St. Croix joins the long rod bandwagon

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

St. Croix joins the long rod bandwagon

Post by pharmboy2010 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Well, I guess it's official that this is the next big thing in rods, since one of the big name, most reputable companies is on board.

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/st-croi ... er-classic

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St. Croix joins the long rod bandwagon

Post by Dug » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:09 pm

That's great news, though I wished they would have introduced these in some of the lesser priced models so I could try it out before the big investment. I guess their Wild River Rods are these and longer.

I wonder if which of these are the baitcasting models. I assume it's the six and not the two.

"New extra-long Legend Tournment Bass available in two spinning and six spinning models."

Dug

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Well, now.

These longer rods will definitely cast longer distances, no doubt about the physics and math here.

(The negative on casting is they'll be less accurate.)

But, to "increase leverage" is a whole different matter. A fishing rod isn't actually a lifting lever, at all. We are the "nut" and the fish is the "wrench" on the end of a long handle. A lifting lever implies gaining a positional advantage over an opposing weight or force. So, the farther away the fish is from our forward hand (the fulcrum) on the rod, and the farther away a rod's actual lifting point is (how and where it bends to shorten itself), the more we are disadvantaged.

(A parabolic rod shortens the length from the fulcrum to the lifting point more than a fast tip will, so it is actually more powerful.)

What would a perfect rod look like if it were developed for increased leverage over fish? A shovel: a long handle, a place to secure our rear hand, a place for our forward "lifting" hand to pull up on, and a short lever forward, the shovel blade. Would it be practical? No, and we don't need any additional help from leverage . . . so we give it away for other qualities and benefits.

More to follow. I am actually a St. Croix rod guy, so to speak. Almost all of my rods are made by them. I think I'll give them a call.

Yes, on the longer casting models; no, for powering fish out of mats.

Brad

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 am

I don't know where this long rod phenomenon is headed, nor do I know if I will participate; but it's going to be interesting. When I think about it, schooling bass busting the top come to mind. :D You known that any Pro will be bragging on them to support their sponsors, but where will they be in 3 years.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 am

Far as I figure, if such a setup was so beneficial, than many would already be using them. What a pro does or does not do in competition has little impact with regard to general angling masses. I can see the market, I can see the sales, but I also see it being quite limited. Just my thoughts... :whistle:
PEACE

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm

I read there is going to be at least one rod for punching/flipping. Don't remember the length.
Bass Pundit Blog

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Basspastor wrote:I read there is going to be at least one rod for punching/flipping. Don't remember the length.
Maybe the link in the first post. There are a couple.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Wait until St Croix gets inundated with warranty claims. I envision tons of rod tips being busted off in rod lockers, car doors, etc. Bet they'll rethink their strategy. And I seriously doubt they thoroughly field tested these rods before rolling them out. They seem more like what I'd use for muskie fishing and not bass fishing.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:26 pm

fishindad wrote:Wait until St Croix gets inundated with warranty claims. I envision tons of rod tips being busted off in rod lockers, car doors, etc. Bet they'll rethink their strategy. And I seriously doubt they thoroughly field tested these rods before rolling them out. They seem more like what I'd use for muskie fishing and not bass fishing.
I have never broken a tip on any of my 8-9' rods, amd I have owned a lot for quite some time. About half of which were actually made for bass or started out that way.
Seems to me it would be easier to break a tiny little rod than one that is large and by nature we are looking around before we weild.
More options are a good thing, especially with a company we know has excellent warranty policies.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:45 am

Soon will will have to fish from cargo ships to accommodate the giant rod lockers that will be needed.

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 am

Can't wait for the # of XD 10's that get imbedded in the co-angler due to the 9' cranking rod being swung back on the cast. I have an 8ft Phenix that I use for keitechs and chatterbaits. I love the extra length on the cast and feeling like I can reach any busting fish near my boat.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:22 am

ss30378 wrote:Soon will will have to fish from cargo ships to accommodate the giant rod lockers that will be needed.
Agreed. I have no idea why they couldn't have made them telescopic. Granted that's not in vogue any more but AFAIK, 8'6" is the max length of most rod lockers, including multispecies boats. Hey I love St Croix and hope these do well but just what is the limit for a reasonable cast? I fish Lake St Clair and believe me, that lake almost requires extra long casts. But I'll need to buy new reels with giant spools to handle making casts the length of a football field or two. I can just see it now - Guys will be throwing traps next to my boat from 100 yards away, claiming they weren't encroaching on my personal space, lol. Can't wait to see the first guy to say they won a tournament due to these extra long rods.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 am

We all knew this was coming when BASS approved rods up the 10' earlier this year. St Croix is just the first major maker to announce them. I would assume several others will be making announcements in the coming months.