Original Powell Max vs Max 3D

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Original Powell Max vs Max 3D

Post by reelblues » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm sure this got answered when the 3D came out, but I haven't seen anything. I absolutely love my early Max's and was wanting to know how the new 3D compares to the oringinal Max, especially for the 6'8" MH and 7'2" MH. Thanks!
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Original Powell Max vs Max 3D

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 am

I believe the reel seat is different on the 3D, but I'm not sure beyond that. I've got one of the old Max frog rods and really like it

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 am

my max is the 703 and my 3D's are the stout types (7'7 and 7'9) flipping and punching rods.

I like the blanks on the 3D as well as the Powell Max. The weight of the 3D is maybe 20% more on like models but balance is great. Overall I think the weight/balance ratio better on the 3D then original max. After pitching with a 3D for a day, I decided the reels seat does not fit my hand as well as the old Max seat. Your fit may vary from me.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 am

DavidSA wrote:my max is the 703 and my 3D's are the stout types (7'7 and 7'9) flipping and punching rods.

I like the blanks on the 3D as well as the Powell Max. The weight of the 3D is maybe 20% more on like models but balance is great. Overall I think the weight/balance ratio better on the 3D then original max. After pitching with a 3D for a day, I decided the reels seat does not fit my hand as well as the old Max seat. Your fit may vary from me.
Yea, the 3D looked bigger in the pictures. I have small hands, so that's an issue.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau