Topwater Rod Comparison

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Topwater Rod Comparison

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:14 am

I have been searching for a rod for a while to be a multipurpose topwater setup. After reading I realize many people use all kinds of powers and tapers for this technique. I am ordering a Lew's Custom Speed Stick 6'8"ML fast Topwater Special, but mainly using it on an SS/SV w/ 12F for finesse, because I just like the action for jerkbaits and small swimbaits, etc. (finesse). I will give it a shot with one of my baitcasters with braid for topwater, but being a ML (1/8-1/2) I am sure it will be overloaded by 5/8+ topwaters... So I have been looking at a few others... A Denali Kovert Lite 6'9" MH modfast Spinnerbait (5/16-1), a cheaper Abu Veritas 6'6" M (1/4-5/8), a TFO GTS 6'9" M (1/4-3/4), or if it does work, another 6'8" Lew's.

Is there anything else I might be missing or suggestions anyone has for a 30Braid, semi-finesse, topwater rod??? Reel going on it will probably be a Curado 70, ready to try one...

Also I have tried a 7' Medium moderate for the technique and it just was too limber for me...

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Topwater Rod Comparison

Post by spookybaits » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:30 am

What's your budget?

The 684 is a dandy topwater rod. (685 if you want a stouter rod dedicated to 3/8-1oz). Also doubles as an excellent jerkbait & closer quarters shallow crank rod. If I was shopping for a topwater rod... That 684 would be in my top 5 choices, regardless of price. I've owned the 704 & 705 models for many years and know them well.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_C ... e-XCC.html

If you get a topwater rod that's built right, you can overload them on the cast. They won't be overloaded during fishing. It's gotta be lower density graphite with a slow middle section.
The ones I use are rated 1/8-3/8oz and I've used them for 1/2-1oz baits for over 20 years without an issue. They're also my farthest casting rods.

(Those dobyns are a tad faster further down and flex on the cast a couple inches further towards the tip than I prefer, but I'm meticulous about topwater stuff & few would ever even notice something like that. I still consider it one of the better rods for it on the market today).

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:30 am

Thank you, my budget is generally from $120-$200, I can change it either way though, just depends. I do not fish topwater much though, so I do not want to spend a massive amount (unless I can find use in it as a multipurpose setup).

The smallest baits I plan to use would be (topwater category): 1/4 poppers, largest: 1oz walkers. The average will be 3/8-5/8 of the aforementioned style lures.

lostboy45b
Angler
Angler

Post by lostboy45b » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 am

I have to agree with spooky baits. Dobyns all the way. You could run the Sierra, Fury or "Dobyns has a new line coming out very soon if you can wait. I run both of these series and not had a bit of trouble.