First Day with New GLX 893/894/954

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

First Day with New GLX 893/894/954

Post by DChiWildcats » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 am

Today I had a chance to get off work a little early and test out my brand new GLX 893/894/954. I have the 893/894 NRX and have fished them extensively over the past few years and punched all last year exclusively with the IMX 954.

The new GLX versions have exceeded my expectations thus far with the limited time I have been able to fish them. I want to make it clear that I absolutely love my NRX. For bottom contact jig / worm fishing you will not find a more sensitive rod than the NRX particularly the magical 893. I was catching spotted bass last year with the 893 dragging a 1/2 oz. hula grub in 50 plus feet of water and I could feel every rock, every bite, just amazing. I used my NRX 894's the last few years for various applications. Whether it was pitching 1/2 oz jigs, casting 3/8 oz texas rigged 10" worms, swimming large keitechs and swim jigs, slow rolling 3/4 oz spinnerbaits, froggin', buzzbaits, even a chatterbait, this rod handled them all very well. Very powerful and very sensitive.

What really stuck out to me in the two days I have had to fish the new GLX was that the things I liked most about these rods were the things I disliked most about my NRX. For example they do balance better, at least in my hand. The 893's are pretty even due to how light they both are so I will call this a wash but the 894 GLX feels better when working a jig or a texas rig due to it being noticeably better balanced . The balance of the 954 GLX compared to the IMX is not even comparable. For a 7'11" it truly is amazing how easy it is on the wrist to drop and lift that rod. No doubt you will not find a finer flipping stick on the market.

The second thing would be the handle. I have handled the previous generation of GLX and really liked how the hour glass shape fit my hand when compared to the NRX straight no thrills handle. The new GLX is no different and with the soft rubber handle it does feel much more comfortable in hand than my NRX.

The third would be the guide train. When the NRX first came out, one of my main concerns with them was their use of recoil guides. I got over my hesitation rather quickly once I began fishing them but there was always a bit of "I wish they were just all SIC's" in the back of my mind. This became even more amplified when I fished a buzzbait on braid with my 894. Every cast, handle turn, fish fought, had that ever so slight nails on a chalk board feel that drove my OCD crazy. This of course could be due to the type of braid I was using or just that my OCD really is that bad (haha I like to think not) but either way I never got used to rigging up braid on an NRX.

The fourth would be models available. When the NRX first came out, I like many of the nuts here on Tackle Tour wanted to have an arsenal full of NRX for every technique and every situation. After all if they are the best rods on the market why not utilize their versatility. But unfortunately they never came out with a true punching rod like the GLX 954. They also never came out with an MBR 844 and like many I was disappointed that the NRX MBR series was not full handle like the new GLX is. I will say that the tapers on the GLX 893/894 do feel jussssssssst a bit more moderate which in my mind translates to more versatile.

Bottom line is I still absolutely love my NRX 843/893/894/822/852s/902s but when it comes to comfort, fishability, versatility, model selection, and aesthetics, I personally am liking the GLX line more. The GLX rods are insanely sensitive. Are they NRX sensitive? That's so subjective and difficult to answer but all I can say is between the 893's and 894's dragging the same jig over the same rock pile...I didn't feel a noticeable difference. At least not a difference big enough for me to say "Well after fishing the NRX with a jig I can't even think of using another line", like I did when I originally compared them to my Cumara's. NRX are the most sensitive rods on the market, GLX let's say are the 2nd and 99/100th's most sensitive rods on the market. Still love my NRX, but the guides, looks, and feel of the GLX has put them in favor at least with me.

Next order of business is to get a GLX MBR 843/844 and 853/895 JWR. If anyone has any experience with any of the new GLX rods, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. When I first saw the pictures of the new series with the carbon fiber butt cap and what appeared to be goofy color selection I was a bit skeptical, but I must say they are beautiful rods.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: First Day with New GLX 893/894/954

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Awesome write up. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. I was on the fence but now I will take the plunge and pick up an 854c for 1/2oz jigs with a trailer.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm

=D> =D> =D>
Nicely written. May have to consider a few. I had the green GLX models for awhile, until I got bit by the MB bug.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Great review, thanks for sharing.
I can't wait to get out on the water with my new GLX 842 MBR. This just whet my appetite!

