Long distance topwater rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Long distance topwater rod

Post by Patex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I fish a lake that is very shallow and very clear. I fish it from the shore but only accessible from certain spots. The only lure that works all year around (except when it's frozen:) is topwater. I need to cast 70 - 100 yards to get to the fish. I love using baitcaster but I had to go back to an 8ft spinning rod and reel to get consistently that distance, my baitcasters does not even come close.
I used an IP68 with 30lb braid on a 8 foot baitcasting rod rated 3/8 -1oz but I am not getting the distance. I use the same 30lb braid on the spinning reel. For lures I use Zara Spook, Zara spook Jr, Giant DogX, Deps Buzzjet, OSP Yamato, so lures between 1/2-1oz.

Any recommendations for a baitcasting rod, reel combo that will easily get me the 70-100 yards distance?
Thank you in advance.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Long distance topwater rod

Post by TommyG » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:09 am

I have an IP68 and it is not a distance reel, the brakes are just too strong. I have a Zillion TWS HLC that goes 160-170 ft.
with 20lb braid and a spook. I am using a shorter rod. I would stay with the rod you have and try another baitcaster beside the IP68.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:16 am

PXTR is a reel that easily gives me distance... its sick but it been tuned and if you dont have braid line cap maybe and issue
i would recommend that Antares, reel as its my bombardier of reel but i've had great success out of a steez with an SV spool
any rod 7'2" or better IMO will give you some distance.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:23 pm

I honestly really doubt you can throw any topwater bait so far (70-100 yards distance). How did you measure it?
Regarding your question.

Here is the video with 2016 Antares DC and Poison Glories 7'4"MH rod, looks like a great combo for your needs.
You can also try a new 2017 Exsence DC reel
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/4658

With Shimano Lunamis series
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/3850
or Shimano Exsence series
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/380

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you all.
TommyG, Goldrod: yes I had that feeling with the IP68 that the brakes are too strong.
I have the same feeling with the IS71 vs standard Steez.
I have 1016 spool I will try it in the FX68. If none works I will have to buy a new reel. :D

Cracker, how did I measure it? Google maps has a function where you can measure the distance between two points. Also I spooled 150yards braid on my spool and at the end of the cats half or 3/4 of the spool was empty, but google maps is more accurate. :)
I will check out the rods as well because the 8ft baitcaster is an old Abu and has a parabolic action, so that may have an impact as well. It proves my experience that you buy something thinking it will be be suited for specific lure just to find out that is not,. usually after the third time you get it right.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 am

I have a Daiwa Zillion SV TW ready to pair up with a new Megabass Destroyer Javelin for some long distance top water casting very soon. I think it's going to make an excellent long distance casting combo and will get to find out very soon :D
I'm not sure I'll get close to 100 yards though, even if I used super light braid :lol: I'll try out some 30lb. Samurai braid or new J-Braid x4 to start...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 am

I have a Tatula 7'2" glass rod with a zillion tws 6.3 with hedgehog air hd's and 40# j-braid that blasts those kinds of baits out there. No idea how far, but further than anything else I have. And since it's not too long, I can actually work the bait once it's out there. My absolute favorite is the smaller Evergreen SB. The 105, i think. I don't know. It sails into the next county, though, and the bass destroy it. Rarely any line management issues, either. I'm confident its bigger brother, the SB125 or whatever it is would spool that reel no problem.
This is the way.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:08 am

I am using NRX 894 + Daiwa PE Special 6.3 and casting 70 yards using Zerek Gecko, No problem at all.

WW

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm

You can duplicate this combo and achieve the distance you seek. Go to 4:50 and see how far he bombs that hollow body frog :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2qD3VNqrg4

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

Bootytrain wrote:You can duplicate this combo and achieve the distance you seek. Go to 4:50 and see how far he bombs that hollow body frog :lol:
:lol: that video was so funny. On another note, i need this reel for topwater!

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:15 am

Bootytrain wrote:You can duplicate this combo and achieve the distance you seek. Go to 4:50 and see how far he bombs that hollow body frog :lol:
I am now experiencing a sense of tackle discontentment.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 am

Hennessy wrote:
:lol: that video was so funny. On another note, i need this reel for topwater!
Yeah I love watching Takuma Hata fish, hes very enthusiastic and entertaining :lol:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:30 am

I am running an X4 711 with a Zillion and an HLC spool. It absolutely bombs 5" lunker punkers, bowsticks, buzzjets, etc...

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am

Thank you all for the suggestions. I tried this weekend my FX68 with the IS71 spool and 20lb Powerpro. Man, that combo casts well, matches the distance of the spinning combo. I paired it with my flipping stick F7-77 destroyer, not the best long distance caster due the fast action but still very impressed. I got fed up with the spinning combo getting wind knots, so I am glad I found a Baitcaster setup. I will still look for an over 7 rod, luckily you guys gave me lots of ideas.
Thanks again.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:59 pm

if you haven't got them already, the hedgehog ZR bearings are the truth for distance with lures 3/8oz+. (Rated down to 1/4oz but haven't tried it yet). Those suckers definitely add a few yards.
I don't know anything about the is71 spool, but 1016 spool may be an improvement?
And of course, if you can send your reel(s) to e_bassfisher for tuning, He can turn em into rocket launchers.

As for rods... I'd be looking at a lower modulous graphite, or something with a more moderate action. If you wanted to really go to lengths to eek out more distance you could have the guides replaced with torzite ones. I dunno how much distance you'll gain but they definitely cut down on friction substantially, even over SIC guides.