Bait casting rod guide size that enhances performance without disadvantages

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bait casting rod guide size that enhances performance without disadvantages

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:03 am

I'm contemplating both purchasing a new bait casting rod and building a new bait casting rod. Lure weight would likely run down to or slightly less than 1/4 up to 3/4 ounce for both rods. After a discussion on line size I am planning to try 40 lb. braid (partly to avoid backlashes). Without starting a war on micro guides versus normal guides --- is there a particular running guide size that people could agree makes a lighter weight better performing rod without the drawback of being so small as to cause problems?

Thank you for your suggestions
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bait casting rod guide size that enhances performance without disadvantages

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 am

What kind of issues would you encounter? I know some have problems with vegetation, trash, or ice, which I don't have problems with down here.
I like 5's. Leader knot passes through no problem but are still very small and light. I've gone as small as 4 and they worked ok, but the 5s were perfect for line/leader combinations. Using straight braid or flouro should be able to go down to size 4 without issue.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 am

Issues with small guide would be some of the ones you identified -- grass or other debris -- possible icing during cold mornings, seeing the small guides well enough to string my rods. Ice build up is not something I am planning around though -- if weather is that cold I have other rods with larger guides. General casting -- when casting with spinning rods with 4.5 runners I've sometimes felt that the small guides might be affecting my aim (particularly with sidearm casts) overhead casts not so much.

I've been thinking I would try either 5's or 4.5's, but wanted to hear other people's thoughts. Another rod builder already suggested 5's and after hearing you make the same suggestion I'm convinced -- but still interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Thank You

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm

I think I replied to this in the custom rods section, but 5 seems to be the magic number for me.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 am

On a casting rod, the rings diameter have no impact on casting distance because the line go straight in line with the rings out of the reel.

I had several rods with micro guides (quantum smoke, dobyns savy) which I used with 50lbs braid line for froggin or 12 lbs mono for texas rigs, and my casting distance with micro guides was the same as with my other rods with regular size rings.

By the way look at the diameter of the guide line ring on your baitcast reel and you will realize it is smaller than the smaller regular guide on your casting rod.

But yes, microguides are a problem for guys who like to fish with long leaders because the knot will knock in the micro guides rings and it will impact your casting distance.

Concerning Ice, trash or trees pollen it is a problem with micro guides but it will be a problem with regular size guides too, the only difference is the problem will come after each 2/3 casts with micro guides rather than after each 5/6 casts on regular size ring.

If I had to build a custom casting rod I would use size 5 guides which are a good intermediary choice.

But if the rings weight is your concern, titanium frame rings is the way to go.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for more replies -- I am building three rods at this point. Two with #5 runners and now with 4.5 runners. I'm also still considering purchasing a factory rod. Wish I had a chance to cast one of the rods before making / purchasing more -- but lots of snow on the ground and was very cold today. Went ice fishing and had to drill through more than 2 feet of ice -- open water is a long way off. When it gets here I should be raring to get out and cast with my new rods -- thanks again. Yes, I also posted about this issue on the custom rods page -- and received similar answers.

Susitnasalmonguide