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm

They are a vast improvement over the previous Green GLX. For some reason those rods just felt "dead". Not the case here from my experience.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 am

DChiWildcats wrote:Today I had a chance to get off work a little early and test out my brand new GLX 893/894/954. I have the 893/894 NRX and have fished them extensively over the past few years and punched all last year exclusively with the IMX 954.

The new GLX versions have exceeded my expectations thus far with the limited time I have been able to fish them. I want to make it clear that I absolutely love my NRX. For bottom contact jig / worm fishing you will not find a more sensitive rod than the NRX particularly the magical 893. I was catching spotted bass last year with the 893 dragging a 1/2 oz. hula grub in 50 plus feet of water and I could feel every rock, every bite, just amazing. I used my NRX 894's the last few years for various applications. Whether it was pitching 1/2 oz jigs, casting 3/8 oz texas rigged 10" worms, swimming large keitechs and swim jigs, slow rolling 3/4 oz spinnerbaits, froggin', buzzbaits, even a chatterbait, this rod handled them all very well. Very powerful and very sensitive.

What really stuck out to me in the two days I have had to fish the new GLX was that the things I liked most about these rods were the things I disliked most about my NRX. For example they do balance better, at least in my hand. The 893's are pretty even due to how light they both are so I will call this a wash but the 894 GLX feels better when working a jig or a texas rig due to it being noticeably better balanced . The balance of the 954 GLX compared to the IMX is not even comparable. For a 7'11" it truly is amazing how easy it is on the wrist to drop and lift that rod. No doubt you will not find a finer flipping stick on the market.

The second thing would be the handle. I have handled the previous generation of GLX and really liked how the hour glass shape fit my hand when compared to the NRX straight no thrills handle. The new GLX is no different and with the soft rubber handle it does feel much more comfortable in hand than my NRX.

The third would be the guide train. When the NRX first came out, one of my main concerns with them was their use of recoil guides. I got over my hesitation rather quickly once I began fishing them but there was always a bit of "I wish they were just all SIC's" in the back of my mind. This became even more amplified when I fished a buzzbait on braid with my 894. Every cast, handle turn, fish fought, had that ever so slight nails on a chalk board feel that drove my OCD crazy. This of course could be due to the type of braid I was using or just that my OCD really is that bad (haha I like to think not) but either way I never got used to rigging up braid on an NRX.

The fourth would be models available. When the NRX first came out, I like many of the nuts here on Tackle Tour wanted to have an arsenal full of NRX for every technique and every situation. After all if they are the best rods on the market why not utilize their versatility. But unfortunately they never came out with a true punching rod like the GLX 954. They also never came out with an MBR 844 and like many I was disappointed that the NRX MBR series was not full handle like the new GLX is. I will say that the tapers on the GLX 893/894 do feel jussssssssst a bit more moderate which in my mind translates to more versatile.

Bottom line is I still absolutely love my NRX 843/893/894/822/852s/902s but when it comes to comfort, fishability, versatility, model selection, and aesthetics, I personally am liking the GLX line more. The GLX rods are insanely sensitive. Are they NRX sensitive? That's so subjective and difficult to answer but all I can say is between the 893's and 894's dragging the same jig over the same rock pile...I didn't feel a noticeable difference. At least not a difference big enough for me to say "Well after fishing the NRX with a jig I can't even think of using another line", like I did when I originally compared them to my Cumara's. NRX are the most sensitive rods on the market, GLX let's say are the 2nd and 99/100th's most sensitive rods on the market. Still love my NRX, but the guides, looks, and feel of the GLX has put them in favor at least with me.

