Tatula Signature Series

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tatula Signature Series

Post by jte54 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:09 am

From what I looked at I think these are the non AGS.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:56 am

I would tend to think that the bottom contact rods would have AGS. Looking forward to seeing these.

big tom
Angler
Angler

Post by big tom » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 am

Seth Feider gave a seminar last weekend at the Illinois Fishing show... The Platinum silver Tatula XFast Signature rods, spinning and casting, had very soft tip actions...He could bend the tips parallel to the blank...I was impressed. My kind of actions for finesse-med techniques...but I am mainly on the Great Lakes...not much grass :lol:
LUV TO FISH!
http://northwoodsadventures.org

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:09 am

An affordable x fast tapered worm rod paired to a brand and color matching SV spool'd reel sounds awfully tempting.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:20 am

I went by the open house at Watsons Marine in Bluff City TN today. Daiwa had a booth set up and had some of the new Tatula rods there. I looked mostly at the Casting AGS Elite rods and the one that piqued my interest was a 7 foot medium/medium heavy designed by Bret Ehrler. I tried hard to get the rep to sale me that rod on the spot, but of course he said that he had to take them back to CA. These were all labeled as Final Sample rods, I guess meaning they were the last prototype. The rep indicated that a few have been accidentally shipped, and should show up at dealers within a week or so, although Daiwa really wants to keep these rods under wraps until the Classic.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Im not really interested in the same rod lineup only at a higher price point and pro signature...

Gonna have to see more rod features first

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:23 am

I just returned home from picking up a Tatula Elite 701M/MHXB rod. As I said before Daiwa accidentally shipped a few of these rods before they intended too, and luckily one of the dealers I visit was lucky enough to get a batch in. I will be fishing the rod tomorrow and will report back then.

My initial impression is that the rod is the perfect action for my winter smallmouth fishing. In the past I have used both MH and M rods and this combination M\MH falls right in the perfect zone I think. The rod has the same handle as a Cronos, except that the fore nut is EVA instead of metal. The balance point with a Steez SV TWS is right at the end of the fore nut so it is balanced very well in hand. The rod uses a sanded SVF nano plus blank and the guides are the AGS, so the sensitivity should be great.

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 am

daiwafan wrote:I just returned home from picking up a Tatula Elite 701M/MHXB rod. As I said before Daiwa accidentally shipped a few of these rods before they intended too, and luckily one of the dealers I visit was lucky enough to get a batch in. I will be fishing the rod tomorrow and will report back then.

My initial impression is that the rod is the perfect action for my winter smallmouth fishing. In the past I have used both MH and M rods and this combination M\MH falls right in the perfect zone I think. The rod has the same handle as a Cronos, except that the fore nut is EVA instead of metal. The balance point with a Steez SV TWS is right at the end of the fore nut so it is balanced very well in hand. The rod uses a sanded SVF nano plus blank and the guides are the AGS, so the sensitivity should be great.
What was the price of that rod and where did you get it. Post some pics.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:36 am

I got the rod from Watson Marine in a Bluff City, Tn. The price was 299 I think, to be honest I can't remember.

I caught a total of 9 smallies out of New River today with it using 2.5 inch tubes with a 1/8 oz weight. They ranged in size between 1 pound 2 ounces and 3 pounds 12 ounces. The rod is very happy throwing this bait which is on the lower end of its 1/8 to 1 ounce range. It was very windy most of the day but even in the wind I had no problem with strike detection and overall I am very pleased with sensitivity of the rod. I like the fact that they moved the hook keeper to the top of the blank as opposed the the side like the Tatula and Zillion rods. It seems with the keeper on the side I will end up with the line caught in the keeper several times each trip, usually after "popping" the lure loose from a rock. I had no such problem on the Tatula Elite today.

I have a few pictures but unfortunately I will have to re size them on a PC tomorrow before posting,

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Very interesting. I have a steez firewolf which is svf nano plus and is very sensitive and responsive.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Here is a very bad picture of the rod.
Attachments
20170211_170557 (360x640).jpg
20170211_170557 (360x640).jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Here is a better picture of the rod, better because there is a 3 pound 12 ounce smallie in it LOL
Attachments
20170212_104359 (360x640).jpg
20170212_104359 (360x640).jpg (94.78 KiB) Viewed 6478 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 am

daiwafan wrote:Here is a better picture of the rod, better because there is a 3 pound 12 ounce smallie in it LOL
Nice fish :big grin:

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:28 am

Glad to hear you got one in hand. So would you recommend this rod?

Nice smallie!

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 am

I certainly would recommend this rod. I think the rating on the one I have is a little toward the MH side as opposed to the M side. When I handled the Final Sample rods before, that rod seemed a little more toward the M action than the one I bought. It could be simply the difference in two rods, because after all no two are identical. The rod is very sensitive, even more so than the Cronos I have been raving about recently, but I expected that given the AGS guides.

I will be getting more in the future. There is a skipping rod in this lineup that will be next in line to purchase.