NRX refresh ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX refresh ?

Post by Frosty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:12 am

TahoeDust wrote:Someone posted this on another forum in a thread not directly on the topic...
Wait until ICAST this yr when Loomis brings out this rod that's gonna top the NRX in weight and sensitivity. Woops did I just say that?
Any thoughts on this?
Don't tease me =P~

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Frosty wrote:
TahoeDust wrote:Someone posted this on another forum in a thread not directly on the topic...
Wait until ICAST this yr when Loomis brings out this rod that's gonna top the NRX in weight and sensitivity. Woops did I just say that?
Any thoughts on this?
Don't tease me =P~

I can't afford to read this post ](*,) I am going to pretend that I never read this [-o< Well maybe not maybe there will be some NRX rods for sale for cheap soon with my name written all over them 8-[ Let me know what you got =P~

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Why would not they refresh NRX lineup? It's "old" and there's know "issues" about shitty reelseat(spinning), ugly messed wraps and very unbalanced overall weight. Blank is awesome tho !!!

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:18 am

Any thoughts on this?
I saw this post, and took it with a grain of salt. I know that dude just went to BASS University and mingled with some pros; maybe he caught some gossip there, but I'm skeptical.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:17 am

Where this info is coming from?

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:13 am

The speculation is that the new rod will be based on the same blank as their new ultra high end fly rod...the Asquith.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 am

TahoeDust wrote:The speculation is that the new rod will be based on the same blank as their new ultra high end fly rod...the Asquith.
That would be awesome if it happens and it truly can top NRX, but that's asking quite a bit. Honestly I think we've become numb to just how gnarly NRX performance is, I mean it's stupid sensitive! I was pulling masking tape of a few new additions today that I cork sealed, and when the tape comes off or you brush the blank the entire thing reverbs every rub and movement-tap it on a table and it feels like a shock. I've been having customs built for me for over 10 years and there's flat out nothing even close to NRX sensitivity, especially given that I've never broke one or even seen it. I even tried a GLX 2016 893 this year tied on a jig 10 casts, and immediately tied the jig back on an NRX. As we tend to tinker everyone's always looking for the "new rod" that can top NRX, they're even importing $700 rods just to end up with subpar sensitivity. I think it's time we stop all the whining about recoil guides, split grips, and give credit where it's due. These rods were created with one thing in mind performance, if you want a blinged up rod that looks like a spaceship get a MB, you want top performance well NRX is it.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 am

TahoeDust wrote:The speculation is that the new rod will be based on the same blank as their new ultra high end fly rod...the Asquith.
Will be interesting to see.

From the Asquith page "Built on Shimano’s proprietary Spiral X platform, the Asquith boasts superb power transfer from tip to hand, quick recovery, and increased sensitivity."

Spiral-x is listed for most of the Shimano Jackall rods (Adrena, Glorious, Ultima) as well as the newer Bantam rods and their World Shaula series. Good company to be in but not groundbreaking in and of itself.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 am

If Rajeff is not designing the rod itself it will certainly be a different rod.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:59 am

Sound like different series and above the NRX in price range.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:05 am

Was looking a bit more and the Asquith Fly Rods are supposed to use 3 layers of material instead of 5 and be 15% lighter than NRX for a comparable model. NRX only claim to fame is sensitivity so I was just wondering how they were going to make the rods more sensitive. A weight reduction like that would go a long way to realizing it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:23 am

Farnorth wrote:Was looking a bit more and the Asquith Fly Rods are supposed to use 3 layers of material instead of 5 and be 15% lighter than NRX for a comparable model. NRX only claim to fame is sensitivity so I was just wondering how they were going to make the rods more sensitive. A weight reduction like that would go a long way to realizing it.
Balance would help the "perceived" sensitivity.

I have an 852 and I love it. If it didn't have the cork hood on the reel seat I wouldn't mind.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 am

Still waiting patiently for a 903c or maybe 902c. I'd love it if there was a refresh that resulted in the rods being more balanced but I could live without it.

I'll be a bit bummed out if they introduce a new "better" line at a higher pricepoint just because I don't see myself being able to rationalize a rod over $600, but as long as the NRX line isn't dropped and the quality of it doesn't suffer, then it's all good.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I have 3 NRX rods and have not had one problem with any of them, I sealed the cork when I first got each one new with U-40.
To me they are excellent, I even run braid on all of them and have not had even the slightest problem with any of the guides.

I also love the blue.

Tough, SENSITIVE and sexy IMO.

But I would go with sic torzite guides and full grip instead of split, if it was my choice, but I'm not complaining....

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 am

PBP wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:Honest question here, but those of you that like and dislike some of the NRX features, why not just go the custom route?

I had a full line of NRX rods about 2 years ago. I loved the sensitivity on them, but hated the split grips. Hated the recoil guides. Hated the horrible balance. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to spend 5 bills on a rod, the freggin thing better balance in my hand. I had rods that were a 3rd of the NRX price and balanced much better. My 895 was great for heavy jigs, but 4 hours with it and I was wore out. Save your gym jokes, 1985 called. Pissed you're still using them. :big grin:

For what you will spend on a new NRX, you can get a custom off a Point Blank for under that. I have 3 off PB's now and I will put everything I own on these rods are every bit as sensitive and powerful as the NRX line. Especially with the spiral wrapped Torzites.
One of the main reasons for me is I have no Idea where to get references to top quality custom rod builder here in Ontario. Even for swapping recoils on NRX.
You are so right! I'v got two NFC finesse rods done by one "master" in Toronto... It's disgusting ,-he put set of big guides total weight of 3/16 on the blank 1/32-1/8... I have to take it off,and going to do it myself.It's not a big deal,I did already one rod \:D/
And I'm really interesting to try some Point Blank . Will be appreciate any review.Thanks!