NRX 893- just amazed the longer I own it

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

NRX 893- just amazed the longer I own it

Post by DavidSA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 am

The longer I own this rod, the more I learn about its capability. I'm at the point now of thinking it more versatile then my old school MBR 843 GLX. I've been slow rolling finesse swim baits this week and this rod seems almost optimal.

What have you found this rod is near best in class for? I have it as near best in class for

- finesse jigs
- Senko up to 5inch
- small swimbaits
- TRigs up to 1/2oz
- buzzbaits
- and does quite well, maybe best with a chatterbait.

I want to try soft jerkbaits on this rod. I think with the Met MGL and light line I can cast even this a mile.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX 893- just amazed the longer I own it

Post by Quillback » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 am

A great rod for sure, I have 2 of them. Pretty much use them for light jigs and t-rigs.

tohatsu30
Angler
Angler

Post by tohatsu30 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

The 893 is a good rod for sure. It does have its drawbacks though.
For a supposed XF rod, it is way too slow thru the mid section. I've missed
a number of fish because the rod is still flexing when it should be
getting into the backbone.Reminds me of a fast crank bait rod.
For me, it serves the purpose for 1/4 & 5/16 soft plastics. I believe
the 873crr is a better constructed rod.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Whenever, if ever the NRX gets a makeover, this is the model I want.. [-o<

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:12 pm

tohatsu30 wrote:The 893 is a good rod for sure. It does have its drawbacks though.
I've not missed any fish related to the action but it certainly has a different action to it. The amount the rod bends has the affect of protecting lighter line even though in theory the rod is xf. In terms of tip action and bend when fully under big load, the rod is most like an old MBR 843 glx.

If I'm pitching to cover where I need to move the fish without hesitation, I will have the 894 in hand even if I'm pitching a 5/16 total weight rig.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 pm

David, agree 100%. Back in the day, my 1st high end rod was a glx 803. That stick blew me away..but after reading all the reviews on the 893, I had to try it. Was my 1st nrx and just wow. Never looked back. The lake I mostly fish is gin clear most of the year. Rocky bottom with defined weed lines. My first bait of choice is a coffee tube, t-rigged 1/8 oz tung bullet. Work it s l o w l y on the bottom. The nrx is so sensitive, while I'm reeling in I can close my eyes and literally read the bottom by feel. Paired with a steez and a quality fluor, heaven. Crankin' can be a gas...but using a nrx 893 helps define the "art" of fishing. I've acquired several megabass rods and I'll have to admit, those girls sure are pretty....but it just seems everything is measured against the nrx and the 893 is the one I'll take home. My 2 cents.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:21 pm

sorry...double post.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:37 am

The BCR 803glx and 803NRX where my staple plastics rods for many years then I started fishing florida most of the time and found the 894. After that, I never wanted to pick up a plastics rod less then 89 inches. So I sold my 803's and picked up the 893. I think it every bit the rod the 803 GLX was in sensitivity and more.

Ifish585
Angler
Angler

Post by Ifish585 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Finally pull the trigger on one can't wait to use it :big grin:

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:49 am

I don't own 2 rods of the same but if I did, it'd be another 893. Late last year I found it good for 1/8 4.8 jackall rhythm swimbaits. Between 5in senkos And 1/4 zoom old monsters, this rod caught me more 5lbers than all my other rods combined last year. I was using the steez sv 8.1:1 but today I decided to fish it with the met mgl xg. Needless to say the steez sv won't be going back on there. The met mgl didn't look as ugly as I thought on the green nrx

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:36 am

My 893c is one of my favourite rods as well. I moved the Met DC off of it late last fall and put an Aldebaran on it. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. But don't get me wrong, my 843c MBR is nipping at its heels
Toronto, Ont.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Bubbleboy wrote:My 893c is one of my favourite rods as well. I moved the Met DC off of it late last fall and put an Aldebaran on it. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. But don't get me wrong, my 843c MBR is nipping at its heels
I'm guessing you're referring to the '15 alde? So what did you mainly like it better than the DC?

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32 am

Bubbleboy wrote:My 893c is one of my favourite rods as well. I moved the Met DC off of it late last fall and put an Aldebaran on it. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. But don't get me wrong, my 843c MBR is nipping at its heels
what do think of 893 vs 843? I am still deciding on getting 893 and do own 843.

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 am

Hennessy wrote:
I'm guessing you're referring to the '15 alde? So what did you mainly like it better than the DC?
Correct, a '15 Alde. One, I didn't like the whine of the DC. Two, the Alde sits much lower on the rod making it much more palmable. Three, the weight difference between the two balances the rod out considerably.

PBP wrote:
what do think of 893 vs 843? I am still deciding on getting 893 and do own 843.
I like the whip in the rod that an 893 has, it casts much better than something like an 852. Although classified as a XF, it feels more like a Fast. With the Alde on it, you forget you're using a 7'5" after a while, it feels shorter. Just a fantastic rod
Toronto, Ont.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 am

tohatsu30 wrote:The 893 is a good rod for sure. It does have its drawbacks though.
Thats because the rod doesnt have much backbone. XF rods get to the backbone quickly as the tip is very stiff. Look at the MB stinger tips rods, it's a love hate with them due to their solid XF tip. Some guys like it, others hate it because it seems like its a weaker power when in actuality the tip is loading into the backbone of the blank quicker. I didnt care for this with the 893 and found myself bottoming it out too quick around cover. The weight range is extremely accurate and IMO is closer to an average M power rod with a fast tip. I compared the 893c with the XX EMTF and the X7 EM and eventually sold the 893c replacing it with the X7. The X7 is more moderate, but has more backbone to it. The XX is faster than the X7, but slower than the 893c, and IMO has more backbone than either. That being said, in the heat of the moment I boat flipped a 5lb largemouth with the X7 and it handled it like a champ. Sensitivity wise the X7 and 893c of course top the XX, but I couldnt tell you which of those two are actually more sensitive as both are supreme. I didnt feel like I lost anything when moving from the 893c to the X7. The softer overall action of the 893c paired with that fast tip make it an excellent skipping rod though.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm