look at is the new jdm rattleviper. I haven't held it personally so I can't say for sure, but it sure fits the bill on paper. $249 +tackletour forum member discount.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=10649
Last edited by spookybaits on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:53 am, edited 4 times in total.