Changing a 1 piece rod casting rod into a 2 pc.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Changing a 1 piece rod casting rod into a 2 pc.

Post by tditox4 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 am

Does anyone know of an individual or business who can take a 7'6" and longer 1 piece casting rod and make it a 2 piece rod , the 50/50 split type ? I am looking for a professional type job done , not one where you can see obviously that the rod was originally a one piecer.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Changing a 1 piece rod casting rod into a 2 pc.

Post by Slazmo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:27 am

I know how it has to be done but would like to follow this thread.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm curious to hear if anyone thinks this is possible in the way you have in mind. When you break a section of a multi-piece fly rod, you have to send the adjoining pieces so they can get the tolerances just right, even though the ferrule is designed into the mandrel. I've never heard of a way to add a ferrule that isn't a bulky mess...

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:07 pm

I am also interested in what is essentially making a custom made, one-off , seamless-ish ferrule (involving mandrel) situation ...without breaking the bank.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Take a piece of graphite that will fit inside both sections, glue it in the butt end, and basically make it a spigot ferrule. Both sides will need to be wrapped to keep the graphite from splitting / fraying. Depending on where the cut or break is located, you may have to remove and reposition the guides to avoid line slap. It might be hard to source the spigot. So yeah, it can be done. Finding someone to do it may be difficult.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:42 am

Try posting in Custom Rods in the Shop Talk section. Try search, I thing I've seem this posted before, but it's been awhile.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Bought an new model 8' heavy Fuego casting rod . Now just have to find someone to convert it into a 50/50 split 2 piece one. :-k

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 am

Mattman made a NRX SY822 into a 2 piece rod a few years back. Might be wrong on the model number, but it was definitely a NRX.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 am

Its just finding a mandrel that'll fit. Ive got a few heavier rods that are doner blanks but its making that first cut, measuring and cutting the new mandrel to suit, then shaping that to fit the top section to allow for wear and sliding down over time.

I have a custom rod builder mate however even he's not too keen to try it. May just give it a go on a XTR and be done with it.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Mattman made a NRX SY822 into a 2 piece rod a few years back. Might be wrong on the model number, but it was definitely a NRX.
Correct, it was an NRX. I don't recall the exact model however. I've done a number of factory rods and even more customs from 1-piece blanks.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:53 am

Slazmo wrote: I have a custom rod builder mate however even he's not too keen to try it.
Spigot ferrules are exceedingly difficult to get to work properly. Sleeve over ferrules are much easier to get to work and in my opinion, much more durable.

I once saw a rod building supply house going on about doing spigot ferrules on a rod building forum and I contacted them to get some material and they suddenly clammed up and didn't want to provide me with anything. If anything, that told me how successful that technique really is.

I did a big spinning stick meant for swimbaits for Cal and he told me a story of hooking up some big ocean fish and doubling the rod over all the way into the fore grip. The sleeve over ferrule took it like a champ. Its the only ferrule I'll mess with any more.
Matt Davis

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 am

Mattman wrote:
Slazmo wrote: I have a custom rod builder mate however even he's not too keen to try it.
Spigot ferrules are exceedingly difficult to get to work properly. Sleeve over ferrules are much easier to get to work and in my opinion, much more durable.

I once saw a rod building supply house going on about doing spigot ferrules on a rod building forum and I contacted them to get some material and they suddenly clammed up and didn't want to provide me with anything. If anything, that told me how successful that technique really is.

I did a big spinning stick meant for swimbaits for Cal and he told me a story of hooking up some big ocean fish and doubling the rod over all the way into the fore grip. The sleeve over ferrule took it like a champ. Its the only ferrule I'll mess with any more.

Mattman , can you please post a picture of what the ' sleeve over ferrule ' looks like. Is it a traditional North American type , 2 piece joint connection?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 am

tditox4 wrote:
Mattman , can you please post a picture of what the ' sleeve over ferrule ' looks like. Is it a traditional North American type , 2 piece joint connection?

Matt Davis