First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Post by manmachine83 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:17 am

MediumHeavy wrote:
manmachine83 wrote:Question for XX and Destroyer FMJ owners - I currently own both the XX tour versatile and XX perfect pitch.
I'm wondering if the FMJ can take the place of either or both of these rods, power and action wise?
Or do the TV and PP still have a spot in your arsenals?
I was using the TV and PP for frogs and jigs.
I have the XX PP and the Destroyer FMJ and both have a place. They both have power to spare, but vastly different tapers. Both can handle many of the same techniques, but the PP is probably slightly more versatile overall. The FMJ, however, is a lot more sensitive for bottom contact presentations. I'm very impressed with it in that area, but it can do other things if you want it to.
What else are you using your PP for?
I have a hard time seeing it as anything other than a jig or frog rod.
The taper is quite fast for a Megabass imo.
Haven't held an FMj so is it faster or slower than your PP?

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 am

manmachine83 wrote: What else are you using your PP for?
For the way I fish, the PP does everything: jigs, Texas rigs, 5" magdrafts and spark shads, big topwaters like Dog-X Diamante and Buzzjet, and some smaller hard swimbaits.

The taper of the FMJ is hard to describe. It's a stout rod even through to the very tip, more so than the PP, but has a more even curve the way it flexes. The PP has a soft tip and has a clearer point to where it shuts off and the power begins. The FMJ is more gradual. The PP is only slightly more powerful and versatile, but the FMJ is a lot more sensitive. It's the only Destroyer USA I've got thus far, but I'm hoping the rest of the lineup has these unique characteristics. I'll post some very unscientific pics of the way each flexes. They look similar but feel very different. Hope this helps!

IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG (52.84 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG (53.27 KiB) Viewed 7732 times

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Fellas of the USA Destroyers which rod is best for weightless 5" senkos? I'm thinking the Daemos from looking at the specs?

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Fellas of the USA Destroyers which rod is best for weightless 5" senkos? I'm thinking the Daemos from looking at the specs?
BEST, nrx893 :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:42 am

Bass1980 wrote:Fellas of the USA Destroyers which rod is best for weightless 5" senkos? I'm thinking the Daemos from looking at the specs?
The Javelin is very capable as a 5" Senko rod too. The Daemos is a good choice too, both rods are very versatile.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:13 am

I obtained a Javelin via trade and got to use it for a day and break it in with some nice bass, lost a 5 pound fry guarder at the boat!

First impressions are it is really close to being a clone of the Nautilus power and action wise. Maybe the Nautilus has a tiny bit softer tip? It is so close I would have to fish more than one outing to really tell the difference. It feels like a nautilus watered down maybe 5%. The Nautilus has a little nicer detailing and is maybe a tad more sensitive but they are really close. There is a bigger difference in ergonomics than performance.

Basically the Javelin shortened an inch off the handle of the Nautilus which is a good thing because the handle of the Nautilus is so long it catches your arm when pitching or twitching baits, this is not an issue with the Javelin. Also the reel seet and foregrip is not quite as skeleton style as the Nautilus. The Nautilus for me fit perfect with the Steez / IS platform but didn't quite fit the TDZ platform. The Javelin feels perfect with the TDZ frame but not as good with the Steez / IS platform.

All in all it is pretty close to a Nautilus clone with very similar performance but to me the Nautilus feels a little more "agile" and the Javelin feels a little more comfortable ergonomics wise. Great rod!

manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Post by manmachine83 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:25 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:
manmachine83 wrote: What else are you using your PP for?
For the way I fish, the PP does everything: jigs, Texas rigs, 5" magdrafts and spark shads, big topwaters like Dog-X Diamante and Buzzjet, and some smaller hard swimbaits.

The taper of the FMJ is hard to describe. It's a stout rod even through to the very tip, more so than the PP, but has a more even curve the way it flexes. The PP has a soft tip and has a clearer point to where it shuts off and the power begins. The FMJ is more gradual. The PP is only slightly more powerful and versatile, but the FMJ is a lot more sensitive. It's the only Destroyer USA I've got thus far, but I'm hoping the rest of the lineup has these unique characteristics. I'll post some very unscientific pics of the way each flexes. They look similar but feel very different. Hope this helps!

IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
That is great info. Thanks for the pics. It's interesting that the PP has a slower taper than the fmj. I was thinking it would be the opposite.
I tried the fmj vs TV in store and the FMJ definitely bends further into the blank. I'm lost as to what to do now. Kind of wanted to sell one of the Pp or Tv to fund the FMJ. I'll need one of them frogging and the other would be pitching but after handling I'm not sure the FMJ is strong enough for denser weed cover pitching.
My feeling so far after handling the valdiva and fmj is that the usdm destroyers have slightly less power compared to the Xx line. Can anyone confirm or deny my sentiments?
I also have the javelin and it feels similar to the emtf but a tad faster and stronger. I also have an X7 DFM that feels very similar to the Daemos. Was thinking of adding the Daemos but now I don't think i need to.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 am

hungry_cow wrote:I obtained a Javelin via trade and got to use it for a day and break it in with some nice bass, lost a 5 pound fry guarder at the boat!

First impressions are it is really close to being a clone of the Nautilus power and action wise. Maybe the Nautilus has a tiny bit softer tip? It is so close I would have to fish more than one outing to really tell the difference. It feels like a nautilus watered down maybe 5%. The Nautilus has a little nicer detailing and is maybe a tad more sensitive but they are really close. There is a bigger difference in ergonomics than performance.

