What kind of rod am i looking for?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dnullify
Angler
Angler

Re: What kind of rod am i looking for?

Post by dnullify » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 pm

LowRange wrote:If I were to use a rod from my arsenal to fished what you have listed, I would use either my Zodias 610ML or my Tatula 610M. The neat thing about the Tatula 610M is that the solid tip is only 8 inches long and really only the 1st 4 inches are extra fast and soft.
That's encouraging.
LowRange wrote: I would look for something rated down to 3/16 ounce like a GLoomis BCR663 or something but longer.
In addition to the tatula? I'll take a second look at Gloomis again, I've been going through TW's site for rods that clock in at 1/8-5/8 or somwhere in there. The lightest t-rig I'd throw comes in at about 1/4 oz total, but if I unstand corectly the ideal weight for a rod to get distance would be in the middle of a pure weight range

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:23 pm

I have a solid tip dropshot rod and I can say for sure that it doesn't cast very far. The Tatula may be different, but taking into account that you'll be throwing several baits, I would go with something that will allow you to cast further should you feel the need to. I have the ML version of this rod and can say that it absolutely casts everything in its weight range. To give you an idea of how the rod feels, the ML is (in hand) the same weight and balances out identically to the Megabass Shakeyhead rod, and the blank is plenty sensitive.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:56 am

dnullify wrote:
LowRange wrote:If I were to use a rod from my arsenal to fished what you have listed, I would use either my Zodias 610ML or my Tatula 610M. The neat thing about the Tatula 610M is that the solid tip is only 8 inches long and really only the 1st 4 inches are extra fast and soft.
That's encouraging.
LowRange wrote: I would look for something rated down to 3/16 ounce like a GLoomis BCR663 or something but longer.
In addition to the tatula? I'll take a second look at Gloomis again, I've been going through TW's site for rods that clock in at 1/8-5/8 or somwhere in there. The lightest t-rig I'd throw comes in at about 1/4 oz total, but if I unstand corectly the ideal weight for a rod to get distance would be in the middle of a pure weight range
Not in addition to the Tatula 610M but as an alternative. It sounds to me like you're looking for worm and jig rod able to cast down to 1/8 ounce sinker + soft plastic and that usually means an xtra fast rod rated down to 3/16 or 1/8 ounce of which many exist on the market. A number of rods come to mind such as the E6X 802 JWR and Med Hvy 803C JWR or MossyBack MH BCR803, MH BCR853 and MH BCR893.

The Tatula megatop is a neat rod but in my mind it's more of a power BFS rod able to roll cast down to a 1/16 jighead and small plastic yet bomb up to 1/2 ounce in weight. I'm sure it would work well for your intended applications and be very affordable but those Loomis rods are made for what you want to throw.

Megatop taper vid I found for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ubynOBVyw

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:34 am

Wow yeah, that Megatop does load up oddly.

Having had some time to research and digest various factors about rods,lure weight, and presentation, I've figured more precisely what I'm looking for. With your help of course.
Good distance and accuracy with 7.5g - 14g, 1/8+plastic T-rigs to weightless Senkos. Anything heavier and I'll switch to my other rod. Bottom Contact Sensitivity is the second priority, I've been logging my catches and it turns out more than half the fish I manage to catch I didn't feel the bite - just found the fish when i moved the bait then set the hook. I'm sure a good amount of that is technique and line, but sensitivity on the rod would really help.
These are what I'm looking at now, I'm going through reviews. The 6101MXB is by far the most economic choice, I can't find it locally or I'd check it out and then decide. I'm reading up on the e6x and Zodias it looks like they're direct competitors. I'm tentative on both, I've read poor things concerning their warranty now that shimano has changed their policy.

It's irritating that the zillion line has a 1/8-5/8 m-xf non-megatop rod but the tatula line doesn't!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:02 pm

dnullify wrote:Wow yeah, that Megatop does load up oddly.

