First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 am

alexandboi wrote:How similar to the nautilus is the javelin? Is it as versatile? My Nautilus snapped in half today, and if I cannot find a used nautilus soon I may have to pick up a Javelin to replace it...
Nautilus down, no!!! :crying: That's painful to say the least. Fortunately, the Javelin will make you smile if you love the Nautilus. I spent a good bit of time "junk fishing" with the Javelin this weekend, and have been fishing it a lot since I got it. It's very reminiscent of the legendary Nautilus, but the shorter handle is more comfortable for all but those long cast open water presentations. Hungry Cow has some good insights as well, I find the power differential less noticeable than he does however, perhaps 1/4 power at most on the Javelin.

My best recommendation is to pick up the Javelin at The Tackle Trap if you loved the Nautilus - and any of you guys who missed out on the Nautilus, get one of these, you'll love it. It's light, sensitive, and highly versatile, phenomenal rod and the write up Tackle Tour did notated that this rod has the special "it" factor you'll notice as soon as you pick it up...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

ckam
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ckam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:36 am

Lost my brand new Javelin and Megabass IS 79 combo on my second fishing trip at a choppy day. :-k Not even have a chance to find out the best lure for this rod. What a bad fishing day.

alexandboi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alexandboi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 pm

hungry_cow wrote:To me it seems to have the same action just in a 1/4 to 1/2 power heavier model. The tip doesn't load up quite as easily on the lighter end like the Nautilus does but handles the heaver end with a bit more ease. Very similar though, I would say not quite as good for the lowest range of what you would throw on the Nautilus but a little better for the higher end you would throw on the Nautilus and it feels about the same for most of its range.

I slightly prefer the Nautilus in the 1/4 to 3/8 oz range and slightly prefer the Javelin in the 3/4 to 1.5 oz range. Everything in between 3/8 and 3/4 oz is about equal for me. Of course that is personal preference.

I don't feel you are going down in rod quality, to me the Nautilus is slightly more "special" with a tiny bit more "it" just feeling slightly more electric in hand but I think that is just due to it being a slightly lighter power and that I personally prefer a little lighter power rod than most for any given technique. If you like a little heavier powered rod you might very well feel the Javelin is more "special" with more "it"
Thanks, much appreciated. I would really like a another nautilus, but I guess a javelin might be a pretty good replacement for me then. I didn't really use the nautilus for lures on the lower weight range anyways.

alexandboi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alexandboi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 pm

bronzefly wrote:
alexandboi wrote:How similar to the nautilus is the javelin? Is it as versatile? My Nautilus snapped in half today, and if I cannot find a used nautilus soon I may have to pick up a Javelin to replace it...
Nautilus down, no!!! :crying: That's painful to say the least. Fortunately, the Javelin will make you smile if you love the Nautilus. I spent a good bit of time "junk fishing" with the Javelin this weekend, and have been fishing it a lot since I got it. It's very reminiscent of the legendary Nautilus, but the shorter handle is more comfortable for all but those long cast open water presentations. Hungry Cow has some good insights as well, I find the power differential less noticeable than he does however, perhaps 1/4 power at most on the Javelin.

My best recommendation is to pick up the Javelin at The Tackle Trap if you loved the Nautilus - and any of you guys who missed out on the Nautilus, get one of these, you'll love it. It's light, sensitive, and highly versatile, phenomenal rod and the write up Tackle Tour did notated that this rod has the special "it" factor you'll notice as soon as you pick it up...
Tell me about it. I almost cried, and wanted to throw up when I heard the SNAP! haha. The nautilus was one of my favorite rods. But thanks Gary, if I can't find a used nautilus, I will definitely be picking up a javelin.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Crazy I broke my nautilus also this last weekend right in the heart of the taper on a hook set of a 6+ bass. Was the craziest thing saw the fish take the senko I hit em and wham second nautilus that I've broken with a fish on. Tried to fight her but had too much line out and lost it. Last one broke while fighting a 2 lber in deeper water and the shaft just gave out right after 3rd guide. I loved the rod, but I swear they're defective and won't buy another even if I come across one. Just bought a javelin to replace it hoping for better luck also the better warranty. So far I can't put the Valdivia down love the war hammer, and I know the javelin will be awesome as well overall great series of rods.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 pm

More praise for the FMJ. It's so sensitive for bottom contact that I've found myself setting the hook on random bumps and knocks when fishing a zoom craw on a swing head. When a fish would hit, I could feel the subtlest tap.

Definitely need another one of these new Destroyers!!

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:01 pm

What is the max weight I could throw on the javelin for a top water bait. Could it handle a mini MS slammer at an 1 1/4 oz? If not is there another megabass I should look at.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 am

poot04 wrote:What is the max weight I could throw on the javelin for a top water bait. Could it handle a mini MS slammer at an 1 1/4 oz? If not is there another megabass I should look at.
I've thrown a Deps Buzzjet at a shade over 1 oz. on the Javelin and it handles it just fine, you shouldn't have any issues with the mini Slammer either. The Javelin is proving to be one of my favorite new rods, it's just so incredibly versatile and is a blast to fish. They're in stock at The Tackle Trap!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:29 am

I was throwing a KVD 8.0 crankbait that is 1 1/8 oz the other night on the Javelin and it handled it perfectly. I have also thrown a whopper plopper 130 that is 1 3/8 oz and it did a good job. That does seem to be about the top of its range though, it would feel overloaded to go much heavier than that.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 am

Dang, you guys got me thinking about a javelin now. Think it could handle 1-1 3/8oz swimbaits and paddletails?

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 am

Now my other question is with a rod as versatile as the javelin do you switch reels for technique or do you use an all around gear ratio like 6:3 to 1 to go from bottom contact to topwater to cranking? Thanks for everyone's help and input. I'm learning on the fly!

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

So, what all does the Javelin do well outside of large trebled baits?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 am

Inquiring minds want to know TT. let's try to help these boys spend their chedda :big grin: I would help but I do not have any experience with the 17 destroyers.It may be awhile too ad I have made a blockbuster move in order to procure an arms supper leggera ;)

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 am

Mine arrives tomorrow :doh: 8-)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

ASL Rod or javelin????