Orochi xx Tour Versatile for Grenades?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ChiGGz
Angler
Angler

Orochi xx Tour Versatile for Grenades?

Post by ChiGGz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 am

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker looking for some advice.

I'd like an "all purpose" rod that can be used primarily for larger crank baits (Grenade, 10xd) and possibly spinners secondary. Bonus if it can triple duty as a frog rod!

Is the Tour Versatile a good rod for these applications?

Thanks!
-ChiGGz

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Orochi xx Tour Versatile for Grenades?

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 am

Frogs and spinner baits yes. 10XD no. Just my 2 cents. I owned one for a year and liked it for heavier trigs and jigs

ChiGGz
Angler
Angler

Post by ChiGGz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for the input RE 10xd.

Come to think of it, I will only go as big as the MB Grenade for cranks (1-5/8oz) which is much smaller than a 10xd. Would the TV be a suitable candidate for this?

How efficiently would I be able to launch hollow body frogs?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:30 pm

It could handle your bigger squarebills, I personally prefer a moderate action rod for treble hook baits. It could sling a standard Spro just fine. Only frog I use.

I would contact Gary @ The Tackle Trap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:25 am

The Seven Eleven x4 and Black Python x4 do well with both deep cranks and frogs. I've fished both with an IP68 on #30 braid.

ChiGGz
Angler
Angler

Post by ChiGGz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 am

LowRange wrote:The Seven Eleven x4 and Black Python x4 do well with both deep cranks and frogs. I've fished both with an IP68 on #30 braid.
Would be awesome but a little bit out of my budget range for now :)

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 am

In the XX Series you are gonna want the Launcher, Perfect Pitch or Flipping Special to throw the Grenade.

ChiGGz
Angler
Angler

Post by ChiGGz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 pm

M Perry wrote:In the XX Series you are gonna want the Launcher, Perfect Pitch or Flipping Special to throw the Grenade.
Perfect Pitch is interesting....is it too fast for crank baits though?

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 am

Yes it is way too fast i think for anything treble wise. That is a great jig, trig, and frog rod, not so much moving baits imo, and the flipping special is literally the same rod just longer. There isnt really anything in the XX lineup that would work well for throwing heavy cranks like that, nothing at least that would be comfortable throwing that weight but still have enough of a parabolic bend to work well with cranks. Personally i would look at other brands unless you move up to a more expensive line in MB.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am

The Grenade is 1 5/8 oz. and the 10XD is 2 oz. If I wanted a Megabass XX for those baits, I'd consider the Leviathan. It's surprisingly forgiving despite it's power and in my hands, handles a 10XD well. The Tour Versatile will be ok for the Grenade and good for frogs, but it's really not right for a 10XD.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:20 am

Also consider too, that those 10XD have alot of pull coming through the water so a rod more for giving would be better suited.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:23 am

Blackjack!! I throw grenades, 2oz wood billed baits, and 10xds feel great! I have the TV and big no for those close to 2oz lures.

ChiGGz
Angler
Angler

Post by ChiGGz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 am

Thank-you all for the replies so far.

I'm leaning more towards the Pitch Perfect as a few people have actually recommended it and say it would do fine with cranks such as the Grenade -- but one person did reply back in this thread saying might be it too fast. Does anyone have experience with the PP, how would it be for large cranking applications?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 am

Honestly, while there are general guidelines and a consensus around the idea that rods for crankbaits need to be slower action than those for bottom contact, single hook presentations, that's all they are--guidelines. Sure, most people will think both of the XX models you're talking about are too fast for cranks, others will be successfully using them. I'm not saying there aren't good reasons for more moderate actions for moving presentations, but I am saying it's definitely possible to fish those same lures and presentations successfully with a fast action rod.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 am

ChiGGz wrote:Thank-you all for the replies so far.

I'm leaning more towards the Pitch Perfect as a few people have actually recommended it and say it would do fine with cranks such as the Grenade -- but one person did reply back in this thread saying might be it too fast. Does anyone have experience with the PP, how would it be for large cranking applications?

Biggest concern is not overpowering the rod on casts. Might have to lob them a bit more. The other thing that I think makes the PP a good fit with the Grenade is that you have upsized treble hooks and you need a rod that you can really lean into a bit to get good penetration on hookset. I know itsounds a bit different to say that in regards to a crankbait but you are dealing with a larger bait and some of the issues you encounter are different than a regular sized bait.