First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Post by papabassin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:37 am

jpmoney wrote:I love the specs! This is going to be an expensive year. :mrgreen:
Also loving the specs. Aaaannnndddd looks like none of them are glass! =D>

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:45 am

I wonder... FMJ vs 2016 Super Destroyer, I know it's not a direct comparison given the added length of the FMJ but still would like to know which is the better or more versatile jig and bottom contact stick

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimanogloomis man » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 am

bronzefly wrote:
shimanogloomis man wrote:Gary Do you think there on par with a NRX?
I like to have a lot more time on the water with a rod, or a new series of rods before making too many comparisons, especially outside the family. The perception of a rods sensitivity is highly subjective, but I am impressed with what I have felt in these new Destroyer models.

I hear ya Gary I see a few that fit my style but for now I placed an order for a xxx last week from TTT can't wait to get it !!
Shimano and Gloomis just kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc 225

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am

Still curious about the blank.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am

389Maverick wrote:Still curious about the blank.
Me too...and these would have to be very impressive to make me start selling off X7s and P3s.
Aesthetics are there, but performance > form...not by much :lol:...but that's what counts in the end for me.
Looking forward to some answers.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:14 pm

I doubt theres anything that will make me sell my X7's. :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

I'd agree, nothing will get me to sell off my X7's. Those are something special indeed, though in all fairness, retail they were also $200+ more each, and the Phase III were $100+ more each.

The blanks do NOT use Pyrofil. I'm told the blank is similar to that used in 2016 Destroyer, but not identical. Everyone knows how Megabass is about releasing every detail...
shimanogloomis man wrote:[
I hear ya Gary I see a few that fit my style but for now I placed an order for a xxx last week from TTT can't wait to get it !!
Likewise, I'll have a few new Megabass rods to play around with until these new Destroyers make it, thank you for the order!
leggomye990 wrote:I wonder... FMJ vs 2016 Super Destroyer, I know it's not a direct comparison given the added length of the FMJ but still would like to know which is the better or more versatile jig and bottom contact stick
The Phase III Super Destroyer is a great jig stick indeed, especially for close quarters applications. The 6'9" length leaves something to be desired for me when fishing deeper water or making longer casts however. The FMJ at 7'1" resolves a lot of those problems. I've fished the PIII SD a lot, the FMJ just a bit, but I think guys will go for the FMJ on length alone as a jig rod. I'm sure the sensitivity is there on the FMJ.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 am

I like that the oneten is a fast taper.
I've gotten really into jerkbaits over the past year and find that I prefer a faster taper for them, due to being able to get em to dance with a shorter twitch/snap motion, vs a harder jerk/sweep of a slower rod. And much like topwater, I find a faster tip gives me more precise control of every little movement of the lure, and with less effort.
I also feel like I can get better hooksets with mono, especially at longer distances.

I could see this one possibly being a nice fluke rod as well.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am

If its a cork grip that FMJ is going to be pretty hard to resist. I'm still on the hunt for "the jig" rod, and I keep putting off the NRX because I'm unsure about the skeletonized reel seat.

Agentboost
Angler
Angler

Post by Agentboost » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:11 am

Gary,

That Warhammer and Valdiva looks very interesting! Cheers to who get to name these rod.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 am

spookybaits wrote:I like that the oneten is a fast taper.
Orochi XXX ONETEN STICK listed as Taper: Regular Lure Wt. 1/4-3/4Oz Line Capa: 8-20lb
Strange how Megabass changes taper of rods for different markets.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 am

Probably to early, but I would love to know the handle length on each rod. The Valdia and Daemos have my attention. :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:59 am

bronzefly wrote:
Bass1980 wrote:7'1-7'2 MH or H, fast, please. [-o<
You have two options. One of the new rods is a highly versatile 72MH, not extremely fast tapered, but fast enough and sensitive enough for single hook bottom contact without a doubt, among many other uses. Another is a 71H designed as a jig stick and it's sweet too =D>
AAh! 7'1" H jig stick! A 7' H Fast is what I've been waiting for from megabass. If the price of the rod is in the 4-500 range I will have no choice but to make the super destroyer I just bought a topwater/moving bait rod. I don't have a steez reel yet either. Curse you tackle gods, curse you!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:46 am

Haha got too jacked up to finish reading the thread. Looks like my fate is sealed. Killer line up.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:09 am

Kschultz76 wrote:If its a cork grip that FMJ is going to be pretty hard to resist. I'm still on the hunt for "the jig" rod, and I keep putting off the NRX because I'm unsure about the skeletonized reel seat.
Kevin, the FMJ is split grip. The handle part of the split is cork, the rear grip is EVA.
Agentboost wrote:Gary,

That Warhammer and Valdiva looks very interesting! Cheers to who get to name these rod.
Agreed, Megabass has always been creative with their rod names to say the least, great fun :lol:
zodiak311 wrote:Probably to early, but I would love to know the handle length on each rod. The Valdia and Daemos have my attention. :big grin:
As soon as I have that information, I'll be glad to share. Butt to trigger on the prototype Valdiva is right at 11" but final production products may vary.
Obz wrote:Haha got too jacked up to finish reading the thread. Looks like my fate is sealed. Killer line up.
:lol: Yes indeed...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap