How straight are your G Loomis blanks?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How straight are your G Loomis blanks?

Post by Mike son » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 am

Just received my first NRX today. The cardboard tube was busted pretty good, about 3/4 of the way ripped off, about 2ft from the end near the tip. The rod is in one piece and doesn't appear to have any gashes in it but the blank is bent near the tip, it's not off by much but it is bothersome. I checked two other Loomis rods I have and both of them are not perfectly straight. The only other rod I have on hand from another manufacturer is straight as an arrow. Curious to hear what others thoughts are.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How straight are your G Loomis blanks?

Post by Cyacnba » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

I've only ordered an NRX 803C last year, and the blank was straight. However, I was pretty disappointed that at that price point, the guides were not straight/aligned and that some of them had too much epoxy as well. Make sure the guides are aligned just in case. I contacted G Loomis, and they fixed everything without charging me anything.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:43 am

Mike son wrote:Just received my first NRX today. The cardboard tube was busted pretty good, about 3/4 of the way ripped off, about 2ft from the end near the tip. The rod is in one piece and doesn't appear to have any gashes in it but the blank is bent near the tip...
I'm not sure from this part of your post if you understand, but there is no way possible that shipping abuse put a bend in your blank. Scratches , scrapes and the like, totally possible , but never a bend. Came from the factory like that.
All of my Loomis rods are straight.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:54 am

G Loomis isn't known for their QC regardless of price point unfortunately...

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 am

Mike and Pike wrote:
Mike son wrote:Just received my first NRX today. The cardboard tube was busted pretty good, about 3/4 of the way ripped off, about 2ft from the end near the tip. The rod is in one piece and doesn't appear to have any gashes in it but the blank is bent near the tip...
I'm not sure from this part of your post if you understand, but there is no way possible that shipping abuse put a bend in your blank. Scratches , scrapes and the like, totally possible , but never a bend. Came from the factory like that.
That's sort of the point I was getting at, I didn't think the bend in the blank could be caused by shipping especially because I see no visible damage to the blank itself. I contacted the seller who immediately contacted the UPS who will now come out and inspect the damage possibly later this afternoon.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 am

Mike son wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
That's sort of the point I was getting at, I didn't think the bend in the blank could be caused by shipping especially because I see no visible damage to the blank itself. I contacted the seller who immediately contacted the UPS who will now come out and inspect the damage possibly later this afternoon.
I would be interested in ;
1. What UPS says , as they did not cause the bend or any other damage, except to the shipping tube itself. And they may not understand that a bend is only accomplished at the factory.
2. Why the seller did not mention the obvious bend .
3. If the seller tries to push off a factory issue on UPS shipping.

Carbon does not bend and stay in that position. It returns to its original shape or shatters fairly catastrophically from being over flexed.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:19 am

The bend is annoying, and it shouldn't be there, but it's not from the damage to the tube in shipping. What I'd be concerned about is whether there was damage to the blank you can't see--the kind of thing that will eventually cause problems after the bank has been under load repeatedly. I've had rods break during casting of lures nearing their max weight that showed no signs of damage until it happened.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 am

Mike and Pike wrote: 1. What UPS says , as they did not cause the bend or any other damage, except to the shipping tube itself. And they may not understand that a bend is only accomplished at the factory.

Carbon does not bend and stay in that position. It returns to its original shape or shatters fairly catastrophically from being over flexed.
The tube and rod are now in possession of UPS, now it's a waiting game. I will update this thread with the outcome.
Randingo wrote:The bend is annoying, and it shouldn't be there, but it's not from the damage to the tube in shipping. What I'd be concerned about is whether there was damage to the blank you can't see--the kind of thing that will eventually cause problems after the bank has been under load repeatedly. I've had rods break during casting of lures nearing their max weight that showed no signs of damage until it happened.
I too am concerned about damage to the blank that wouldn't be visible. The tube was busted about 2ft from the end where the rod tip was. Without the support of the rod inside the tube, the end of the tube would hang at a very harsh angle, similar to an extreme high sticking. I'm thinking it was beat up pretty bad somewhere along the way and the tip was forced at a harsh angle several times during transport after and at the moment the tube itself was broken. Basically, the rod was supporting the tube from bending to near half at the break.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 am

Mike son wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote: 1. What UPS says , as they did not cause the bend or any other damage, except to the shipping tube itself. And they may not understand that a bend is only accomplished at the factory.