Next order of business is to get a GLX MBR 843/844 and 853/895 JWR. If anyone has any experience with any of the new GLX rods, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. When I first saw the pictures of the new series with the carbon fiber butt cap and what appeared to be goofy color selection I was a bit skeptical, but I must say they are beautiful rods.
. Thanks for the nice review.... i started fishing the 894 glx last fall and now have several other models.... great rods

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 am

Thanks just what I needed to know :D and I probably shouldn't have read ](*,)

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:40 am

Black Haze wrote:
DChiWildcats wrote:Today I had a chance to get off work a little early and test out my brand new GLX 893/894/954. I have the 893/894 NRX and have fished them extensively over the past few years and punched all last year exclusively with the IMX 954.

. Thanks for the nice review.... i started fishing the 894 glx last fall and now have several other models.... great rods
Have you used the GLX 894 for any reaction baits yet? I think it would make a great paddletail / large swim jig rod. What other models have you fished? Very curious on everyones experience. I want more haha!

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:00 am

Im a big jig fisherman so ive spent quite a bit of time throwing 1/2 jigs with the 894...liked it so much i picked a second 894 up..spent a little time throwing small jigs and shakeyheads with the 892....also have a 893, 855, and 895.... just waiting for the cold weather to put the glxs to good use...im sure the 894 would work fine for throwing smaller swimbaits and swim jigs its a pretty powerful stick

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am

Black Haze wrote:Im a big jig fisherman so ive spent quite a bit of time throwing 1/2 jigs with the 894...liked it so much i picked a second 894 up..spent a little time throwing small jigs and shakeyheads with the 892....also have a 893, 855, and 895.... just waiting for the cold weather to put the glxs to good use...im sure the 894 would work fine for throwing smaller swimbaits and swim jigs its a pretty powerful stick
I am debating getting another 894. How is the balance on the 895? I had an NRX 895 but it was so tip heavy I couldn't stand it. That is a great rod for pitching 1/2 oz jigs and doubles as a great frog stick. Although, I think the 894 can double as a frog stick as well.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Black Haze wrote:Im a big jig fisherman so ive spent quite a bit of time throwing 1/2 jigs with the 894...liked it so much i picked a second 894 up..spent a little time throwing small jigs and shakeyheads with the 892....also have a 893, 855, and 895.... just waiting for the cold weather to put the glxs to good use...im sure the 894 would work fine for throwing smaller swimbaits and swim jigs its a pretty powerful stick
I'd like to hear about the power and action of the 892 vs. the 893 if you have any experience.

Great review in the original post. I am a bit surprised that the GLX might be a more moderate then the NRX. I wonder if this is something unique to the lengths being talked?

I have several of the NRX 894's and 893. I'd have a hard time picking anything else up. Would be easiest for me to experience the GLX with the 892 model but not sure it would have the power I seek for single hook fishing.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:29 am

DChiWildcats wrote:
I am debating getting another 894. How is the balance on the 895? I had an NRX 895 but it was so tip heavy I couldn't stand it. That is a great rod for pitching 1/2 oz jigs and doubles as a great frog stick. Although, I think the 894 can double as a frog stick as well.
895JWR GLX Weight and balance(with a steez)....Wish they would of made the handle a little longer like the 895 flipping model...[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/ba ... .jpg[/img][Image/url]

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:41 am

Black Haze wrote:
DChiWildcats wrote:
895JWR GLX Weight and balance(with a steez)....Wish they would of made the handle a little longer like the 895 flipping model...[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/ba ... .jpg[/img][Image/url]
You should post the picture of the 893. It really helped me! I just ordered an 893. Balance looked like my 843 NRX, which is almost perfect at front of foregrip. Can't wait to get it

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:56 am

What do you prefer using the 855 and 895 for?

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:40 am

DChiWildcats wrote:What do you prefer using the 855 and 895 for?
I havent fished the 855 yet but the old bcr glx 855 was one of my all time favorites....and my hopes are this rod is very similar, very powerful rod that i will be using for swimming jigs, throwing larger jigs and plastics around docks and heavy cover..... the 895 will be used for pitching and flipping grass with braid and maybe punching a little with a little frog action mixed in lol...thats my thinking anyway