NRX refresh ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: NRX refresh ?

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 am

while they will likely maintain the split grip, I truly don't see them moving towards EVA.

this is still their flagship rod....eva is used for cost savings, not on your flagship rods.
1-2%

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:while they will likely maintain the split grip, I truly don't see them moving towards EVA.

this is still their flagship rod....eva is used for cost savings, not on your flagship rods.
Agreed. That would shock me and consider it highly doubtful. I would like to see my beloved NRX spins updated for no other reason than to be the first in line for the "old and outdated". I would gladly purchase many more.

Since it has taken since ICAST to see the GLX spins emerge I would guess a NRX update to be many moons off.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 am

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they left the same layout for the NRX's. I do only have one (853C), but I plan on adding at least two later this spring (852S, 822DSR, and MAYBE an 854C :evil: ). I've fished with more Dobyns, and while I do enjoy them, I prefer the added NRX sensitivity, and don't mind that they don't balance as well as the Dobyns. I don't mind the Recoils either. I'm just content where they're at.
I wouldn't change anything either. The market for a full grip high end rod is not big enough. There's a reason sum of the top light weight rods are split grip, more demand. Zbone, steez ags, k2 Just to name a few. I wouldn't purchase a new nrx just for new guides And better balance. It's a reason that the nrx is the most popular high end rod, it just works. I'm sure Loomis knows that for a new nrx to be release AND sell good, there must be claims of a lighter more sensitive blank than the current model. And if anyone is worried about getting tired from lack of balance on 3 And 4 oz rods, I can get them 7 day free passes to my gym, that might help. I actually see a company like kistler with the zbone coming out with a more lighter sensitive rod than the nrx, as they usually changing up every couple of years

tioke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tioke » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:10 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:while they will likely maintain the split grip, I truly don't see them moving towards EVA.

many high end megabass rods with EVA \:D/

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Hennessy wrote: And if anyone is worried about getting tired from lack of balance on 3 And 4 oz rods, I can get them 7 day free passes to my gym, that might help.
it doesnt matter how strong you are. an unbalanced rod is going to feel unbalanced from the first cast even for Dillon and Butch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItzslynRhwg

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:47 pm

bigfruits wrote:
Hennessy wrote: And if anyone is worried about getting tired from lack of balance on 3 And 4 oz rods, I can get them 7 day free passes to my gym, that might help.
it doesnt matter how strong you are. an unbalanced rod is going to feel unbalanced from the first cast even for Dillon and Butch.

. Agree, bottom line is if your going to spent $500 for a rod it should be balanced, split grip or not....im guessing they will address the balance issue on the nrx with the longer rods this time around....... how about a 892, 855, and a 893.5 Nrx (if there could be such a thing)

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:11 am

Black Haze wrote:
bigfruits wrote:

. Agree, bottom line is if your going to spent $500 for a rod it should be balanced, split grip or not....im guessing they will address the balance issue on the nrx with the longer rods this time around....... how about a 892, 855, and a 893.5 Nrx (if there could be such a thing)
I'm not the only one that made a "gym joke" about the balance of the nrx rods. But that shouldn't stop anyone from fishing one of the best rods on the planet. About like a slim bodied woman with 44 DD, balance won't be the best, but it just works :lol: I'm sure the balance issue will be address. It's definitely hard to imagine a lighter more sensitive nrx than the current model, but I'm sure it's coming. I've been fishing my nrx rods for maybe 3 years now, wonder if they are starting to get boring!? I'd definitely need a 892c nrx in my rotation

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57 am

Honest question here, but those of you that like and dislike some of the NRX features, why not just go the custom route?

I had a full line of NRX rods about 2 years ago. I loved the sensitivity on them, but hated the split grips. Hated the recoil guides. Hated the horrible balance. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to spend 5 bills on a rod, the freggin thing better balance in my hand. I had rods that were a 3rd of the NRX price and balanced much better. My 895 was great for heavy jigs, but 4 hours with it and I was wore out. Save your gym jokes, 1985 called. Pissed you're still using them. :big grin:

For what you will spend on a new NRX, you can get a custom off a Point Blank for under that. I have 3 off PB's now and I will put everything I own on these rods are every bit as sensitive and powerful as the NRX line. Especially with the spiral wrapped Torzites.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 am

rockchalk06 wrote:Honest question here, but those of you that like and dislike some of the NRX features, why not just go the custom route?

I had a full line of NRX rods about 2 years ago. I loved the sensitivity on them, but hated the split grips. Hated the recoil guides. Hated the horrible balance. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to spend 5 bills on a rod, the freggin thing better balance in my hand. I had rods that were a 3rd of the NRX price and balanced much better. My 895 was great for heavy jigs, but 4 hours with it and I was wore out. Save your gym jokes, 1985 called. Pissed you're still using them. :big grin:

For what you will spend on a new NRX, you can get a custom off a Point Blank for under that. I have 3 off PB's now and I will put everything I own on these rods are every bit as sensitive and powerful as the NRX line. Especially with the spiral wrapped Torzites.
One of the main reasons for me is I have no Idea where to get references to top quality custom rod builder here in Ontario. Even for swapping recoils on NRX.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:59 am

IF I could build with an NRX blank, I would absolutely go custom.

I've personally never heard of another blank being more sensitive.
1-2%

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:15 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:IF I could build with an NRX blank, I would absolutely go custom.

NFC MB 705 HM?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:39 pm

PBP wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:Honest question here, but those of you that like and dislike some of the NRX features, why not just go the custom route?

One of the main reasons for me is I have no Idea where to get references to top quality custom rod builder here in Ontario. Even for swapping recoils on NRX.
Good point. Even if you found a guy in the states, shipping would kill you.

cocolee
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cocolee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:44 pm

No matter how the rod evolves, balance with the reel is always THE issue.

I have NRX 802, 852, 853, 854, and 893. To be honest, I can't feel major difference between these and others, e.g., Daiwa steez or tatula.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:05 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:IF I could build with an NRX blank, I would absolutely go custom.

This

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:24 am

MardukFIN wrote:

NFC MB 705 HM?
I've had a bunch of them the 705 is definitely the special blank in the series...the MB 805 HM is right behind it, it's more of a shakey head rod with the MB 705 being only slightly more powerful somewhere between an NRX 843 and 852. The MB 706 is almost the same blank, and is the blank Cal tested in the search for the one, according to NFC. It's almost the same blank but I've never owned it.

It's the closest material I've felt to NRX. In the higher powered blanks I haven't found a taper in HM that's as fast as I would like. And custom is definitely the way to go in my eyes, as I don't like the design of their edge rods.

I'm in the group with don't change the NRX. I love the blue wraps and split grip with cork. And the guide train is the best I've used for sensitivity.
Last edited by Frosty on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.