Basically the Javelin shortened an inch off the handle of the Nautilus which is a good thing because the handle of the Nautilus is so long it catches your arm when pitching or twitching baits, this is not an issue with the Javelin. Also the reel seet and foregrip is not quite as skeleton style as the Nautilus. The Nautilus for me fit perfect with the Steez / IS platform but didn't quite fit the TDZ platform. The Javelin feels perfect with the TDZ frame but not as good with the Steez / IS platform.

All in all it is pretty close to a Nautilus clone with very similar performance but to me the Nautilus feels a little more "agile" and the Javelin feels a little more comfortable ergonomics wise. Great rod!
Bold statements! Says a lot for the Destroyer series, thanks for sharing.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:56 am

I have a little more time with the Javelin now and would say my first impression was pretty much accurate although I would say the Javelin feels about a half power heavier. I would say it is basically a slightly more powerful Nautilus. That is also why it feels slightly heavier and less agile because it is a little more powerful rod with basically the same taper. The Nautilus is a little better in the 1/4 to 3/8 oz range and the Javelin feels a little better in the 1/2 to 1 oz range. But I don't feel I am going down in rod quality when I go to the Javelin, the sensitivity is close enough I don't notice a difference. Just imagine a 1/2 power heavier Nautilus with a little less skeleton reel seat.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I lost a would have been PB on a 1/2oz topwater the other day. he dove under a log and broke me off. Drag was too loose but I also wanted to grab a heavier rod/line after drying the tears.

I didnt think the FMJ would cast the 1/2oz bait as well as the XX FSS i had been using but it was loading up and launching the bait further than I was with the FSS. I was using 16# FC (09' Aldebaran) on the FMJ and 12# Mono (Core) on the FSS. The FMJ seems like it has some versatility. Unfortunately I did not get to test how well it kept treble fish pinned.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:12 pm

It hasn't gotten much attention here yet, but the Addermine is one sweet little finesse rod. Just got it this week courtesy of my wife and the fine crew at The Tackle Trap. I'm down right amazed at the rod, light as a feather and just perfectly balanced, ergonomics of the reel seat and handle are great. The reel seat and locking nut design are pretty awesome functionally and look sexy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much it can do but I love the taper so far. It may be even more beautiful then the FMJ just beacause it looks so deceivingly delicate but posses surprising power. Landed about a two pounder on a drop shot 5" senko and had to deadlift the fish several feet to the bank, no sweat.

:D :D :D

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Any word whether these rods will be continuous or limited production run?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 am

JigginOG wrote:Any word whether these rods will be continuous or limited production run?
They will be produced for several years, they are not a limited production run model.

I'm glad to hear all the positive reviews of these rods guys! I've been fishing mine a lot more since getting them and again, as a long time Megabass rod user, I'm very pleased with these all the way around, they are 100% what I expect from a high end Megabass rod.

Kevin - that Addermine is overlooked and under discussed, I agree. It's a phenomenal "all around" spinning rod for someone who really wants to have a highly versatile, very light, and very sensitive spinning rod. I'm glad you like it.

The Javelin is the newest incarnate of the Nautilus indeed. They're similar in so many regards that guys who missed out on the Nautilus will be very happy to get a Javelin in the line up.

The Tackle Trap has them all in stock except the FMJ which is on back order until sometime in July OR August. If you guys want to get in line on the FMJ and get one as soon as they show, let me know, I have a list going already for this awesome rod. The Valdiva isn't far behind in terms of availability, and will be backordered fairly soon, so grab that one while you can!

Megabass USA 2017 Destroyers
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

alexandboi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alexandboi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:24 pm

bronzefly wrote:
JigginOG wrote:Any word whether these rods will be continuous or limited production run?
They will be produced for several years, they are not a limited production run model.

I'm glad to hear all the positive reviews of these rods guys! I've been fishing mine a lot more since getting them and again, as a long time Megabass rod user, I'm very pleased with these all the way around, they are 100% what I expect from a high end Megabass rod.

Kevin - that Addermine is overlooked and under discussed, I agree. It's a phenomenal "all around" spinning rod for someone who really wants to have a highly versatile, very light, and very sensitive spinning rod. I'm glad you like it.

The Javelin is the newest incarnate of the Nautilus indeed. They're similar in so many regards that guys who missed out on the Nautilus will be very happy to get a Javelin in the line up.

The Tackle Trap has them all in stock except the FMJ which is on back order until sometime in July OR August. If you guys want to get in line on the FMJ and get one as soon as they show, let me know, I have a list going already for this awesome rod. The Valdiva isn't far behind in terms of availability, and will be backordered fairly soon, so grab that one while you can!

Megabass USA 2017 Destroyers
How similar to the nautilus is the javelin? Is it as versatile? My Nautilus snapped in half today, and if I cannot find a used nautilus soon I may have to pick up a Javelin to replace it...

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:51 pm

To me it seems to have the same action just in a 1/4 to 1/2 power heavier model. The tip doesn't load up quite as easily on the lighter end like the Nautilus does but handles the heaver end with a bit more ease. Very similar though, I would say not quite as good for the lowest range of what you would throw on the Nautilus but a little better for the higher end you would throw on the Nautilus and it feels about the same for most of its range.

I slightly prefer the Nautilus in the 1/4 to 3/8 oz range and slightly prefer the Javelin in the 3/4 to 1.5 oz range. Everything in between 3/8 and 3/4 oz is about equal for me. Of course that is personal preference.

I don't feel you are going down in rod quality, to me the Nautilus is slightly more "special" with a tiny bit more "it" just feeling slightly more electric in hand but I think that is just due to it being a slightly lighter power and that I personally prefer a little lighter power rod than most for any given technique. If you like a little heavier powered rod you might very well feel the Javelin is more "special" with more "it"