Is there such a thing as too many rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is there such a thing as too many rods?

Post by Dink Dawg » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:59 am

I think the IRS should embrace a rod stimulus tax credit. That's what brings a nation out of a financial recession.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:23 pm

I'd keep them all and still get the nrx. I know you said you like fishing shallow but sometimes you have to go deep or get skunked. The next is THE rod for fishing bottom contact in deep water. The fish are moving shallow on my home lake now and gorging on shad, but soon they will be back out on deep ledges and the 7'5" nix is definitely the best weapon to catch those fish according to all the reviews and info I have found. I say if you can afford it, then you should definitely get it

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:03 am

timsford wrote:I'd keep them all and still get the nrx. I know you said you like fishing shallow but sometimes you have to go deep or get skunked. The next is THE rod for fishing bottom contact in deep water. The fish are moving shallow on my home lake now and gorging on shad, but soon they will be back out on deep ledges and the 7'5" nix is definitely the best weapon to catch those fish according to all the reviews and info I have found. I say if you can afford it, then you should definitely get it
The only thing is that our lakes are about 5 ft deep with the exception of maybe a channel here and there that may get to 7 ft. Maybe the 893 would be overkill for what I am doing??

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:36 am

Dustys60 wrote:
timsford wrote:I'd keep them all and still get the nrx. I know you said you like fishing shallow but sometimes you have to go deep or get skunked. The next is THE rod for fishing bottom contact in deep water. The fish are moving shallow on my home lake now and gorging on shad, but soon they will be back out on deep ledges and the 7'5" nix is definitely the best weapon to catch those fish according to all the reviews and info I have found. I say if you can afford it, then you should definitely get it
The only thing is that our lakes are about 5 ft deep with the exception of maybe a channel here and there that may get to 7 ft. Maybe the 893 would be overkill for what I am doing??
No, not really. The rod doesn't feel like it is 7'5" when you are casting with it. It makes an awesome lightweight flipping stick.
Flip/Pitch a 3/8 oz jig with it with no problem. You don't have to use it for fishing deeper water.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Does the 893 have enough power to get a fish away from wood fast or out of scattered pads? Or is it more of a open water rod?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:18 pm

Dustys60 wrote:Does the 893 have enough power to get a fish away from wood fast or out of scattered pads? Or is it more of a open water rod?
I wouldn't use it for heavy cover or to try and turn a huge fish from wood but it is a very fun rod, very sensitive and has that it factor. A light flipping stick that has more power than the 893 is the Evergreen Hercules Airy Flip.

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:11 am

Yes, I realized I use a couple rods 90% of the time and the rest don't see much action. I've since downsized from 40 to 10 the past year. I no longer feel like a hoarder :lol:

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:16 pm

only a woman/significant other would ask that question :lol:

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:55 pm

ayo8 wrote:only a woman/significant other would ask that question :lol:
That question would be "Why do you need so many fishing rods?".

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:21 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Lol maybe the 14 yrs w her is starting to rub off. The funny thing is my fishing partner keeps his gear at my house so it looks like I got twice the amount of rods. So than when she goes in the shop she thinks they r all mine and really has a cow. In reality I think my goal is to have higher quality rods and reels opposed to quantity of lesser.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:31 am

its not about how many rods you OWN, its about how man rods you bring on the water with you.

its ok to own 50 rods, just as long as you keep it to 6 or 7 on the water...

single best bass angler I know fishes with three rods and reels.....and two of them are spinning rods.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:18 am

Dustys60 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Lol maybe the 14 yrs w her is starting to rub off. The funny thing is my fishing partner keeps his gear at my house so it looks like I got twice the amount of rods. So than when she goes in the shop she thinks they r all mine and really has a cow. In reality I think my goal is to have higher quality rods and reels opposed to quantity of lesser.
I wasn't necessarily talking about your wife, just a general statement. I have been consolidating to upgrade my rods for years. I own about 30 rods now. I weed out rods every so often that I never use, nothing wrong with that.The number of rods that I own goes up and down over time. You will have to decide how many rods is right for you.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:49 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Dustys60 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
I wasn't necessarily talking about your wife, just a general statement. I have been consolidating to upgrade my rods for years. I own about 30 rods now. I weed out rods every so often that I never use, nothing wrong with that.The number of rods that I own goes up and down over time. You will have to decide how many rods is right for you.
You may not have been talking about her but I was lol.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:29 am

Dustys60 wrote:You may not have been talking about her but I was lol.
Ok, no problem. Your not alone, my wife asks the same question, and I'm sure we are not the only ones.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:23 am

you can never have too many.