Casting Rod Suggestions in Sub-$150 Category

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dsj42
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Casting Rod Suggestions in Sub-$150 Category

Post by dsj42 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey TT members. I'm hoping you fine folks can give me some input and make my decision a little easier.

Basically, I'm about to pull the trigger on a sub-$150 casting rod (7'-7'3", M action for all-purpose lure bass fishing excluding topwater, as it will probably be paired with a Sixgill Hyperion with #12 fluoro), and have narrowed it down between the following choices:

1.) Daiwa Tatula (7' MR original, NOT the XT. I've seen TT's review on this rod and saw its really high score)

2.) St. Croix Mojo Bass (7'1" MF)

3.) Dobyn's Fury (7'-7'3" MF/MHF)

4.) Kistler Carbon Steel (7' MF)

Honorable Mentions:

Falcon BuCoo (7'2" MH/MF)

Falcon BuCoo SR (7'2" MH/MF)

I was also hoping that you might be able to tell me the true 'power' ratings on these rods (i.e., I know St. Croix tends to overrate their power ratings and their MHs are more like Hs, and on the flip side, Falcons are usually slightly underrated.

FYI -- I've searched this and other forums/sites for reviews on these individuals rods, but haven't found a comparison between these particular rods. What I've read about these rods are what's made them my 'finalists', as I know there's really no bad option here! Just hoping to make the best decision.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Regards,

Dave

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting Rod Suggestions in Sub-$150 Category

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:43 am

I'm a big believer in taper and selecting a taper that is ideal for the baits I intend to throw. Unfortunately there is an enormous amount of variation in Medium Heavy Mod-Fast across different manufactures and randomly selecting a rod that looks good on paper can have less than stellar results. Your best best bet is to let us know what you're looking to throw and what characteristics you want from a rod and some members will pop up and recommend some rods you may like based on their experiences with the same baits.

So, what kind of baits are you looking to throw with this stick?

EDIT: you may want to consider upgrading from that Sixgill Hyperion sometime in the future. After googling, it appears to the be the same platform as the Shishamo and Kast King branded reels. And yes, there is a Chinese reel brand name called Shishamo.

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Can't go wrong with the Tatula rods in their price range and you can always find them on sale.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 am

A 13 Fishing Omen Black 2 should be high on that list!!
I own or have owned a lot of $100 rods, and this ranks as one of the best!
Also...... Made in USA/

I just grabbed a couple Omen 2's for $85, with free shipping! :^)
Gander Mountain had a one day thing going on yesterday

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I would honestly save another 50 dollars and hit the 200 market. I would say the best 200 dollar rods are zodias, kistler klx and tatula/cronos rods!

lostboy45b
Angler
Angler

Post by lostboy45b » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:14 am

I am a little bias since I own quite a few Dobyns rods and the Sierra series is $169 only $19 more than your budget. There is a big difference between the Fury and Sierra. Personally I would go with the Sierra series.

13 Omen Black 2 is also a great rod for the price. I have a couple of them and my son swears by them. Either way you go it won't be wrong since it's your choice.

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 am

A 6'10" mhf Tatula is a super versatile rod. The 7mr you are looking at is more of a moving treble bait rod. I've fished a bunch of the Tatula rods and love them for the ~$100 price they are going for.

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 am

To add a bit more. Look at the TT tests on a St Croix avid mhxf and how it compares to the Loomis 844. Then look at the Tatula 72hf test and see the similarities between the three. A st Croix medium is pretty close to a Daiwa mh. I owns my Falcon and Dobyns as well, the definitely are a bit more mod fast than fast and fish a tiny bit lighter than their listed power.