Casting Rods... What will you spend?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

What's your comfortable price range when looking for a new casting rod?

Under $100
1%
$100 - $125
2%
$126-$150
3%
$151-$200
13%
$201-$250
14%
$251-$300
15%
$301-$350
8%
$351-$450
9%
$451 and above - the only holes I have are in my wallet
35%

Total votes: 378

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Casting Rods... What will you spend?

Post by Cal » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:06 am

I remember a time when G.Loomis IMX and GLX were right around $225 and $325 respectively. Well, the new GLX has now crested $400 with many models over $450 and IMX is hovering just under $300 with a few models over that magical line. GL3 has moved up to the former IMX price point and Mossyback appeared at some point in time to further blur the lines between GL3 and IMX. Inflation has taken its toll.

A lot of us indulge now and again treating ourselves to those $500 and over rods as a special treat. Some choose to never fish anything below this price point when given a choice ... :whistle: ... But when it comes down to it, when looking for a quality stick to fill that whole in your lineup, where does your budget begin?
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting Rods... What will you spend?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:18 am

It really depends on the technique. In a pinch, a lot of "budget" rods can work very well for moving baits. Not as easy with contact baits.

The Tatula line is the best bang for your buck for all techniques.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:46 am

I am probably most comfortable in the $200-350 range. I have paid a touch more than that for rods like the NRX for example. Most of what I buy are discontinued, sale priced, rep samples, or custom builds.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:46 am

For me, it's mostly about "what am I using it for" and "how often do I think it will be in my hands." The least expensive rod I have in my lineup is a Powell Max 3D 705CB ($159.99) while the most expensive being a Megabass 30th LWL Evoluzion Mephisto ($699.99). However, I get the feeling that I am going to be slowly replacing the "non-enthusiast" combos eventually.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:00 am

The only rods I have paid full retail for are a pair of Tatula's. Everything else was purchased used, including my Orochi XX Shakeyhead. I don't have the disposable income that others have (yet!) but when I do I'm fairly certain I'll be happy and content to spend what I can afford to spend. Ideally, I'd love to have a couple of ARMS rods eventually.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:07 pm

I've been upping my game recently. I chose top tier, not enthusiast, because I will never own a fleet of ennthusiast rods. $600 isnt out of the question for a rod I will pick up and use 30% of the time I fish. I think I will be happy with 3 high end bait cast combos. 1 mh, 1 h, and 1 xh. I have the mh and xh. Having fun hunting my perfect H power rod right now. I'll fill in the the blanks with a zillion, klx, or a fs/w/t score for topwaters, moving baits or when I want another spinning combo.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Just picked up 2 Z-Bones from the Kistler Christmas Sale. The "Monkey" wanted a 30th Mephisto, but 2 Bones for the price of 1 mephisto was to good to pass up!

806swampdonkey
Angler
Angler

Post by 806swampdonkey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:58 am

Hard to beat Daiwa full replacement policy on high end rods... encourages me to spend more

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 am

I normally wait for a sale. Most of my NRX's are dealer demos, trade-ins, or I used gift cards. I do have a couple MB rods that I paid well over $500 for. I guess I would spend up to around $650. I'm scared of rods over that price point. I would hate to fish one and than have to upgrade my current stockpile :D

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:30 am

I've been having a hard time trying to figure out where my point of diminishing returns is. There's no tackle stores locally anymore that carries higher end equipment, and do I don't think I have enough experience with high end rods to be able to tell the difference in a store without actually fishing them anyways.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:37 am

I sort of stay in the $125 to $150 on St. Croix rods when buying new, at least so far. I have a PFS69ULF panfish rod on order now and I believe it was $119, so that confirms my pattern I guess.

But, I bought a almost new Avid Inshore 7' ML spinning rod that would have been $230 new for $140 and it is great. The trick here is to find used equipment from reliable sources . . . you can get slightly used or last year's models at big discounts. Gear nerds often buy the latest and greatest and trade it off frequently for their next purchases; and, they generally take good care of it. I guess this is analogous to buying a car from someone who gets a new one each model year.

A good point was made about the type of fishing. For moving baits it is one thing, for some of the feel, finesse applications, it pays to step up a bit more I think.

Finally, I believe it is better to have a collection of specific "lesser" rods for the sorts of fishing you employ, so if it takes, say, six rods and you are on a budget of $1000, I'd rather have six $166 targeted rods than three $333 rods that are less specific where each of the three rods might be forced to cover techniques a bit beyond their real intended use. For example, I don't want to use my T-Rig rod for drop shotting, or vice versa.

Good topic!

Brad

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:16 am

I've spent just over $300 on a custom rod once before. With that exception, I've bought used from the boards, went with more affordable customs and indulged in a new rod from time to time. None of those have been over $240, though. A custom is really the way to go, though there is a learning curve to figuring out exactly what works specifically for you. The first few I had built were nice, but they went on to other owners because of this or that minor detail that didn't work for me. I have it pretty dialed in now. I now know my favorite components, rear grip length and material, guide train, etc. That's the beauty of a custom-you get all the good stuff and you can leave off or change what you don't like on a production rod.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:29 am

I like to be around $200-$250 but I'll go higher if something catches my eye or if I'm feeling particularly stupid. For example I payed $500 for an Orochi XX JPN just because it was red and I happened to have a LIN10 Mars that needed a rod. $250 for the rod and another $250 or so in shipping and Buyee fees.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 am

You only live once. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it!

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:03 am

If you like the rod and are comfortable paying for it, then get what makes you happy