First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Cristo wrote:ASL Rod or javelin????
Javelin \:D/

I’ll post my thoughts to add to the fray once I get a trip or two into it.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:59 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:
Javelin \:D/

I’ll post my thoughts to add to the fray once I get a trip or two into it.
I look forward to hearing your impressions. I know it just arrived, but I share in your excitement over this one, the Javelin is on deck with me at all times now :big grin:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 pm

bronzefly wrote:
I look forward to hearing your impressions. I know it just arrived, but I share in your excitement over this one, the Javelin is on deck with me at all times now :big grin:

Got out with the Javelin for a few hours yesterday, and now I know why people are so into this and I presume the Nautilus (never had one of those)! It's a pleasure to cast. It flexes deep if needed but doesn't lack power or sensitivity. And for a 7'5" rod it is light and well balanced, to be sure. I put a Tatula SV on it with 30lb Sunline SX1.

First lure I tied on was a 1.25oz 6" Magdraft swimbait. The Javelin absolutely launched that thing! I wanted to test the upper range and beyond of the stated ratings, since a few previous replies in this thread had mentioned doing so. It handled that weight just fine, but not sure I'd go much beyond that. The fish were cooperative, but not with the Magdraft. Once I discovered the fish wanted a t-rigged soft plastic craw or creature, I rigged up with a 3/16oz tungsten and Z craw jr. I had a 1/4oz tungsten and Z hog tied on the FMJ and had caught a couple throwing to isolated combinations of wood and vegetation or grass in about 8-10 foot of water. The Javelin handled that just fine. Not heavy cover by any means, but moderate cover I'd say.

I need more time with it, but I'd say it can do just about anything you'd want except heavy cover stuff. It's only slightly less sensitive in my hands than the FMJ, which is astounding, so that is actually pretty dang good. Next time, I'll try light and heavy topwaters and a squarebill, but I'd be surprised if I'm left feeling less than impressed.

And thanks again to Gary and the Trap!!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Right on man!! Sounds like a pretty bad arse rod probably have to find its way into my stable......

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:04 am

Maybe someone could help me out with this-

I have the NRX 852 spinning, I want the addermine spinning rod but wonder how much different the two blanks are..

there both Medium action but am looking for a ML, out of the two what blank is the lighter/softer action rod?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 am

I happen to have both the NRX852S and the new addermine. Doing some floor bend tests, the addermine seems slightly less powerful and has a little slower taper. They are fairly close in power/taper but from what I can see the addermine is slightly less powerful. So far I have nothing but good things to say about the addermine, it's a sweet rod.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:45 am

jpmoney wrote:I happen to have both the NRX852S and the new addermine. Doing some floor bend tests, the addermine seems slightly less powerful and has a little slower taper. They are fairly close in power/taper but from what I can see the addermine is slightly less powerful. So far I have nothing but good things to say about the addermine, it's a sweet rod.

Perfect, that is exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 pm

jpmoney wrote:I happen to have both the NRX852S and the new addermine. Doing some floor bend tests, the addermine seems slightly less powerful and has a little slower taper. They are fairly close in power/taper but from what I can see the addermine is slightly less powerful. So far I have nothing but good things to say about the addermine, it's a sweet rod.
Would you consider the addermine more of a ML?
I'm just going off of lure ratings right now between rod companies (some have the exact lure weight ratings for Medium and ML)
How is the sensativity compared to the NRX? I know its subjective but how is it to you?

Sorry for all the question lately TT....

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 pm

I have both the NRX 852s and the MB Addy. The NRX has a slight edge in sensitivity. I would rate the Addy in between an ML and an M. Make sense? :lol:

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Ham Solo wrote:I have both the NRX 852s and the MB Addy. The NRX has a slight edge in sensitivity. I would rate the Addy in between an ML and an M. Make sense? :lol:
I second this ^

I am currently using braid on the addermine setup so to me the sensitivity difference in my hands is unnoticeable. One thing that the addermine has over the NRX is ergonomics: To me, a rod that feels good in the hand just performs better overall and enhances the fishing experience. Sensitivity is one part of the performance equation and while the NRX may offer slightly more feel, the trade off is a less comfortable and more awkward grip setup. To me, the addermine just feels much better in hand and ultimately translates into greater satisfaction while fishing. While i still enjoy the NRX, it just doesn't do it for me like the addermine does.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Perfect, exactly what I needed to hear.

Thanks, you guys are awesome...

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 am

jpmoney wrote:
Ham Solo wrote:I have both the NRX 852s and the MB Addy. The NRX has a slight edge in sensitivity. I would rate the Addy in between an ML and an M. Make sense? :lol:
I second this ^

I am currently using braid on the addermine setup so to me the sensitivity difference in my hands is unnoticeable. One thing that the addermine has over the NRX is ergonomics: To me, a rod that feels good in the hand just performs better overall and enhances the fishing experience. Sensitivity is one part of the performance equation and while the NRX may offer slightly more feel, the trade off is a less comfortable and more awkward grip setup. To me, the addermine just feels much better in hand and ultimately translates into greater satisfaction while fishing. While i still enjoy the NRX, it just doesn't do it for me like the addermine does.
While I've never had the pleasure of owning or fishing an NRX I could not agree more about the ergonomics, feel, balance, and weight of the Addermine. It is just pure joy to hold and fish with, especially when compared to some other less balanced spinning rods in my rack. MB hit a home run in my book with this one.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:28 am

jpmoney wrote:Doing some floor bend tests, the addermine seems slightly less powerful and has a little slower taper. They are fairly close in power/taper but from what I can see the addermine is slightly less powerful.
Hello, would you say the Addermine has a true extra-fast action, despite being a little slower than NRX? Thanks!

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm

cumara wrote:
jpmoney wrote:Doing some floor bend tests, the addermine seems slightly less powerful and has a little slower taper. They are fairly close in power/taper but from what I can see the addermine is slightly less powerful.
Hello, would you say the Addermine has a true extra-fast action, despite being a little slower than NRX? Thanks!
It's a tad slower then my St Croix Legend Xtreme M/XF spinning rod, but faster then my St Croix Avid M/F spinning rod. I love the taper and how it transitions into the power. Lets a fish take ur bait and surge on light line but then gets into the perfect power to control the fish on light line.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:11 pm

cumara wrote:
I would say it's more of a fast action than x-fast.