Rod sensitivity subjective?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod sensitivity subjective?

Post by Obz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:08 pm

When someone wants to buy a high end rod usually the big question is well how sensitive is it compared to other high end rods. I find it extremely hard to believe that rod manufactures can't or haven't found a way to accurately measure rod sensitivity. My guess is they have and the results weren't marketable. Vibrations can be measured in hertz and there are all kinds of instruments expensive and inexpensive that are capable of detecting the frequency and amplitude of vibrations accurately. The next question is what frequencys and amplitudes are discernable to fishermen. Solution get a sample group. I'm kind of surprised/dissapointed TT hasn't tried to rig something in their lab. Yup, love you guys but gotta call you out.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod sensitivity subjective?

Post by KP Duty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Blank sensitivity is about as subjective as car engines were before the dyno; We simply had no way to measure them, regardless of what our hands told us. This is an entirely measurable stat.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Obz wrote:I'm kind of surprised/dissapointed TT hasn't tried to rig something in their lab.
Who says we haven't tried? Multiple times even.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Not to mention how blanks perform and behave from model to model within any particular line. This would be nearly impossible to tackle. You would need a very small sample group of rods, and some seriously decisive people to preform the tests. I could go on and on, but I'd rather just fish.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:27 am

Imo sensitivity varies to such an extent from person to person that it renders the difference between higher end rods almost moot. It only matters if you're dialed in.

I've fished on party boats where I'm having zero issues sounding bottom and catching fish with 1/2 oz jigs...and the guy next to me is complaining that he can't feel bottom with an 8 ounce sinker. A nrx isn't going to help that guy by much!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 am

Cal wrote:
Obz wrote:I'm kind of surprised/dissapointed TT hasn't tried to rig something in their lab.
Who says we haven't tried? Multiple times even.
What did you try, what were the challenges? Is there a link to an article "hey we tried to put a number on this whole sensitivity thing, here's what went down"

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:47 am

I believe detecting a bite, weather it's the absence of contact with the bottom or a weed or something different from rest of the cast is a skill maybe intuition. But there is no way human to human our ability to feel a transmitted vibration is all that different.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 am

KP Duty wrote:Blank sensitivity is about as subjective as car engines were before the dyno; We simply had no way to measure them, regardless of what our hands told us. This is an entirely measurable stat.
You can buy a Fluke. It will measure amplitude and frequency of a vibration. Fluke = Dyno.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:04 am

I'm not trying to be a jerk, it just doesn't add up to me. We have the ability to send a vibration through a rod and measure it. That is a fact. It would really surprise me if humans ability to sense a vibration varied all that much. Even if it does, you would the rod that transmits the best signal so you have the best advantage no matter your ability. That's why people buy $700 rods.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:06 am

I probably should have said strongest signal

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 am

Why are you so worried about it, I've never come home after a day on the water and thought about the fish I may
have missed - the only thought was of how fortunate I am to get a great opportunity to be on the water. =D> All
graphite/ carbon rods are sensitive enough to catch fish, just find the one you like best and have at it.

Court
Angler
Angler

Post by Court » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 am

I like the subject of this post. I think most who visit this forum are fans of higher end equipment, so it is a good topic. I do believe that the fishermen must be tuned in or sensitivity is a moot point. Case in point that I'm thinking of, Texas rig with tungsten and flouro in the day time, then do the same at night when you can't see anything, my sensory level seems to be enhanced with the same set up.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 am

It's an interesting topic indeed. Although there are probably measurable outcomes to help determine how sensitive a rod can or could be, I still believe it is highly subjective. And honestly how much of a difference would you see in those numbers @ a $700 price point? I'm not sure.

Say you had 10 guys who tested sensitivity with the same line, lure, knot, and reel with rods like an NRX, X7, Steez RD, Ultima, Kaleido, Luxxe Oltre, etc...how many would rate them in the same order? The human factor is always going to be there with things like brand loyalty and muscle memory too. Would someone who has fished NRXs for 10 years be able to find an unfamiliar rod more sensitive? I'm not sure.

On top of line, lure, application, knot, reel...there is blank composition, guide type, guide placement, reel seat, weight, balance, length, action and handle material to consider also. There are so many different factors to the sensitivity of a rod and the sensitivity I feel in "my hands" all the way down to the calyces I have to how I palm the reel. Some of the best fisherman in the world use $150 rods...can they discern a bite and what their lure is doing with all of that skill/time on the water better than me with my $700 rod...quite possibly.

Like I said...interesting topic as always. It makes you wonder if there's a legitimate reason why no measurable numbers are advertised. Maybe those measurables are always inconclusive or maybe they don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Like papa said there are just too many variables.

How you hold the rod and what part of your hand is most sensitive plays a huge part.
Balance plays a huge part as well. Clamping the rod and measuring the vibrations transferred would take balance out.
Also people feel different frequencies differently and every rod will have a few resonance frequencies that really amplify. If they match your techniques or nerves it will feel like magic.

DaveJ

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm

It's such a grey subject and I feel like the technology is there for it not to be. It's a question everyone asks themselves, friends, and other forum members. I think the whole "everyone is different" position is a bit timid for a site and forum that is packed words like :evil: :evil: ENTHUSIAST and INNOVATION :evil: :evil: Haha sorry had to, doesn't seem like I'm going to get much support on this one. Something to chew on anyway