The tube and rod are now in possession of UPS, now it's a waiting game. I will update this thread with the outcome.
Randingo wrote:The bend is annoying, and it shouldn't be there, but it's not from the damage to the tube in shipping. What I'd be concerned about is whether there was damage to the blank you can't see--the kind of thing that will eventually cause problems after the bank has been under load repeatedly. I've had rods break during casting of lures nearing their max weight that showed no signs of damage until it happened.
I too am concerned about damage to the blank that wouldn't be visible. The tube was busted about 2ft from the end where the rod tip was. Without the support of the rod inside the tube, the end of the tube would hang at a very harsh angle, similar to an extreme high sticking. I'm thinking it was beat up pretty bad somewhere along the way and the tip was forced at a harsh angle several times during transport after and at the moment the tube itself was broken. Basically, the rod was supporting the tube from bending to near half at the break.
Regardless of any potential damage caused by UPS , the fact that the rod most certainly started it's journey to you bent tells me that the person sending you the rod is either not perceptible enough to notice a bend it to you seconds to notice or the person knew it was bent and did not mention this to you purposely . Either option would give me pause towards future business with the sender. That and the fact that if you want to send a $500+ rod everyone knows schedule 40 pvc is virtually indestructible.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:01 pm

If I order a rod and it's not straight, it goes back , pretty simple. Here recently , I will also so mention in the comments of the order to check for defects and straightness before it gets shipped.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 pm

I ordered a nrx 893 from TWH, and they sent me 3 replacements. Everytime, the rod was bent out of shape or the guides were disgustingly misaligned. I finally got one that was straight. Never settle for less, get what you pay for! :)

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:59 am

Mike son wrote:Just received my first NRX today. The cardboard tube was busted pretty good, about 3/4 of the way ripped off, about 2ft from the end near the tip. The rod is in one piece and doesn't appear to have any gashes in it but the blank is bent near the tip, it's not off by much but it is bothersome. I checked two other Loomis rods I have and both of them are not perfectly straight. The only other rod I have on hand from another manufacturer is straight as an arrow. Curious to hear what others thoughts are.
thats not a shipping issue thats a factory defect,not sure what UPS will do for you since the rod is not broken

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:42 am

did you buy them all from the same retailer?

send them back to loomis if you cannot return them. none of my 16 Loomis blanks are bent that i can see.

walleye962
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by walleye962 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I am done with G Loomis. Their quality control sucks!! Because the quality control is that bad, I might as well buy a cheap Chinese made rod. Why are we paying such a high premium for their rods, and with such poor quality control? How can some of these rods leave the factory that way? I posted a previous topic about the IMX walleye rod I just bought. The blank is acceptable, but the cork job is the worst I have ever seen. I have 40 year old rods with better cork than this new Loomis. The guide spacing is also awful. They are trying to save a buck and are putting less guides and the spacing is awful. Just wondering why a $300 Imx rod would only have alconite guides? I have a $150 fenwick elite tech that has alconite guides at half the cost and the over all quality is better. My son has a Fenwick Silver Hawk rod I bought at Cabelas for $69.99 on sale and has alconite guides. Just venting. I am going to send the rod back for a refund, and am done with G loomis. I will stick with St Croix and fenwick. I am thoroughly disappointed. I was so excited about getting the IMX and am beyond frustrated and disappointed. Live and Learn.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 am

walleye962 wrote:I am done with G Loomis. Their quality control sucks!! Because the quality control is that bad, I might as well buy a cheap Chinese made rod. Why are we paying such a high premium for their rods, and with such poor quality control? How can some of these rods leave the factory that way? I posted a previous topic about the IMX walleye rod I just bought. The blank is acceptable, but the cork job is the worst I have ever seen. I have 40 year old rods with better cork than this new Loomis. The guide spacing is also awful. They are trying to save a buck and are putting less guides and the spacing is awful. Just wondering why a $300 Imx rod would only have alconite guides? I have a $150 fenwick elite tech that has alconite guides at half the cost and the over all quality is better. My son has a Fenwick Silver Hawk rod I bought at Cabelas for $69.99 on sale and has alconite guides. Just venting. I am going to send the rod back for a refund, and am done with G loomis. I will stick with St Croix and fenwick. I am thoroughly disappointed. I was so excited about getting the IMX and am beyond frustrated and disappointed. Live and Learn.
that sucks. Post this post over on the shimano support forum and let Bantam know that it is unacceptable. They had enough problems with the NRX line when they first came out they should have learned their lesson.

that being said, I have bought two E6X rods in the last year and the quality of the build is perfect. as good as St. Croix's which I think sets the standard. but obviously, they are not all like that apparently.