Any rods beat out the kistler klx for the money?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Any rods beat out the kistler klx for the money?

Post by Mattpusa » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am

anyone out there think there is a rod that can beat the klx for the money? I personally own one and have not used a better rod, but my rod budget used to be around the $120 range. After using the klx I am looking to get another but want to hear people's options if there is a better rod out there for the money I know they have gone up in price since their first release.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Any rods beat out the kistler klx for the money?

Post by stevenhatchy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:18 pm

I don't think so, but I haven't tried all that many. Tagged to see what more experienced anglers have to say.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:55 pm

I haven't used anything better for the price. I had 8 or 9 at one point.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:59 pm

The 13 envy is the only I've fished that I liked as much as the klx or helium 3. Those 3 IMHO are a step above any I've tried around 200-250 dollars or so. I'm no expert by any means though, but I've fished a lot of rods around that price including the St Croix avid, avid x, dobyns champion, and several others I probably can't think of right now since I just got home from a 13 hour day lol

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Have 2 KLX, very happy with them, for the $, hard to beat.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Agree with timsford. The 13 Envy rods, spinning or casting, are at the top of that price point. The blanks are incredibly crisp and responsive. The casting rods have Rec guides though, so if that's not your thing, you won't like 'em.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 pm

I know it's on a different price tier (and I haven't used KLX rods yet) but of all the rods I've used the 13 Fishing Omen Black is by far the best rod for the money IMO. It's incredibly good for a $100 rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 am

If you're looking to try something different, consider the Alx Zolo B. I prefer the blanks on the Klx, but it's only by a slight margin. The build quality is a wash. Both excellent. The Klx uses a mix of Fuji and Kigan guides, the Alx uses all Kigan. Comparing model vs model, the rods fish very similar with somewhat slower than average fast tapers. Another rod that gets a lot of love and praise is the Hammer rods. Built in the USA and distributed by the wonderful folks at the Tackletrap.

nativefloridian
Angler
Angler

Post by nativefloridian » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:45 am

I have had a klx spinning rod full grip since they have came out. Great rods sensitive and tough.

jcake5
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jcake5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 am

Hi Guys,

Where I live I can have a rod made using what I consider are blanks equal or better than the KLX from $190 to $220 for no frills. For that money I receive back a rod that I worked with the builder to specify what type of blank, handle, guide types, thread color etc. The reason for the lower price is that the builder receives a nice markdown on the materials from his supplier and he does not sell at retail. What I like the most is that he orders various blanks for me to personally check for power and action before the build begins. Now I need to sell my Loomis rods to fund more customs but I will be keeping my Dobyns. Currently on the builders bench is a 7ft. MXF (very soft tip), custom up-locking full cork handle with 12 almost micro guides. This will be a wonderful walleye jig rod and overall finess rod.

Custom is the way to go. I need less rods now to fish various species.
Eric

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks fellas I will def look into the 13 envy and some of the others y'all recommended. It's just hard gettting away from the klx love that thing. May end up with one on every reel if possible :D

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 am

If you bought your other KLX from Kistler you should have some points credited to your account. That will help a little bit.

Frank

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 pm

i'd def go with the envy. i had a klx and sold it because of the taper. sensitivity is excellent on both rods but just couldn't get over the taper of the klx

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:09 am

Make sure you can get your hands on the 13 fishing rods before buying. I don't own one but handling them in store they had a little bit odd feeling ergonomics of the reel seat / foregrip combo. I personally didn't like it but others may love it. Where the KLX rods have a very standard reel seat and foregrip.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 am

Chode wrote:i'd def go with the envy. i had a klx and sold it because of the taper. sensitivity is excellent on both rods but just couldn't get over the taper of the klx
IMO no. They are one of the lightest rods on the market, well built flawless blanks, clean build and you can get it built anyway you want. What didn't you like about the taper? :?

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon