Loomis GLX BCR803 compared to now?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Loomis GLX BCR803 compared to now?

Post by rockchalk06 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm not really trying to compare a rod from 2005 to one from 2017, but how does this rod feel to folks still using it?

I picked up one that should be here today. Recoil, full cork grip and finish look like the guy kept it in a dark closet it's entire life. Rod is immaculate.

I read TT's review on it giving it good praises.

The real reason for getting this rod is my old man had one several years ago. It was the last purchase he made before he passed away. He would rave about this rod every time he went fishing. Unfortunately, I have some family members that belong behind bars and most of his stuff was pawned before we could have a chance to secure it. I was able to secure his 45, but not the 803, hence the reason for buy this one.

My plan is to channel my inner early 00's and slap my Aldebaren MG7 on this rod. Make a shorty combo for under 10 ounces. Use it for skipping 3/8 oz < under docks?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rockchalk06 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loomis GLX BCR803 compared to now?

Post by bigfruits » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:37 am

im my hands my BCR803 is close or as sensitive as many of my NRX rods. I love it so much I bought a backup.I have an Aldebaran MG7 on mine too!

1/4oz jigs plus plastic is what is usually tied on.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:20 am

so Z owns my 803 glx now and likes to make threats about converting it to a spinning rod just to get me worked up :crying:

To your question, I think the bcr 803glx is as good or better then any 3/8oz jig or t-rig rod I've ever fished. I fished the NRX803c side by side for years and they were equal but different. The tip on the glx is so fast that it becomes the deal for worm fishing but the nrx version was better for my finesse rigs. I sold to Z because I got hooked on long rods.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend you fish a dense 14 or 16# fc line on that rod. You want the dense FC to bang on those recoils and send you info that your mind does not need to process much to interpret. For years I heard guys talk about braid on these rods and I always thought that was OFF. Go with what it was meant to do and enjoy.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 am

Ha! for the record, my initial intention was to make it into a spinning rod. i thought about it some and because i own a NRX 803s and the GLX BSR 803, i thought it would serve better as insurance should i ever happen to break my beloved GLX BCR 803. I have a feeling that even after using expeditor to get the new version, i'd miss it greatly.

although this rod is not for sale, if you have seller's remorse ill sell it to you for the price i paid. it hasnt been used.

i think the 803 maxes out at 3/8oz lead plus plastic. most 1/4oz jigs are actually about 9gs and with a medium plastic craw trailer it feels ideal for casting/pitching/hopping/dragging on the 803. obviously not a heavy cover rod.

great length IMO for pitching, skipping and roll casting. this is one of my favorite rods (top 3) in a quiver of a couple dozen NRX, GLX, MB XX and XXX and St. Croix LEs.

Ian has my Aldebaran Mg7 but here it is with a Core Mg7. Its hard for me to weigh it on my small digital scale but the combo with line is about 285g +- 5g.

BTW, i love palming this rod (and all the old MBRs, BCRs) with my finger laying on the ugly plastic threads. makes any reel feel smaller than on most rods in my hands.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 am

rockchalk06 wrote:I'm not really trying to compare a rod from 2005 to one from 2017, but how does this rod feel to folks still using it?

I picked up one that should be here today. Recoil, full cork grip and finish look like the guy kept it in a dark closet it's entire life. Rod is immaculate.

The real reason for getting this rod is my old man had one several years ago. It was the last purchase he made before he passed away. He would rave about this rod every time he went fishing. Unfortunately, I have some family members that belong behind bars and most of his stuff was pawned before we could have a chance to secure it. I was able to secure his 45, but not the 803, hence the reason for buy this one.

My plan is to channel my inner early 00's and slap my Aldebaren MG7 on this rod. Make a shorty combo for under 10 ounces. Use it for skipping 3/8 oz < under docks?

Thanks in advance.
I believe that I have been thinking about picking up the little brother "bcr802" from the same source. Do I need it, no. Do I want it, hell yeah. Those were and are a great rod. I have a old green Curado 50e with a 32mm Yumuya spool with Hedgehog parts just looking for a home.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 am

johnnybassboat wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:I'm not really trying to compare a rod from 2005 to one from 2017, but how does this rod feel to folks still using it?

Thanks in advance.
I believe that I have been thinking about picking up the little brother "bcr802" from the same source. Do I need it, no. Do I want it, hell yeah. Those were and are a great rod. I have a old green Curado 50e with a 32mm Yumuya spool with Hedgehog parts just looking for a home.
I seriously considered it. I can't think of a reason I need it though. I will say the seller, shipped fast and packed the rod great. Good dude

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate it.

I have everything packed for a trip in two days or I'd get some pictures of the set up. Feels great. I picked up some of the new Storm 5" 360 search baits and think this may be a great little rig to skip docks with.