Best Finesse spinning rod for under $200?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best Finesse spinning rod for under $200?

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 am

Hi Guys,

Looking for a finesse spinning rod to fish drop shot, shakey head, neko rig, weightless worms. I may also use it for small plastic swimbaits and light jerkbaits but these techniques would be secondary. Since these are mostly bottom contact techniques, sensitivity and balance is the most important quality I'm looking for. I don't have a reel for this planned set up yet either but was thinking about a stradic in the 2500 size.

I've done some browsing and some of the rods I'm considering are:

Megabass Levante (not sure which model would be better suited to these techniques - the stinger shot or the shakey head)
St. Croix Avid X (prob go 7' medium light)
Phenix M1 or Phenix Bass Recon Elite (prob go 6'9 light)

Another interesting option for half the cost is the 13 Fishing One3 Fate Black for $99. I'd go with the 6'10 medium light here.

Looking forward to getting some feedback on these or any other suggestions!

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Finesse spinning rod for under $200?

Post by Randingo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 am

In the Levante, I'd say you probably want the shakey head rod--I love the XX Stinger Shot, but it's really a dedicated dropshot rod with that tip. If you're ok with long rods, I'd take a look at the two MML rods in the Cronos lineup. I've only ever held the fast action, but I don't own it, nor have I fished it or its XF cousin. They also make a 7 foot ML. If you can't get your hands on these rods first, don't take my advice because I haven't fished them, but I know the series is excellent. Maybe someone who's actually fished these can comment more authoritatively. The St. Croix is a great rod. You should also look at the drop shot rod in that series since, unlike the MB Stinger Shot, it's a rod suited to many techniques.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:08 am

Don't overlook the Abu Villian 2.0. $200 retail and the blank is 40-ton graphite. Cal did a great review of the casting model. It earned a Best Value award.
http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillaincasting.html
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 am

I'm fishing out of a kayak so I don't want anything longer than 7 feet. I already have one avid (6'8 MXF baitcast) that I really like. The warranty on the avid is also a big plus. Not a flashy rod, but hard to go wrong there. With that said I am a Megabass fan and the "cool" factor of the levante is a big draw. I've heard people say the levante line lacks some sensitivity though so was hoping to get feedback one way or the other on that.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 am

My experience with the Levante is with the Spinnerbait Special, which I haven't used for bottom contact baits. It's plenty sensitive for spinnerbaits and 120+ size jerkbaits that I use it for. Sorry I can't say more...

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 am

Maybe this is too far under $200, but I just got a ONE3 Fate Chrome Spinning Rod 7'1" Med Lt and am very impressed. However, this is my first spinning rod for freshwater, although I have used several for inshore fishing. The cosmetics are very nice and it is very sensitive with the 1/8 oz weights I have used for drop shots.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

lostboy45b
Angler
Angler

Post by lostboy45b » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:53 am

I would look at the Dobyns SA 692SF it's a ML 6'9" rod so you shouldn't have problem kayak fishing with it. Look at the Dobyns warranty and the upgrade program they have also. For $159.99 you can't beat it.

nossuc242
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nossuc242 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 pm

I still fish my St Croix 6'8 M Extra Fast until this day, great rod for your for what you've mention. Not sure if the Avid X is the same though.

Some other suggestions, Zodias 7'0 ML or M, I use M as my main drop shot rod, balance right at the nut with a 6.7 oz Stradic CI4 and in my hands more sensitive than Avid.

Wait for the Tatula Signature Series, Cody Meyer 7'1 ML rod.

Triton Man
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Triton Man » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:40 pm

You may want to look at the 13 Envy spinning rods. Most of them are on sale now under $200 and sometimes much cheaper then that. I have a 7'1" M and a 7'1" MH and the medium could be a good fit for you. I admit I'm more of a power fisherman so my feel for rod sensitivity may not be as good as others when it comes to finesse fishing. I also have the Avid X in the 6'8" M XF and the 6'9" ML XF but have only had a since last fall. The ML would be another great choice for what you described and its been my finesse rod since I got it. I do think the Envy is a bit more sensitive although I haven't compared them directly yet. The recoil guides on the Envy may take more abuse since you'll be fishing from a kayak but I really prefer the Avid X due to the guides, grip comfort and a nice short butt section on the rod. The short butt section is another thing you may prefer when kayak fishing so you aren't constantly catching your shirt while working baits. I haven't fished any of the others you mentioned. Good luck.