Anyone with experience with Daiwa cronos spinning rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone with experience with Daiwa cronos spinning rods?

Post by vncnt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:35 am

Looking for opinions on the Daiwa cronos spinning rods. Specifically the 7'6" m-ml fast rod. I want a long rod for float and fly, spinbaits and drop shot. Can anyone speak to the sensitivity, feel and versatility of this rod?

Thanks

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone with experience with Daiwa cronos spinning rods?

Post by big_gee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:49 am

I have a few of the Cronos 7'6" rods. I absolutely love them for the price. I fish everything from 1/20 oz ned rigs, drop shop, small soft jerkbait and 3" senkos. The one thing about this rod is I can throw a 1/20 oz ned rig a long ways. The tip loads up perfectly for light baits. I was surprised with the sensitivity. It was more sensitive then I thought it was going to be. I can detect strikes on a long cast and with the long rod hooks sets are not an issue. I also have the extra fast which I like a little more then the fast. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the Cronos rods. I have my fair share of them as well as Zillion and Steez rods. Most of my Tatula rods sit on the rack since I got my Cronos rods.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 am

I have the extra fast model as well. It has a megatop style tip on the extra fast model. I would not choose that model as a dedicated float n fly model. It has a very light and very fast tip which makes it excell at throwing light baits and it works pretty good for drop shotting as well. I would want a longer more parabolic rod for float n fly fishing as that requires long leaders under floats and a different style lob type casting that the longer more moderate rod is a better tool for.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for the replies. Now in an buy with confidence. I like the Tatula rods already and if the cronos are better, then I'm sure I'll like them.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 am

I'm sure you will like them. They are a very underrated rod. I'm actually going to order another 7'ML.

Let me know what you think after you fish it.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:34 am

Big_gee, what makes you like the xfast more? I have a stinger tip Megabass drop shot rod and feel that it is very tech specific. I am looking for a little more versatility, BUT I drop shot A LOT. I guess what I want is a rod that can fish different finesse techniques but is also good with dropshotting.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 am

Vncnt I have them both and fish them both a lot. I tend to grab the XF more then the F. Just my personal preference. I throw the ned rig a lot and love small plastic jerk baits but I usually have a drop shot rigged on the F or the 7'1"ML. When fishing the ned rig and small reaction baits I make longer cast as I fish a lot of super clear water so the XF I think is better for that., When fishing a dropshot my cast are much shorter as I want more contact with my bait and the F works well for that. To me they both work well but if you feel that the Fast well suit you better then go with that. Most guys split hairs when it comes to certain rods and techniques. I've been fishing tournaments for a long time so I go with what works for me. I just try and offer a little help when possible.

By the way I have the Steez Megatop as well. I don't use it as much as I used to.

Let me know what you try. Either way I think you will be happy.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 am

i have two 7'1" medium light, 7'3" medium, and two 7'6" medium light XF's. i'm in love with this series. very crisp and sensitive. the 7'1" is my go to DS rod. the 7'6" i use for all my super light stuff and breaking fish type baits. you can really launch a light bait with that thingon a 30-35 series reel! its a dynamite coolbaits underspin rod and can sling a double fluke rig a mile. the 7'3" is an all purpose rod {neko, fluke, heavy DS, ned, fluke}. i tend to use is more for the neko rid as it excels in that regard. i watched a video with Brett Hite on "the hookup tackle FB page and he said its a direct rip from the old Diawa 7'3" Fuego blank that was so uber popular during its time. all in all, you cant go wrong. i wanna upgrade to the same rods in the signature series that just came out but i'm having trouble trying to justify it since its just the same rods in a new Gucci designed blank and $20 more lol

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 pm

hookfynn wrote:i have two 7'1" medium light, 7'3" medium, and two 7'6" medium light XF's. i'm in love with this series. very crisp and sensitive. the 7'1" is my go to DS rod. the 7'6" i use for all my super light stuff and breaking fish type baits. you can really launch a light bait with that thingon a 30-35 series reel! its a dynamite coolbaits underspin rod and can sling a double fluke rig a mile. the 7'3" is an all purpose rod {neko, fluke, heavy DS, ned, fluke}. i tend to use is more for the neko rid as it excels in that regard. i watched a video with Brett Hite on "the hookup tackle FB page and he said its a direct rip from the old Diawa 7'3" Fuego blank that was so uber popular during its time. all in all, you cant go wrong. i wanna upgrade to the same rods in the signature series that just came out but i'm having trouble trying to justify it since its just the same rods in a new Gucci designed blank and $20 more lol

Please provide link to the video refrenced. I can't find it.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 am

jte54 wrote:
hookfynn wrote:i have two 7'1" medium light, 7'3" medium, and two 7'6" medium light XF's. i'm in love with this series. very crisp and sensitive. the 7'1" is my go to DS rod. the 7'6" i use for all my super light stuff and breaking fish type baits. you can really launch a light bait with that thingon a 30-35 series reel! its a dynamite coolbaits underspin rod and can sling a double fluke rig a mile. the 7'3" is an all purpose rod {neko, fluke, heavy DS, ned, fluke}. i tend to use is more for the neko rid as it excels in that regard. i watched a video with Brett Hite on "the hookup tackle FB page and he said its a direct rip from the old Diawa 7'3" Fuego blank that was so uber popular during its time. all in all, you cant go wrong. i wanna upgrade to the same rods in the signature series that just came out but i'm having trouble trying to justify it since its just the same rods in a new Gucci designed blank and $20 more lol

Please provide link to the video refrenced. I can't find it.
its a live FB video that was posted by "The Hookup Tackle". its on finesse fishing/neko rigging. i couldn't copy and paste the video link for some reason but you can go to the FB page and watch it on there FB page. it starts at the 18 minute mark in that particular video.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm

I was planning on buying the rod for around $130-140. A few online stores had it at that price. Cheapest is see now is $160 after tax and shipping. Might wait and see if I can find it cheaper.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 am

Found a 7'6" cronos for a good price. Just placed my order. Now I just have to choose a reel. I'd feel weird not putting a Daiwa on it. Thinking a jdm reel like an emeraldas or theory.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue May 02, 2017 12:14 am

I have all of mine paired with Ballistic's and Sol's but I am think of getting the Luvias.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:21 pm

I've had the rod for a few weeks now and took it out a few times. I really e joy it. Light for its length and plenty sensitive for its price point. It's no Megabass hedgehog, but it's just what I was looking for. Light enough tip for casting and manipulating light rigs. Good power and backbone for fighting fish and pulling free from snags. Paired with a Daiwa theory 2506 and 10lb braid, this rod launches rigs within its ratings. Very happy with this rod

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:11 am

Vncnt,

Glad you like the rod., I think they are great for their price point. As a matter of fact I picked up 4 more Cronos rods a couple of weeks ago.