Anyone fished the 2016 St. Croix Legend Elite 7' Med Hvy

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone fished the 2016 St. Croix Legend Elite 7' Med Hvy

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:43 am

Looking for a new jig rod with a stiffer tip to help me impact that perfect hopping motion.

Anyone fished the 2016 St. Croix Legend Elite 7' Med Hvy then let me know how you got on.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone fished the 2016 St. Croix Legend Elite 7' Med Hvy

Post by papabassin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:17 pm

I have the 7' Medium. It's tip has so much flex and life to it. It's a dream to work rip baits and other reaction baits with. I also don't find myself wanting or needing anymore in the sensitivity department when fishing weightless plastics or finesse jigs. The sensitive blank has such a crisp action to it...not to mention the Torzite guides that come along with it. The 2016 Elites are truly fantastic :D

Based on my experiences with the Medium, I'm not sure that the jump up to a Medium Heavy would result in a "stiff" tip though. But then again, I haven't fished with it...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:34 am

I built a rod on the 7'6" MH Mod Fast blank. It was used as my punching rod for most of the year but near the end of the year, I used it for jigs. I feel the tip was stiff enough to know what's going on and doesnt get "mushy" when working a jig. The Mod Fast taper is nice for close range hooksets and playing fish by the boat. With heavier jigs, it the tip bends slightly, which I find quite useful when detecting bites that swim toward you. It's almost like when ice fishing for panfish, detecting the "up bite" and using either a spring bobber or a flexible tip and watching it unflex when a fish bites it.

The rod is sensitive and worth the money.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 pm

I tried one out. I can't get over exposed threads of the reel seat and a giant cork foregrip.

For the money, I could not pull the trigger. Aesthetically, it is very old school and non-jdm. I have Majorcraft Speedstyle with the same reel seat and they used a beautiful locking nut with carbon fiber. Looks amazing and I can rest my finger on the blank. The MC seat has beautiful paint on it and the St. Croix is raw unfinished. The blank felt great, but the handle section reminds me of a $99 all star rod from the barging bin at a local shop. I must say, the cork was very nice quality.