Having had some time to research and digest various factors about rods,lure weight, and presentation, I've figured more precisely what I'm looking for. With your help of course.
Good distance and accuracy with 7.5g - 14g, 1/8+plastic T-rigs to weightless Senkos. Anything heavier and I'll switch to my other rod. Bottom Contact Sensitivity is the second priority, I've been logging my catches and it turns out more than half the fish I manage to catch I didn't feel the bite - just found the fish when i moved the bait then set the hook. I'm sure a good amount of that is technique and line, but sensitivity on the rod would really help.
These are what I'm looking at now, I'm going through reviews. The 6101MXB is by far the most economic choice, I can't find it locally or I'd check it out and then decide. I'm reading up on the e6x and Zodias it looks like they're direct competitors. I'm tentative on both, I've read poor things concerning their warranty now that shimano has changed their policy.

It's irritating that the zillion line has a 1/8-5/8 m-xf non-megatop rod but the tatula line doesn't!

You're on the right path in your search for the one. If importing a rod from Japan in an option then there is a light texas rig Daiwa Cronos JDM but shipping costs and warranty are a concern. Good luck on your quest!

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 pm

You mentioned saving up. If you can, the kistler light medium heavy helium 3 would he my pick. I have gone through quite a few rods and its one of my favorites.

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:40 am

Judging by the JDM rods I've read about so far, they almost all have at least one rod like what I'm looking for. I'm probably going to end up importing something eventually. In all of my hobbies, the best stuff comes from japan.
funnily enough there's a bunch of Major Craft models on amazon with free shipping under $150. I just can't make heads or tails of their product line.

I'm not really concerned with warranty at $100-110 or so, my experience with rods so far has been that I typically get my money's worth before the warranty period runs out. I used to just default to shimano products because of their old warranty and I've got a crucial compre and Claris, but their warranty is literally no better than anyone else.

I'm definitely going to get the alphas sv 105. I was thinking about the air, but my definitely not throwing bfs, so it's spool would be far too shallow. I'm going to try and visit a couple tackle stores today and see if I can find any of the rods on my list to handle. Then I'll solidify my budget, either buy the 6101mxb and start saving for a better rod in the future or pony up for something mid-range now.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:16 pm

dnullify wrote: I was fishing the Mag II + 3/16 yesterday on my 734 and was casting plenty far, but that's more than 3/8 oz which is well within that rod's ratings so you're right the rod i'm looking for is somewhere between 1/8oz - 5/8. The tatula sounds about right, except I'm reading that some are saying it's not so good for horizontal bottom presentations (from the bank everything's horizontal). The Phenix Maxim is 1/8-1/2, but it's got a moderate tip and based on a video i saw it's kinda wet noodle-y. I'm having trouble finding alternatives under $175.
St Croix has their 6'10" x-fast blank in a couple price points that might meet your criteria. If Loomis is of interest then an 842 rod should work well for those weights. I hesitate to recommend the 852 because it seems like 1/8 oz is on the low range for that rod.

Bronzeback91
Angler
Angler

Post by Bronzeback91 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 am

I have a Denali Rosewood 7ft 4 medium heavy paired with a steez that has an SV spool and I can throw small 1/8 Oz jigs without a problem, I know it's a rod made for heavier baits, but that SV spool is money and compensate's for that. Ability to throw lighter jigs and still have plenty of power for setting the hook. I know the rosewood is no longer made but they have a finnese jig rod and they retail for under 150 pretty sure.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 am

Bronzeback91 wrote:I know the rosewood is no longer made but they have a finnese jig rod and they retail for under 150 pretty sure.
Rosewood was replaced by Lithium with a slight price increase.

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:00 am

Yeah, the Lithium is a bit out my price range. I've been using 662M Corzza for the past week and a half, and with the
sv105 it's SLINGING flukes out there, and i can get pretty reasonable distance out of Neko rigged trick worms (1/16 nail). I am going to have to try u-tail worms again, I only fished one once on my first day with the sv105 which I wasn't fully used to. I'm thinking Medium power is definitely right though.

Only thing is the Corzza has a "regular" tip, which i'm discovering i'm not a huge fan of for t-rigs/shakey heads. The tip kind of loads up at the end of the cast (fluro) when i'm trying to shake or hop over something which kind of dampens the action of the bait.
I'm liking the lower power for sure, i'm wondering if fast or Xfast would give better action without compromising casting distance with lighter stuff.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:19 am

Perhaps the E6X 852C would be worth looking into?? Still the g.loomis warranty I believe.